Suggestions on ear bud headphones (or similar)

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Suggestions on ear bud headphones (or similar)

Postby astrovic » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:12 pm

Hey all

I spend roughly 3 hours a day on a train, and would like to use some of that time doing more than perving on all the hot chicks* and playing frickin Free Cell.

(* anyone who has caught the Melbourne -> Geelong train will know how absurd a comment that is)

I have a laptop and know how to use it, and would like to spend more time than I do on the train doing audio stuff, basically non-critical listening stuff like editing, layout, formatting etc etc.

Problem I have is that all I can really squeeze into my bag (along with said laptop) are you little ear bud headphones. Apart from them sounding like substantial arse, they do tend to cark it and quickly.

Is there such a thing as high quality ear buds? Or is this an oxymoron? Am I fooling myself when the sound quality is probably limited by the headphone out on the laptop? Would I be better off getting a back pack to replace my current laptop bag, so I can fit in a pair of real headphones along with my laptop, cut lunch, apple and miscellanous small arms (a Falling Down reference there for the train spotters)? Would something like an Mbox Mini be sensible to at least get me in the starting stalls sound wise? Should I just shut up and drink more?
Chris L
astrovic
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby lonearranger » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:42 pm

The ultimate ears products are pretty good - until they break and you try to get any help from logitech support, before logitech the support was great. I have a set of super.fi 5 pros, that are pretty good - fair amount of noise cut. Just need to get used to having the buds in your ears. Cables are replaceable.

I am now using their metro fi 170s for my daily stint on sydney busses finest, and they are pretty good for <$100. Will probably pick up another set of the 5 pros when I get around to it.

With all the noise on the train you are never going to get it perfect.

I tried a set of the bose noise cancelling headphones in the apple store the other day, was pretty impressed, and I didn't even listen to anything except the silence they made - $500? not sure - the only thing that seemed to cut through the silence was my kids screaming.

Shure also have a range of inears. There are a few other brands too - check out headphones.com.au for some ideas. You can also go to the extreme of getting custom ears molds made - these are the sort of things that pros are using for on stage in ears.

Lots of options - most of which will be better than your current activities...

Cheers
Michael Luchich
Alternation.com.au
Walcha NSW
lonearranger

Postby astrovic » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:17 pm

Fantastic mate - some great info there to go on with!
Chris L
astrovic
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby headman » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:33 pm

I have a set of TL audio Fatphones, they come in a little roadcase with mono and stereo earbuds, earplugs and 8 different fittings for your ears. I got them about three years ago and they work a treat (still).
Don't know who imports them, or if in fact they are still available, but they are worth a look.

headman
headman

Postby chribble » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:11 pm

I use yuin PK3 and theyre cheap and pretty good. a little light on the bass though
Chr is Bradstre et
chribble
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Kurt » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:15 am

I have a set of cheapish Sennheiser buds, lots of bass ;)
Kurt Neist
Chief cook and bottle washer - Metalworx
Kurt
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby musikwerks » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:52 pm

Ultimate Ears is rep'd by Forefront Productions in Brisbane (as far as I know) Try calling them for support.

I have Ear Monitors Australia custom IEM's and ear plugs. They're very good.
Kristian Anderson
musikwerks
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby prequalizer » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:59 pm

I went for the Shure in ear earphones. Even though the model I got, the frequency range is not as wide, I really like how durable it is and how it wraps around the ear to make it secure and prevent snagging the cable off the bud. I have gone thur several earphone and I always had issues with snaggin the cable. If I could afford the better model of these, I would go for it. It is very durable!

These also seal your ear to prevent hearing outside noise.
Old school of thought...
prequalizer

Postby Adam Dempsey » Sun May 02, 2010 9:16 pm

lonearranger wrote:I tried a set of the bose noise cancelling headphones in the apple store the other day, was pretty impressed,

You were allowed to try them? I'm not even "allowed" to try a pair of Grados at their only distributor in town (if not the entire country). "Health regs" he tells me. Strange... JB HiFi and so many others seem to be avoiding such things.
Adam Dempsey

Postby Gian » Mon May 03, 2010 4:30 pm

prequalizer wrote:I went for the Shure in ear earphones. Even though the model I got, the frequency range is not as wide, I really like how durable it is and how it wraps around the ear to make it secure and prevent snagging the cable off the bud. I have gone thur several earphone and I always had issues with snaggin the cable. If I could afford the better model of these, I would go for it. It is very durable!

