quiet mobile phone carrier?

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

quiet mobile phone carrier?

Postby Trent » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:39 am

anyone know what network doesnt cause radio interference? im getting tired of my monitors doing their own little song and dance all day!!!

thanks
Trent

Postby Kurt » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:08 am

You could just turn your phone off ;)
Kurt
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby JustinS » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:07 pm

CDMA... now that Orange is on the way out the choice is Telstra.

But seriously, turn it off... check it at intervals of your choice. You are in control of your phone, not the phone in control of you... or something like that... hmmm

Justin.
JustinS

Postby Martin » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:56 am

i find i can move my phone a matter of centimetres to stop it interfearing with my monitors, includes the car too

tried making a home for it in various parts of the room?
Martin
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Kurt » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:05 am

I just have to point the top of my phone away from my monitors.
Kurt
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Chris H » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:03 am

The mobile phone ended up being tracked last week when i was converting a cassette to CD, using MOTU 896 with Logic 7
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby mfdu » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:48 am

CDMA doesn't bling through electric lines like a GPS based phone.

i know it's been said before, but i'm used to that.

(intake of breath prior to rant)

if you're in a session with a client, do you think its poor ettiquite to answer the phone to someone else?

if you answer yes, then you'll never record the phone becuase you'll either leave it turned off, or leave it somewhere other than in the control room, beside the console.

do you stop the pay-clock while you're on the call? you're obviously not working for the client in front of yo, so it seems only fair . . .

mobile phones are the bane of good behaviour in public places. if you can't live without it, then fine. just don't inflict it on clients or strangers in the bank queue ok?

and if you're on the phone in public and having a great old chat about your piles, or how much you pay your accountant, then expect a smack upside the head from me.

did you know that once upon a time, mobile phones didn't exist?
really. it's true. how did we live back then, huh?

in blissful ignorance of what we were missing.

chris.
mfdu
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby JustinS » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:09 pm

Thanks Chris!

Sums up how I feel sometimes... having said that... I do own a mobile (oops)... but I'm trying to decrease my reliance on it :x

Do you remember a time when people made plans anyone?? Rather than the oh yeah... I'll just call you on the day...

Justin.
JustinS

Postby Chris H » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:49 pm

mfdu wrote:`if you're in a session with a client, do you think its poor ettiquite to answer the phone to someone else?

if you answer yes, then you'll never record the phone because you'll either leave it turned off, or leave it somewhere other than in the control room, beside the console.

chris.

...`"if you're in a session with a client, do you think its poor etiquette to answer the phone to someone else?" .......Yes

......."if you answer yes, then you'll never record the phone because you'll either leave it turned off, or leave it somewhere other than in the control room, beside the console"..... Not necessarily so.

In my day job as sound tech at the school i work in, the mobile is needed to respond to such emergencies as when a teacher needs someone to push the AV button on the classroom TV to receive the video feed etc.etc.

I would not take the risk of letting the mobile interrupt a mixing or more importantly a tracking session for a client in my "after hours job" .

I'm still wondering if anyone else ends up with the mobile interference recorded or is it unique to my set up, indicating something is wrong?
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby Martin » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:53 pm

in hundreds of recordings its happened once, and it was in time with the strings being kinda muted before a massive distorted guitar chorus, and sounded cool, so i left it in!

can post up a sound byte if anyone is curious
Martin
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby mfdu » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:23 pm

martin - i'm interested in that soundclip. i have to admit, i love found sounds and happy accidents, and the mobile phone has become a part of our environment in many ways.

chris h - i have certainly had the phone beep into recordings.
if i really have to be available, i transfer the mobile to the landline (cordless handset) and turn the mobile off.
it's ok, but a bit inconvenient when you forget to undivert!!!!

i used to think i could leave the phone on silent but once it went off while i was on the talkback to the talent. sprung dude. like, totally.

because the whole house is my studio i just make everyone leave their phones on the kitchen table, on silent with no vibrate. got a couple of rechargers. safe and (no) sound.

if you've got a reception area, make a sign - "phone point". provide recharging. that might work for the clients.

got a friend (yes. i do.) who's a primary school teacher. she sneaks mobile phone ettiquite sessions in with her students.

c.
mfdu
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Martin » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:32 pm

oh well my memory was a bit off, not a massive distorted guitar part at all hahaha its just another rhythm part... anyway here it is..

also theres a bit more buzzing than i thought, it happens softly first then its really obviousthe second time

http://www.martinmulholland.com/layovermephonebuzz.aif

this is the version of the song pre-mastering, before i got it mastered i cleaned up the guitar part and took it out
Martin
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Trent » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:30 pm

i just want my wife to be able to contact me when shes home alone at night or traveling home from uni on the train.
Trent

Postby Kris » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:12 am

or you could just do what they do at Turtlerock.... build the studio in a dead spot. Damn Vodafone.
Kris

Postby JulienG » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:51 pm

Kris wrote:Damn Vodafone.

Yeah, but that's not hard with Voda, they've gotten a lot better over the last few years, but they still have some bad drop outs.
JulienG
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Return to The Turtlerock Forum