Monitor Orientation

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Monitor Orientation

Postby smash » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:50 pm

Can anyone summarise for me the difference in sound, between having monitors horizontally as opposed as vertically situated?

The particualr monitors in question are midsized nearfields, sitting on speaker isolators, which are sitting in turn on concrete blocks. There is acoustic foam on the walls immediately behind and to the sides of the monitors, so the only sound you hear in the mix posisition is the direct sound of the speakers, as well as the diffuse sound off the back wall.

The speakers are two way units, I'm wondering if the optimal orrientation is that the drivers are vertically alligned, or horizontal. The main goal now is to minimise any phasing issues from reflection of my desk.

Questions/Comments anyone?
smash
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Kurt » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:14 pm

My take would be that if you can't hear a difference then for the purposes of mixing there is no difference!
Kurt
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Ausrock » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:18 pm

You may find this interesting......http://www.tannoy.com/media/Reveal_5A_Active_lo.pdf .........start reading at page 4.

Obviously, this is just Tannoy's take on the subject.
Ausrock
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Kurt » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Interesting read.

Ausrock wrote:You may find this interesting......http://www.tannoy.com/media/Reveal_5A_Active_lo.pdf .........start reading at page 4.

Obviously, this is just Tannoy's take on the subject.
Kurt
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to The Turtlerock Forum