Packaging Question

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Packaging Question

Postby walding » Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:51 pm

hey guys,

i've recently finished a record and am happy to say i am proud as punch of the material and we're looking forward to revisiting turtlerock for the mastering.

i have a question re packaging and printing that i thought someone could help me with. for the project i've designed all of the imagery for both the packaging and the disc itself but would like to know of an affordable company that will do a simple single panel cardboard digipack.

i have been ringing around the sydney area and for what i am looking for i have been quoted quite steep rates - $9.50 per unit - which financially is just too much. any ideas? we are looking into cardboard packaging in particular.

also if anyone is interested, visit Two States website for a listen to two tracks that will be on the release.
walding
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby ottowr » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:54 pm

Try Clive at MAD CDs. I don't know what his prices are like, but he's a good man so I expect they'd be about as cheap as anyone else.
ottowr
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby walding » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:58 pm

i'd thought of clive. i went through mad for some pressing last year. might see if he can help me out.

any other options guys?
walding
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Kris » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:10 am

Dave Metcalf. Diskbank.

www.diskbank.com.au
Kris

Postby walding » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:35 pm

thanks for the suggestions :)

i do have one question outside of outsourcing the artwork though. has anyone ever put together packaging by themselves? i would have no problem doing this (outside of outsourcing the screenprinting on the actual discs) to save money.

my problem here would be, has anyone ever sourced appropriate materials to do this? i.e decent cardboard and digipack plastic cd trays? i've looked around online for the materials to put something like this together but have had no luck.
walding
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Kris » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:53 am

seriously...... get someone to do it. It's just not worth the hassle to save a couple of bucks.
Kris

Postby Martin » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:14 am

a standard jewel or single case is really simple to make up yourself if the run is quite small, i make them up as needed, save stacks over a big run of cases + printing

but unless you already own or have access to good printers and the time to do it, you won't save much money doing it yourself...
Martin
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby walding » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:15 pm

clive at mad gave the best quote i've received so far, offering simple digipack packaging (providing i do the artwork - which i've done) at a run of 500 for only $1400.

that price i think is the best i can hope to get. thanks for the advice on self packaging. i'm just trying to way up whether i should go down the road of the simple digipack or not. that is a bloody good price.

i might be able to get away with pressings and packaging for under $2000 here thanks to clive.
walding
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to The Turtlerock Forum