An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

SPL Question

Postby Alan » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:13 pm

Hi there!
Alan

Postby Trent » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:18 pm

"Surely they can convert DVDs at their end? "

summed it up right there... dont make them work, thats rule number 1!!!
Trent

Postby Howard Jones » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:30 pm

[1] Ingest is from SP Beta, not DVD

[2] Beta SP is a broadcast format, DVD is not

[3] Playback may be from server (back to point 1) or Library Management System (SP Beta)
Howard Jones
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby chris p » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:19 pm

... and to answer your question, yes, SPL matters whether or not the mic is switched on or off. The SPL is what makes the mic's ribbon, diaphram or coil (take your pick) move to create an electrical signal, and this movement happens, whether or not that signal goes anywhere, whenever the mic is exposed to sound waves.

The max SPL rating for a mic is based on how much travel and damping there is in the mic. At max rated SPL, the mic element (whichever type is it) has moved as far as the manufacturers want it to go. Take it further, and yes, you risk damaging the mic (just like playing back too loud through a speaker will shred it). So you may want to get the mic covered to attenuate the SPL enough for it to survive.

That said, I do not doubt your ability to play loud, but are you really getting to the SPL that could damage your mike? That's a reasonable feat, unamplified. Do you have the serious ear protection that goes with SPL that high?
chris p
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Alan » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:07 pm

Chris,

As I said in my post I was worrying about the small ONBOARD stereo mike being damaged, even when disengaged. Yes, I definately think the SPL will send it into distortion and there is no pad, or means of inserting a pad. I have experimented with covering, but it's still getting in there. At least I know now the SPL still has affect, even when the mic is off. So new plan!
Alan

Postby chris p » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:28 am

Hi again Alan

I for one didn't think you were dissing Rage - but then, I saw nothing in the replies from Howard or Trent that suggested you were. In fact, I read them both as separate but helpful insights that answered you query.

Re the onboard mic, remember that the goal is not to try and get silence, but simply to reduce the SPL to the point where it won't damage the mic. A double or triple foam windshield may be enough to do the trick, or if its one of those small hole type electret things, simply sticking a piece or two of tape over the hole is often enough.
chris p
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to The Turtlerock Forum