Avid Artist mix not recognised

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Avid Artist mix not recognised

Postby dave01.cooper » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:14 pm

Hey guys,

These things are more temperamental than Melbourne weather I've found. Has anyone else got connection issues on their Mac based machines?

- We run one of the older Euphonix 8 fader styled ones on our MacPro and only likes to be turned on once OS X has booted & on the desktop screen otherwise, forget about it. Need to reboot and do it all over again.
- Also run another one on my home Mac Mini (newer Avid Artist Mix) that use to work perfectly fine but as of updating to 10.8.5 OS X, updating Eucon Control to 3.3.2 & then updating the units firmware to 1.5.4, I'm getting sweet bugger all connectivity with ProTools 10.3.8 (LE & HD)

Eucon sees it & locks to the surface but no action within Protools even though I've clicked the 'Eucon Control' box in peripherals.

Any clues? I need to write some crazy automation and these things are a godsend for that!
I'd contact Avid but I only just saw that you need to pay for an ASC (Avid Support Code) in order to get assistance. uhhhh what now?!

Thanks
Dave Cooper

E - dave @ soundmachinestudios . com . au
W - soundmachinestudios.com.au
dave01.cooper
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Avid Artist mix not recognised

Postby Chinagraf » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:34 pm

Hi Dave,
- are you/ have you tried using a static IP? That used to fix mine hooking up intermittently.
- Maybe try posting over in the Avid DUC in the artist forum.

I am running on Windows on all systems except for my portable rig (Macbook Pro) and I too have had
issues with the latest Eucon and PT 10.3.9. On Windows 10 with PT 11 they work like a dream
On PT10 It was working fine then all of a sudden I started getting messages the Eucon library was missing. Deleting and re-installing Eucon seems to have fixed it for now.

AND, I hear you about the ASC - I simply want to change my email on my Artist account and can't even get an answer from support about how to do it without paying.
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Sammas » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:14 pm

To get my surfaces to work in tools I need to go to the Eucon menu inside system preferences. Hit the stop button, wait 10 seconds or so and hit the start button. Should be right after that.
Sammas

Postby Alistair » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:08 pm

To get mine to work I have to turn it on and off, spin in circles three times, cross my fingers and light some incense. 50% success rate.
Great surface, but connection drives me up the wall.
Alistair McLean
Alistair
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Ben M » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:39 am

Hi Dave
I run a couple of artist mix units.
I'm on 10.8.5 and run Eucon 2.7.1.
Are you sure 10.8.5 is happy with 3.3.2?

When setting them up I had trouble getting them to work. I tried all of the troubleshooting. Finally found the problem being that the "workstation" needed to be named exactly the same as the computer in the "workstation" window in Eucontrol settings (from memory it had to be named somewhere else also). My workstation was named something slightly different and as soon as I changed that.... BOOM! Everything worked and haven't had any problems since.

Hope you get it working man!
Ben M
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby dave01.cooper » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:40 am

I'm glad it's not just me tearing my hair out with these dammed things!!

Are you sure 10.8.5 is happy with 3.3.2?

Ben - not entirely sure mate, just read some forums and went on the 'recommended' advice by Avid for the 10.8.5 build. I might downgrade Eucon to 2.7.1 and see what happens. What firmware are your artist mix units out of curiosity?

- are you/ have you tried using a static IP? That used to fix mine hooking up intermittently.

Nah have never tried that actually... Would you just assign an IP address range for it to look for in Network Prefs or am I missing an option somewhere in Eucon to change it to a static IP?
Such BS about having to pay for support for a product that I have bought. Surely support should be for free as if there's an issue, it's generally that they haven't provided enough detail in their FAQ about how to fix it; thus the onus is on them. I think it's time I learned how to use Reaper better.....

Will try all the options given, thanks gents!
Dave Cooper

dave01.cooper
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby dave01.cooper » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:42 am

Hey guess what...

it just started working again without changing anything.

=))

Give me 2 days and I'll be asking for help again.
Dave Cooper

dave01.cooper
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Drumstruck » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:12 pm

fwiw I've had that problem with a number of macs and ctrl surfaces - fixed IP didn't help but correct boot order always worked (mac first then Ta@#$% or presonus first then mac.....).

yes to Reaper :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fjgz4el3pi1r2 ... o.jpg?dl=0

<edit> you guys cursed me! I just touched the transport on the faderport and my MBP died an instant death.... (it got better after a reboot and a clean reboot.)
Ian Dare
Drumstruck
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Sammas » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:35 pm

dave01.cooper wrote: Would you just assign an IP address range for it to look for in Network Prefs or am I missing an option somewhere in Eucon to change it to a static IP?
Such BS about having to pay for support for a product that I have bought. Surely support should be for free as if there's an issue, it's generally that they haven't provided enough detail in their FAQ about how to fix it; thus the onus is on them. I think it's time I learned how to use Reaper better.....

Will try all the options given, thanks gents!

You don't assign an IP range, you assign specific IP addresses. You need to make sure they don't conflict with whatever else is happening in your studio (with your wifi for example).

As an example - my wifi router is 192.168.0.1. My mac pro's wifi is 192.168.0.2, with everything else connected to the same wifi being similar (192.168.0.###).

My artist controllers hang off ethernet port 1 of my mac, so I have set my ethernet port 1 IP address manually to 10.0.0.1. My Artist mix is set to 10.0.0.2, and my Artist transport is 10.0.0.3. You set your appropriate ethernet port's IP address in the network menu inside system preferences.

You then need to tell Eucon that this is your desired Eucon network. You do this within the Eucon menu inside system prefs, using a little dropdown menu to the top right of the dialogue box. On your Artist Mix, if you hold the left and right arrows to the left of the pan knobs when powering on, it brings up the IP setup menu. Just turn the DHCP to 'static' (or maybe it is called 'manual', I can't remember), and set your appropriate IP address.

You can run everything within the same IP range, but Eucon isn't supported over wifi so I have found it better to use different IP ranges (essentially two different networks). Subnet mask I just set to 255.255.255.0 for everything.
Sammas

Postby dave01.cooper » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:42 am

Excellent info Nath, thank you so much. This is the IP info I was always looking for, will look into it if ever run into an issue again.
Think a static IP will work really well for our Macpro artist mix.

Cheers!

<edit> you guys cursed me! I just touched the transport on the faderport and my MBP died an instant death.... (it got better after a reboot and a clean reboot.)

I jinxed you Ian... my bad. Have you tried turning it off and on again? (in the worst IT crowd voice)
Dave Cooper

dave01.cooper
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Return to The Turtlerock Forum