Client poaching

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Client poaching

Postby Manning » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:12 pm

Had an intriguing chat with a client of ours yesterday (local Sydney band).

This band is recording their second album at our place and it is all going well, as far as I can tell.

However another Sydney studio* has been calling/texting them regularly saying that anything recorded at our place will "never be more than a demo" and they should move to their studio.

Now if any client is unhappy with results and decides to move elsewhere, that's the client's right, obviously.

But this kind of aggressive poaching from another studio seems a bit unethical to me. What do you guys think?

*This studio is not one run by regular T-rockers, and is certainly not 301, in case anyone thought that.
Manning Bartlett, Studio Laughing Duck, Glenorie NSW
http://www.studiolaughingduck.com
Manning
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Client poaching

Postby Sammas » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:01 pm

Its definitely unethical. But more to the point, I actually think it does nothing but alienate the studio sending the messages. It is like the Berlin Wall. An admission of defeat. With all things being equal, they can't compete... so resort to slagging off their competitors in an attempt to gain clients.

With that in mind, I would probably just ignore it. Or out them in public, because we all want to know who it is ;)
Sammas

Postby dave01.cooper » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:35 am

I'm with Nath, bring it out in the open that way I'm sure someone will of heard or worked with said person & tell them politely to pipe down. Also sounds like they're in a bind and have nothing else up their sleeve to get clients but slag off other studios, I've seen this happen a fair bit of some certain Facebook groups/Melband forum.

Keep doing what you're doing Manning, I'm sure they're having a ball recording.
Dave Cooper

E - dave @ soundmachinestudios . com . au
W - soundmachinestudios.com.au
dave01.cooper
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby stosostu » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:01 pm

This kind of thing happens in the live music scene. I've had bookings cancelled because another band offered to do the gig for half price. Not much you can do except rely on your reputation to bring in clients who want quality over price.
Bob Charman - Stockport Sound, SA
The Road Goes On Forever and the Party Never Ends..........
stosostu
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Manning » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:57 pm

I won't "name and shame" unless Rick gives me the OK.

"Also sounds like they're in a bind and have nothing else up their sleeve to get clients but slag off other studios, "

Yeah, that is pretty definitely what is going on.
Manning
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby The Tasmanian » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:08 pm

Hey Manning - this underhanded work thieving gives me the shits, and yep, it means they don't have enough work on.
I've had this happen quite a few times.
Ive heard other producers bagging each other out to steal clients too.

If the artists like your work - then bring the point back to trusting that you are the right man for the job.
They would have heard your work - and it can be pointed out that your work stands as quality.
I would rather work in a smaller studio with less gear - with experienced talent behind the controls , than a big studio with an average engineer (even if it was free).

Really - most studios these days are "glorified demo studios" (compared to the real thing) - but a decent amount of them have great talent and experience in control, with select great gear to realize the quality needed.
I may be able to guess who the studio is... I have 2 in mind.
Its all about the talent.

Dog eat Dog!
C h r i z t o w n o
The Tasmanian
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby rick » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:07 am

oh look , I run this forum as a refuge where the good guys can hang out and help each other out , I cannot really explain it much past that , I wrote an article about the music business once , I cant remember what it was called or were it was printed but the byline was whats wrong with the music business is there are too many snakes and not enough ladders ! ..

and the thing is the snakes all slither away eventually because its not a lucritive enough game to reward them for very long .

but what I am becoming aware of as I make my rounds selling my pretty studio punchlights is just HOW many studios exist that I have never heard of in commerical premises , run buy seemingly great guys that also work day jobs outside the studio game .. these guys dont outsource anything so they are little islands all over the place

This is a real change in things , The hoards of new well equipt studio that are closed during business hours .. they just use to be described as demo studios but they where never as well equipt as I have seen lately ,
do demo studios even still exist in 2015 ? ..i dunno

so i figure if that studio you don't name is being a tosser to you manning ,
relax there are a zillion other studios out there all competing for the same sessions
so just stick to your plan .. you make your client happy .. they come back

they might stray of coarse it happens to us all for a while thats normal , be nice to them , understand its them trying something out not you doing something wrong

really this kind of poaching doesnt last and it ultimately just speaks to those that listen to it ..
if your clients are happy they wont listen .

now what I can not under stand is why you pro TRM gentleman havent bought a punchlight of me yet ? :)
Rick O'Neil
I think we went to different schools together
turtlerockmastering.com
we listen
rick

Postby Manning » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:16 am

Yeah the client (Love Child) are very happy, and the stuff sounds great. I'm not heavily involved in the recording as Marc is running everything.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, to borrow someone else's phrase.
Manning
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to The Turtlerock Forum