Great channel EQ's?

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Great channel EQ's?

Postby Andrew » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:37 am

Ok this is probably one of those lame questions and maybe I should say first that I'm not big on EQ and generally leave it flat only making fine adjustments if necessary...so here goes.....Its generally said that the EQ on the Neve preamps are good at any setting and very difficult to sound bad. That may not be entirely true and probably has a lot to do with good circuitry design and that you cannot do 18db cuts on it....so here's the question :? can anyone recommend any other channel strip type eq's that are on this kinda level?
Andrew

Postby chris p » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:54 am

Its a valid question, Andy - I'm looking at EQ at the moment as well, especially in terms of its musicality (for technical accuracy, the ones inbuilt into Logic are fine, but they don't add to the vibe at all).

It you like the Neve sound, why not go for it? Something like the Great River EQ-2NV?

For comprehensiveness, I like the look of the Empirical Labs L'il Freq, which follow in the footsteps of the legendary Distressor.

For bang for the buck "good things come in small packages, check out the FeQ-50 from Summit Audio. Tube and Trannie outs.

For the "money is no object, I just want to impress the clients with a big honkin' EQ" case, Manley's Massive Passive or Pultec copycat designs would be the go.

And finally, for the true purist, ask Rick how much it would cost for him to part with his consecutive (or is it one off) serial number real Pultecs (;-)

There's any number of other options - Buzz Audio from NZ, JLM's PEQ1 (which looks very tasty) come to mind.

Like all such stuff, different bits add different sounds, so its a question of knowing what you want to achieve and then auditioning it all until you find the one that does it for you.
chris p
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby rick » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:55 pm

go to robs tech page and have a look at the star wars quad eight eqs( i bought the whole board once and parted it out )
quad eight 3 band eqs ( 312 or similar )
have the best "vocal" eq i had ever used,
they are still pretty cheap and way better then neve in this regard
how ever the bottom end is a bit to wide so neves are still king for the low stuff.
rick

Postby Aearth » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:01 pm

Chandler LTD-1

Nick
Aearth
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby rick » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:33 pm

oh yeah two of my pultecs are actually consectutive serial numbers !
and matched within a 1/4 of a db of gain !

btw
there is a stolen pultec floating around, be very cautious of buying a pultec eqp1a from a "long haired or a bald tech type " in sydney !

( f@#$ it who cares if they sue me - i am talking about the hornibrook audio pricks do not deal with these guys they are criminals !)

the pultec belongs to glen phimister and i am sure he would love to get it back
no place for thievery in this business , nor buying stolen goods !
rick

Postby chris p » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:25 pm

Just to underline Rick's post, you buy stolen goods, 9 times out of 10 the original owner can get them back off you - too bad that the thief took your money, you've still got to hand the thing back and you miss out. Contracts 101, the thief didn't own the goods and so (legally) cannot sell them to you.

Its a tough gig when you actually bought something in good faith, but someone misses out in that deal, and its the buyer that carries the loss. Bear it in mind.
chris p
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to The Turtlerock Forum