Playmaster Pro 3

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Playmaster Pro 3

Postby dex002 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:00 pm

Hey I'm in need of an inexpensive amp to drive my dynaudio m1's. Has anyone ever had any experience with the playmaster pro 3 kits? Are they as good as the specs read? Any advice would be great.
dex002

Postby Chris H » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:43 pm

I don't know about the playmaster but sometimes specs alone can be misleading. I would look for a good quality 70's hi fi amp that has pre amp out / power amp in connections. Disconnect the pre amp and go from your mixer or interface into the power amp. Sansui AU 555 is good or Merantz. A step up would be to find a Quad solid state amp 2nd hand
I used the AU555 untill i picked up a 300 watt Linearphase amp (not phase linear) from Roger Savage's sale in Melb a few years ago. The only drawback or the sansui was its a bit underpowered. But i preffered it over a Hafler 100 watt amp i had the use of. Another good amp that can be found for around $300 is the early Crown Amcron amps. I think the model was a DC 150 A or 300 A .
Good luck.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby Chris H » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:02 pm

While i'm at it i have a dislike of mos-fet amps for the studio.They tend to go down hill a bit when used all day and get hot so check out if the Playmaster is mos- fet. What do others reckon ,or am i predjudesed.
(can't be bothered with spell check.I'm on holidays, give me a break!
I'm dislecsick)
(( invitation goes out to all those who really know about amp design and studio use to throw in their 2 cents worth.))
Should have a poll or something with opinions on which amps in the 2nd hand market have fast transient response, loads of power, linear frequency response etc and are cheap. I bet there is a load of older top shelf hi fi amps that would be better than the budget home studio amps on the market.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby dex002 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:44 pm

Thanks a bunch Chris. The Playmasters are mosfet, so thanks for your tip on that one. I look foward to hearing what others have to say too.
dex002

Return to The Turtlerock Forum