Don't tell me..................

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Don't tell me..................

Postby Ausrock » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:11 pm

We seem to have lost the "so what is your fav bit of gear?" thread...........did it get that far off topic that it was removed?
Ausrock
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby rick » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:26 pm

i was trying to edit a double posting that i did and nuked the whole thread
whoops
Last edited by rick on Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
rick

Postby Ausrock » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:50 pm

LMAO................The last posts I saw were refering to Lie-Neilsen planes and I was at a loss to imagine how the thread could deteriorate from there.

Carry on....................:-)
Ausrock
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby mfdu » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:00 pm

personally, it's a relief to see it go - i never intended to cause a fuss when i started that thread, and it's been glaring at me like an outraged suburban mum ever since.

no offense meant to residents of suburban areas, of course.

ausrock - how did the fishing go? i chilled out with a week in fiji with the wife, and then sat down and built two 1176 clones over the queens birfday weekend. now thats what i call relaxing!

chris.
mfdu
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Ausrock » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:26 pm

To go fishing as a stress relief was advice from Rick that although I couldn't argue with, was not and is not likely to happen in the foreseeable future..........unbloodyfortunately. I'm too busy setting up my woodlathe and other workshop stuff for music oriented things..............hopefully by next summer I will have time for fishing.
Ausrock
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby philly » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:02 pm

What sort of lathe have you got. Im a Nova boy meself.

(ive hijacked it again haven't I?)
philly

Postby Ausrock » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:10 pm

Philly,

I just picked up a Nova 3000 off Ebay last week, had to drive from N'cle to Canberra to pick it up but it was worth it. :-)
Ausrock
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby philly » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:22 pm

Nice one. Second hand units are few and far between. Ive got the DVR. Is yours upgradeable to variable speed? I learnt on the 3000 and once you've used a variable there's no going back.

We should go here:
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/

and start a thread about multiband compression.

:-)
philly

Postby rick » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:48 pm

philly
before i blew that last thread up i was going to tell you its was
very clever stuff with the buffalo horn
your on an desert island with that kind of knowledge,
mine is ebony infill with an ivory ring but its the collectable one with the right hallmarks
i use it with a countersink for every screw i use after dark
because aside from being incredibily fun to accurate to use
it is very very quiet !

its in my collection for the same reason i like neves and pultecs, when you use something that was made by a designer at the peak of his career and made for a specific purpose without consideration for marketing cost , you realise what the world could be like.

everything less always feels like i am not doing my best
given a choice who wants to feel like that.
and we all have a choice about little things like that

but i digress
you guys are smock wearing wood turners ...?
geez i thought i was ready for a checkup.
rick

Postby Ausrock » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:14 pm

Philly,

I'm hanging around http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/ at least a couple of times a day/night, haven't become too involved there yet but give it time. I wonder what the reaction would be if we asked about turning up some Jarrah valve sockets :-)) or Ebony knobs for a 1176.

At the time I set my sights on the 3000, the DVR's specs didn't show a low enough rpm for my liking (that has now changed) whereas I knew the 3000 was capable of running at close to 0 rpm with a speed control fitted, admittedly you lose torque at low rpm but for me it isn't a major issue partly because this particular lathe has a 1.5hp mtr rather than the usual 1.0hp. Also I picked my 3000 up for $715, a DVR would have set me back close to $3000.

Now, will you or Rick enlighten me as to what you two are talking about.
Ausrock
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby wez » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:51 am

my dad is a fantastic woodturner, seriously into it - he's got all the stuff but i know less about lathes than i do fishing rods, so i don't know what he uses. but it had to happen sooner or later - this arvo he lopped two fingers off and was airlifted down tonight for microsurgery. stuck 'em back on, looking good so far, but won't know how succesful it was for a day or two.

it's just that he would be so into talking about lathes with you guys. it's been a long day but i can see the funny side of it, as i'm sure he would.

anyway, wouldn't have mentioned it, but i wouldn't otherwise have anything to add to this thread. carry on...
wez
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Chris H » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:32 am

Used to build guitars at Maton and have restored two fine wooden boats myself but no wood turning involved.
So have we uncovered a personality profile linking audio addics with woodwork or something?
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby philly » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:06 am

Rick...
I really couldnt have put it better. My dad in England has his old brace and bits waiting for me to pick up. They really are a joy to use. I cant believe how much more accurate they are compared to modern drills. He's an old school chippy. Not like these wankers with a cordless and a tube of "I Can't Believe It's Not Nails"!
Have you read Classic Hand Tools by Garret Hack?
Much as a lot of these tools are beautiful I still reckon they were made to be used. There are still people making beautiful tools today. Your Lie-Nielsens, Colen Clenton, Terry Gordon....have you noticed how used Lie Nielsens sell on ebay for about $20 less than new ones? Are you into wooden moulding planes? Oh yeah...don't knock the smock!...No...really....leave the smock.

