It looks like Boss won!

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

It looks like Boss won!

Postby Greg » Tue May 24, 2005 1:03 pm

OK, I confess, I did flip through the be!@#$%^& catalogue, that came with the latest AT......

The thing I found interesting, is that they've changed the cases, for their guitar pedals. I take it that Boss must have succeeded, in their efforts to stop them using the Boss copy cases. Good to see another victory against the evil B.
Greg

Postby chris p » Wed May 25, 2005 9:55 am

OK, if we are getting all confessional, I too looked through the Deadringer catalogue. Actually, I have a fondness for B's gear provided it is not in the record signal path - they make good headphone distribution amps, for example. I also like the 1U rack light with 8 power outlets - I can sacrifice 1U to get rid of my powerboard.

However, while the "featured" stomp pedals were not BOSS clones, I noticed that the "range" pic was deliberately very small and undetailed. I suspect the saga is not completely over. Watch this space ....[/b]
chris p
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Andy Walters » Wed May 25, 2005 6:07 pm

You could always go for a new concept called the "Fullysicamizer" Designed mainly for guitarists, it features one knob with stepped increments from suk to sic. One input and that's it...
It allows guitarists to plug in and imagine how good they are, that computers "magically" fix everything, and that if they keep striking the same chord for long enough someone will roll up to their door with a million dollars and give them a record, with no recoupe.......
hmmm......
Andy Walters

Postby JulienG » Thu May 26, 2005 4:42 am

Good headphone amps?
We had one at my last studio (from before they moved to China even!) and every few months some idiot would blow a channel by plugging in a guitar. Was nice and powerful though. Then there was the graphic EQ which was bad out of the box.

The thing which gets me about be!@#$%^& is that there seem to be a few areas where they re-release the entire line every year, we discussed a few on the last forum, they must just keep getting sued over and over.
JulienG
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Greg » Thu May 26, 2005 12:32 pm

Interestingly, I understand that the early Chinese stuff was actually more reliable than the German made stuff. I know of a studio that had a couple of German Composers, that died after a few years, whereas their Chinese ones are still going strong. I have a pair of the original Chinese Composers, which sound great. Of course, I now know that even their design was stolen I wouldn't buy anything by them again, but I understand the temptation for a lot of people. I don't understand why they keep releasing new versions of their products, with more features and less sound quality. I bought a Composer Pro, when they first came out and before I knew about their R&D policy. It was nowhere near as good as the Composers in construction or sound, but hey it was a lot cheaper.
Greg

Return to The Turtlerock Forum