Switch Wiring Outboard Racks

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Switch Wiring Outboard Racks

Postby chris p » Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:22 pm

Can anyone recommend either a ready made unit or DIY site for switching balanced audio lines?

In particular, I'd like a switch that can swap the order of EQ and Compression in my outboard, so with a flick of a switch I can go from -

STUFF --> EQ --> Comp --> STUFF

to

STUFF --> Comp --> EQ --> STUFF

without fiddling with patch bays and patch cords.
chris p
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Howard Jones » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:47 pm

Hi Chris, we sell the Signex Smartpatch for this type of application. It depends on what budget you're working with as, at around $2K, this device may cost more than you care to spend. I can send you a pdf about it so that you can read the detail on the specs and capabilities of the Smartpatch.
Howard Jones
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby chris p » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:39 pm

Thanks Howard

I've looked the Signex up on the web, and its a patchbay plus a lot more, where I'm looking for something less than a patchbay.

That said, its not that expensive given some of the other web solutions I've come across - a company called RDL make a solid state balanced audio relay, the ST-SSR1, which would do the trick for me except (on my wiring design) I'd need six of them at US$83 a pop plus rack case plus 24V DC regulated power plus 12 XLR sockets and change, so there's 1k simply for the ability to swap stereo EQ and Compression in the audio chain. The Signex does a lot more than twice that, so bang for the buck its not so bad.

I still need to get back to you on the Sontonics mics - I haven't forgotten, and will touch base towards the end of the month if that's OK.
chris p
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Howard Jones » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:47 pm

Hi Chris,

Yup, that's fine about the Sontronics. The switching/patching issue is probably addressed most easily and inexpensively with a little handmade unit which uses either relay switching or - gasp - direct switching of the signals.
I'm not looking for any arguments about gold-plated vacuum-tube 57 bit audio signal paths, but... you could consider wiring up a switch or two to do the job. Since your anticipated switching is limited in scope, a switch would do and, being passive would be very cost effective. And, after all, you can get pretty high-quality switches with gold plated contacts.

Cheers,
Howard.
Howard Jones
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby rick » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:35 pm

i was going to suggest just that but even cruder, get a bunch of dpdt switches and wire up a panel that does what you want
you may have to switch a couple of switches at a time if everything is balanced but it will be way cheaper then the actual one solution switch you need
( which is available from eao and cost about $750 each if you order 10 !)
i have a gold plated contact eao switch in my hand which will end up in a speaker switching system in due course .
so if building relay boards are not you go , head down to jaycar and buy some heavy duty old style switches, however try a couple of different styles because i have had some switching disasters with bad contacts or inferior contacts.

my studio if full of devices that use switches or relays to move audio around.

if you want really really expensive audio relays to make your boards i have a cupboard full of erni audio relays (rrp $120 each) that i will happily sell for $10 bucks a pop to whoever needs them on this forum.
rick

Postby rob » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:39 pm

Chris

without blowing my horn too hard, this is the kind of crazy "one off" thing that i do. I'd be happy to crunching some numbers and options for you.
Email me if you are interested
rob
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby chris p » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:35 pm

Hey Rob - Thanks for the offer - I'll em you off list if that's OK.

Rick - Hold that thought. Rob and/or I may be in touch!

To Everyone - thanks for the input and assistance.[/i]
chris p
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to The Turtlerock Forum