:-)

Ausrock.....do try and keep up dear! :-)
My DVR developed an electronic fault and I was without it for about 3 months so you probly did the right thing. If you need any spares or chucks etc. I can recommend Adrian at Trend Timbers. Lovely people. Small family company very passionate about what they do (Its just that what they do is sell us trees that belonged to us all in the first place, but I digress) Ive had no trouble getting low speeds out of mine. I always remember as a little kid , my grandad had a trainset that I used to play with when visiting. I used to try and get it to go really fast until he explained to me that the test of good engineering was not how fast it goes, it's how slow it goes without stopping.
He was SO full of shit!
Talking of turning knobs for gear....Is there any reason why wood is not used for mic bodies? Are there some sort of unpleasant resonance properties associated with timber? just a thought.

Wez...Sorry to hear about your dad. Turning is surprisingly safe as long as you keep your sleeves rolled up and dont hold your polishing cloths too tightly. I nearly lost 2 fingers about a year ago, not from turning but from sharpening the gouges on my bench grinder. The funny thing is, I knew about half a second before it happened that I was pushing too far. The secret is to know when you're "taking the piss", then back off a bit.

Chris...dunno, you may have a point about personalities. Ive been reading some books on electronics with a view to making gear and my wife caught me reading "Electronics for Dummies" or something (Is a dummy worse than an Idiot?...Or do you start as an idiot and work your way up to dummy?) and she said something like "Oh great ...Electronics!...we've done music, brewing, woodturning and now youve found yourself another counter-culture on the dark fringes of society to belong to."
Maybe thats it!

Cheesr for now.

Phil
philly

Postby glynbo » Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:42 pm

I kind of like this thread... maybe there IS a link between woodwork and audio production.

I'm a carpenter/builder and carpentry lecturer at tafe and although we have a great stash of fine tools here, just like everything audio, it seems things just arent made the way they used to be.

I guess you could call black and decker the be!@#$%^& of the workbench.
In fact, come to think of it, most of my tafe students remind me of most of my studio clients.

In fact some are...lol ;)
glynbo

Postby philly » Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:49 pm

Nah...be!@#$%^& would be GMC!
philly

Postby scott » Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:52 am

yet another carpenter, 4th generation, 3 brothers also chippies + various other subbies in the family.

I dont collect tools, just break 'em.

I have a u shaped hammer (concrete truck) that comes in handy though.
scott

Postby Peter Knight » Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:14 pm

XU1 is cheaper than GMC.
Peter Knight

Postby Ausrock » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:09 pm

My XU-1 wasn't..................'71 LC Torana GTR XU-1.

One of the silly decisions I've made in life, trading it in on a HQ V8 back in late '74.
Ausrock
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby rick » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:33 pm

ausrock i will give you points for being clever , just for the gmc bit
even if nobody gets it..
i am sure you sold the xui because you could not fit the kids in right?
not because it was a holden
rick

Postby mark rachelle » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:28 pm

oh oh

i just bought a gmc drill

the be!@#$%^& of the tool trade

i'm no chippy but i'm framing my new studio wall today

i reckon building is the next best thing to music

u stand back at the end of the day and you look at the work you've achieved, very much the same feeling for me as making a record i'm proud of.

u also get the same slime of humanity too
dead shit musos and dead shit tradies!
both come from the same mould
mark rachelle

Postby Kurt » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:45 am

Looking at the chipboard monstrosity masquerading as a shelf behind me I hope my audio skills are alot better than my woodworking ones!
Kurt
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Peter Knight » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:38 am

[quote="mark rachelle"]
i reckon building is the next best thing to music
[/quote]

Mate you are off your head! If I'm never on another building job again in my life it will be too soon.

Although there seem to be less know-alls in the building game, I must admit.
Peter Knight

Postby Chinagraf » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:11 pm

I'm with mark, I built my new mix room with the tradeys, an man firing nail guns makes you feel powerful, like a good kick drum you pulled. I've never been that handy with big tools, always worried I'd take a finger off, but now just try keeping me away from them.
I think a lot of musos/engineers like building cause at the end you have this big mother thing you can look at and show to people as opposed to a cd at the end of the process. I have also developed a great respect for plasterers and will buy one a beer whenever I meet one.
I see Tim the toolman in a whole new light.
oo oo ug ug,
Andy
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Peter Knight » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:39 pm

Plasterers? As in Gyprock type plasterers?
Peter Knight

Postby wez » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:00 pm

ok, i have a new fave bit of gear then... today we took delivery of a very vintage AKG BX20E spring reverb (or 'the drinks cabinet' as i like to call it). and what can i say... i've never liked spring reverbs - why? because i've never heard one of these before, that's why! i am totally blown away by how smooth, rich, warm and tasty this thing sounds. i lerve it, it is so cool, and my new favourite toy.

that is until wednesday of course. only 5 more sleeps until 1.9 tonnes of calrec arrives at our front door.... tee hee.
wez
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Chinagraf » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:28 pm

Yes, wall and ceiling type plasterers. If there's any job I'd gladly pay someone to do next time it's the plastering. I was farting that white dust for weeks afterwards.
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Peter Knight » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:41 pm

Oh, yeah, I always forget about the sanding. If you get a proper sanding machine it'll suck most of the dust up though. And save your arms.
Peter Knight

Return to The Turtlerock Forum