Volume Pedal Impedance and Active / Passive pickups

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Volume Pedal Impedance and Active / Passive pickups

Postby smash » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:19 am

Hey Smarter People than I am.

Wanting to purchase a Volume Pedal for my guitar pedal board. Basically, it will be the first thing in the chain. Followed by a Fuzz, then a Wah, then a Buffer... then everything else.

Guitar wise, currently everything I have has active pickups - either EMG's or the Active Maton accoustic.

From what I've read, this should mean that I need the volume pedal to have an Impedance around 25k to 50k...

However... I'm hope to buy a PRS Custom 24 in the next year or so... which will be passive, and so apparently require a "normal" impedance of 250k. So... apparently, I need a totally different volume pedal for the PRS, than the EMG Strats...

..unless I run an active pedal after my buffer I guess?

BUT, the Ernie Ball 40th Anniversary is non-powered, but claims to work with both Passive AND Active pickups? It's 250k? Are they doing something really clever, or have they just decided it doesn't matter, or have I missed something completely? Their other pedals are marketed for either Active or Passive pickups.

Simon "Smash" Ashby.
smash
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Volume Pedal Impedance and Active / Passive pickups

Postby Text_Edifice » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:24 am

Hey Smash,

I have a volume pedal I use with a lapsteel for pedal style swells.

It's a lo impedence pedal (like the one you'd probably be looking at with your active pickups).

It works fine / has never been an issue although technically it probably produces an impedance mismatch.

I think you could probably stick a buffer pedal before it if you got a different guitar and you found it was actually a problem.

YMMV.
Dave Carter

http://www.twitter.com/davecarter
Text_Edifice
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby smash » Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:14 pm

I ended up getting a good price on a Mission Engineering VM-Pro, so hopefully that will take care of everything.

Cheers,

S>

Simon "Smash" Ashby.
smash
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby HA_DA_JA » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:41 am

RE: PRS Cu24
Just remember if you are buying the S2 version it will have Asian made pickups in it . They sound nothing like the USA made PRS pickups.
Dale Smith
HA_DA_JA
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to The Turtlerock Forum