Recording feedback?

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Recording feedback?

Postby Simon B » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:38 pm

Is there a safe way to record feedback from a guitar using an AEA R84 ribbon and a chandler LTD1 neve clone......... The amps I have available are a jmp super lead 100w, and a mesa boogie subway rocket........ and most likly using a 70's tele althugh my other guitar is an ibanez rg 520....

This isnt for a client it is for me to record some of my own stuff when I have time so it wont be for a couple of years..... thing is the R84 with pop filter through the chandler is my favourite guitar colour. it sounds full, thick and fat.

My favourite transparent recording is an m69 through the Langevin Dual Vocal Combo.
I have other combos I like to use.

but for the time being I dont have the time or patience to replace my ribbon. I have never torn a ribbon and I guess I should just to find out just how easy or hard it is to do, but at the moment I really really like how it sounds and that is a little too expensive lesson to learn at the moment......
any help would be greatly apreciated
Simon B
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Kurt » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:25 pm

If you're worried about the volume needed to get beserk feedback then just record it from further away. I doubt you're likely to go over 100-110db (I do PA for metal bands and my system is about this volume) Check the mic's stats to see how hot it can handle.
Kurt
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Andy Walters » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:32 am

The AEA will handle the way you do it mate.
Andy Walters

Postby rick » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:25 pm

the hassle with ribbons is out of order movement usually caused by wind blasts, so the solution is usually to use a popper stopper (or two if your still scared!)
rick

Postby Trent » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:53 am

feedback can be tricky to record if you have a slightly drunk (and/or lower than average intelligence) lead guitarist.

right at the end of a great take, he moves over to the guitar amp to "work the feedback" only to find something in his way. not wanting to miss his big finale, he kicks the thing out of the way and gets in close to the speakers to produce some guitar feedback magic!!!

its all over, he turns around and looks at me with a grin on his face... "did you get that one! it was hot!!!"

i reply over the talkback "it was great... untill you kicked the mic stand over"

dont worry mark, it was an sm57 not a U87
Trent

Postby mfdu » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:12 pm

chest thump, crush beer can on forehead

"thank you'se all"

i love my feedback.

i believe a room mic does a better job of capturing all those frequencies than a close mic.

in which case, you'll definately have no problem with a ribbon in a near or distant position - sing it with me - just dont put a ribbon anywhere where you can feel a breeze.

and with a room mic, the guitarist is less likely to kick the stand out of the way! (nice one trent)

chris.
mfdu
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby mark rachelle » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:54 pm

well at least its not the drummer pushing over an overhead with an 87 on it,
mark rachelle

Postby Chris H » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:55 am

mark rachelle wrote:well at least its not the drummer pushing over an overhead with an 87 on it,

A real hazard when using good mics to record live school concerts. After my first mic tumble (no major dammage) i got my hands on a pair of heavy duty stands and a few sandbags. Still some people say it takes a few drops to get a mic to peak performance.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby mfdu » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:03 am

[quote="Chris H"]Still some people say it takes a few drops to get a mic to peak performance.[/quote]

i know a couple of people who could do with a good dropping, too.

:)

chris.
mfdu
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to The Turtlerock Forum