u47 comparison

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Re: u47 comparison

Postby The Tasmanian » Mon May 02, 2016 1:24 pm

That is interesting Rick - one day I want to hear a really good one.
Do you use yours on vocals?
C h r i z t o w n o
The Tasmanian
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby rick » Fri May 06, 2016 8:02 am

I certainly have used a u47fet alot on vocals but that has corresponded
Directly with me not having a u47 tube at the time .
Currently i am spoilt for choice for vocals
In my opinion the u47 fet is a great vocal mike , but its different to the tube
If there was some law about only being aloud to have 1 microphone
It would be a fet 47

The internet doesnt really agree with me .
Rick O'Neil
I think we went to different schools together
turtlerockmastering.com
we listen
rick

Postby The Tasmanian » Fri May 06, 2016 8:24 am

There must be so many sick 47fets out there - all seem to have come my way, although I have used a couple that I liked on acoustic guitar.

I presume the owners of the ones I've used don't realize they are not performing to their best - they say that they sound "great"....
Most 47fet owners probably think that as there is no tube involved - so they are maintenance free.
Also - its surprising how lazy people (and studios) are with maintaining their gear in general.

You are in the enviable position to have a few 47fets, keep them 100% maintained, and hence its obvious when one is getting sick.
We are very lucky we have Gunter in this country!
C h r i z t o w n o
The Tasmanian
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby berkfinger » Fri May 06, 2016 10:59 pm

Oh yes and another really high quality, versatile, more affordable option from Grosser:

http://www.voxorama.com/mikrofone/detai ... a-m36.html

As far as I understand it's Andreas' idea, but manufactured by MBHO. It's a variant on a mic they make, but with a k47 capsule in it.

I would describe it is ultra high SPL (right in front of kick drum sound hole or beater is no problem), clean as a whistle and fairly dark for a condenser...

We have a pair and they are used every session: drum overheads, especially in Gly Johns setup, front of kick (sounds VERY similar to 47 FET here). Acoustics, toms, bass amps, guitar amps. Male vocals when the person has a lot of bite, pianos and on female vocals it is particularly good. It is the best hand clap mic I have ever heard, too!

Oh yes and it is variable pattern and much easier to fit in tight spaces, compared to a big old 47 or 87 or 67..

They have only made one small run so far and the guy who runs the company insists on German construction and dealing one on one one with customers, but it's a pretty amazing mic, regardless of the price!

The company MBHO also seems pretty top notch too, they build capsules for the likes of Bock I believe...

Anyway, just thought I would post in case it is helpful, because I am always thinking that if people everywhere knew about these they would be a studio staple..
Simon R. Berckelman
berkfinger

Postby Text_Edifice » Sat May 07, 2016 2:12 pm

They look great - when you say they only did one small run, are there still mics available?
Dave Carter

http://www.twitter.com/davecarter
Text_Edifice
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby berkfinger » Tue May 10, 2016 12:21 am

Text_Edifice wrote:They look great - when you say they only did one small run, are there still mics available?

Hey I just spoke to him and his 4 left of the first run. Then there is a few months wait before he does another..

I have been thinking of getting a 3rd and they seem to be selling well, so I guess there will be another run. Keep in mind this is a person who refuses to advertise and only deals locally. He is anti forums, ebay etc! So if you really want one I might have to bring you one in my backpack next time I come to Oz... or help with the shipping..
Simon R. Berckelman
berkfinger

Postby Text_Edifice » Tue May 10, 2016 9:44 am

I want a pair, but doesn't sound like they will ship?
Dave Carter

http://www.twitter.com/davecarter
Text_Edifice
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Zarven Kara » Tue May 10, 2016 6:18 pm

Well thanks for the help people's. It great to be able to have so much info at your finger tips. I decided to get an original Vintage u47FET. Firstly its become a legendary microphone for a reason not for nothing and secondly I can sell it for the same and if not more later on. Might as well have the 5K sitting in microphone value getting used than invested somewhere else that does zero. So buy before you try is what I did, Ill give it a grilling when it comes in a few days and probably get Gunter to look it over after that. Thanks again.....
Zarven Kara

Postby berkfinger » Wed May 11, 2016 4:12 am

Text_Edifice wrote:I want a pair, but doesn't sound like they will ship?

Hmmm I just spoke to him and the short answer is no.

BUT I am coming to Sydney on the 22nd for a couple of weeks if anyone needs anything from Berlin. I don't mind putting some of these in my carry on (think customs is fine, because I will just say they are mine and for work). Maybe you can get me a 6 pack of beer or something?
Simon R. Berckelman
berkfinger

Previous

Return to The Turtlerock Forum