These also seal your ear to prevent hearing outside noise.

Ditto
Gian Parodi
It's the first watt that counts
Gian
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby rick » Mon May 03, 2010 5:49 pm

Adam Dempsey wrote:
lonearranger wrote:I tried a set of the bose noise cancelling headphones in the apple store the other day, was pretty impressed,

You were allowed to try them? I'm not even "allowed" to try a pair of Grados at their only distributor in town (if not the entire country). "Health regs" he tells me. Strange... JB HiFi and so many others seem to be avoiding such things.

HA.. i thought i was the only one !
the grado dealer in melbourne thought i was on drugs when i asked to demo the top of the line model !

he said something like we dont even have a set in the country and even if we did we wouldnt "lend " them to you to try
he had never heard of that sort of thing before ..!

"ok" i said "that makes it easy then- i am buying the top of the line sennheisers this afternoon then thanks for you time ...."
Rick O'Neil
I think we went to different schools together
turtlerockmastering.com
we listen
rick

Postby toddd » Tue May 04, 2010 12:00 am

so, rick and adam, are the retailers of these particular headphones expected to sell them on rep alone if no-one is actually allowed to hear a pair of them? or maybe both of your ears looked dirty?
Todd Dixon
tmdixon [at] gmail [dot] com
toddd

Postby Chris H » Tue May 04, 2010 12:08 am

toddd wrote:so, rick and adam, are the retailers of these particular headphones expected to sell them on rep alone if no-one is actually allowed to hear a pair of them? or maybe both of your ears looked dirty?

No..........it's their hair or should i say lack of it that the sales person thought might be contagious. Rick is more advanced in this regard than Adam but given a few more years....... is this what being a mastering engineer does to the male of the species ...... i mean is Emily Lazar going bald????
Chris Hallam.
https://soundcloud.com/hallamsound
Whatever floats your boat.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby rick » Tue May 04, 2010 7:39 am

err have you ever seen a real photo of her..?

i rest my bald case
Rick O'Neil
turtlerockmastering.com
we listen
rick

Postby Chris H » Tue May 04, 2010 9:43 am

rick wrote:err have you ever seen a real photo of her..?

i rest my bald case

what constitutes a "real" photo? ......All the pics i see on the web show she has plenty of hair...does she wear a wig? .......so Rick...post your pick, that's the only evidence i will accept :)

Chris Hallam.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby rick » Tue May 04, 2010 12:36 pm

oh come on i know shes a beauty , and has other beautys working for her !

between mark basset michael carpenter and me you have enough shine to light up the world !

i was hoping you had only seen the avalon photo of emily damn !

ok ok i fold its a fact mastering makes men bald
err but what about robin gist , he has the finest set of hair that any mastering engineer over 40 ever had :)
Last edited by rick on Tue May 04, 2010 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick O'Neil
turtlerockmastering.com
we listen
rick

Postby Chris H » Tue May 04, 2010 1:04 pm

Robin must spend enough time at a regular mixing console, ....... judging by his t'rock pic, to save him from the inevitable "mastering hair loss syndrome" known as MHLS to those in the know.
Chris Hallam.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby rick » Tue May 04, 2010 2:48 pm

yeah i set my self up for that :(
Rick O'Neil
turtlerockmastering.com
we listen
rick

Postby astrovic » Tue May 04, 2010 5:28 pm

Should I change the thread title to "Suggestions for a cure to male pattern balding in mastering engineers"?

Nah, thanks for all the info and insight, guys. And I'm chuffed to think that my humble thread was moved from Noobville to the main board. Currently I'm trying to explain to myself why I need not only a good set of headphones, but a Mbox Micro. Oh, and a decent ProTools rig. And and and.....
Chris L
astrovic
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Return to The Turtlerock Forum