Tape Echos

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Tape Echos

Postby Luke Garfield » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:10 pm

I want one.

Actually 70% of the time i use a tape delay in mixes - plug-in however.

Recommendations, criticisms etc.

Cheers,

Luke.
Luke Garfield

Postby michael » Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:36 pm

copycat is a good place to start.
michael

Postby Luke Garfield » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:37 pm

Cool have checked out a few copicats - any specific models.

I have also had a bit of a look at the roland x01 series of tape echo units - any comments on those??

How about the Fulltone tube tape delay unit. Nice looking solid unit.

Also I really enjoy the screwy sounds you can get and I know some units only really offer nice echos and not the wild "space dub" type effects.
Luke Garfield

Postby michael » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:56 pm

unfortunately I'm really the wrong person, you probably know more than me if you've been looking into them Luke. I've only played with two tape echos but never been able to compare units side by side.

but from my limited experience the copicats, space echos and fulltones would be something I'd be all over regardless of model.
michael

Postby Ausrock » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:23 pm

Geez, I remember going to a "trade" night put on when the Space Echo, etc., was first released by Roland.........(Was held at the Workies.......the one that came down in the earthquake).........anyways, apart from that night, I have never had the opportunity to play with one and by the time I had returned to a semi-serious state about music they had become bloody collectable.

8)
Ausrock
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Henry » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:32 pm

My friend saw the Fixx in the States and had a good chat with the guitarist and had a look at his pedal board. He bought the new Boss echo pedal and said that alot of guitarists were trading in their Line 6 delays for the Boss one. . My mate bought one btw and also has the Line 6 delay and confirms the Boss pedal is better. Worth a look. Can't remember the model.

http://www.bossus.com/index.asp?pg=1&tmp=121

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/ ... _20-1.html
Last edited by Henry on Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry

Postby harry » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:17 pm

Hi Luke,

i haven't played a copicat yet but i can tell you what fun a spacecho is,
after selling my sre 555 years ago (along with my fender rhodes and jet phaser) i finally found a re201 that is newer than when it left the factory.

i can't think of how many records of the last few decades use this sound to good effect: the feedback echo is common in much dub music, the space echo is used on the rhodes playing of countless 70's funk/jazz records (herbie hancock)

a guitar sounds great through one. The re301/501/555 have a chorus in them (based on the boss ce1).

i tip mine on its side causing the tape to move at different speeds in a random way - when playing sounds with a soft attack and long sustain you get the most beautiful natural chorus!

the spring reverb sounds crap when you solo it but after a while (depends on your taste) you realise how great it is. It's not realistic but it sits incredibly well in the mix.

Its hard to find one of these in good condition and the vintage prices are huge $500 - $1000.

bear in mind that these units usually sound pretty grungy, when you select slow tape movement (longer delay) the tape moves at a fairly slow speed and it sounds pretty crap on many instruments.

the sre 555 and re501 have their playback heads spread out further so you can get longer delays with the tape moving fast enough for fair/good clarity.

if you have the $$$ the fulltone is supose to be the absolute best!

HAIL THE SPAAAAAACECHO!!!
harry
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby JustinS » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:14 pm

I remember the first time I heard a Roland 501... my first thought was "Aghh, that's the sound of delay I've been after all this time"... Now if I can only convince someone to give me one!

Justin.
JustinS

Postby Chris H » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:28 pm

The Electro Harmonics Memoryman was a great substitute without the hassles of tape maintenance. It had a nice lo-fi grit to the decay and the option to mess with the delay time as a note was on a long delay offered some great sounds. Pitty a "reputable guitar servicing company" stole all of the delay chips out of mine when they returned it saying it was not repairable. A year later i got a 2nd opinion and it was then the missing chips were discovered!!!
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby Kris » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:46 pm

Kris

Postby chris p » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:36 pm

There's a tape delay on evil bay, misfiled under "synthesisers" so its going cheap, but only got 20 hours to go

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Vintage-1960s-Me ... dZViewItem
chris p
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to The Turtlerock Forum