Respect; this is what it's all about.......

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett, gigpiglet

Respect; this is what it's all about.......

Postby Chris H » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:50 pm

On a regular basis I watch this live recording vid done at the basement by Sydney's Keith Walker.
Everything about it is an example of people achieving a very high standard in their craft. It starts with the musicians, their choice of equipment, the sounds they pull the song arrangement and how they play. For example, the guitarist is so in the zone while soloing, never once opening his eyes to look at the fretboard. The drummer's light touch is captured with all the nuance of his playing. The dynamics; taking it way down, then building up to end the solo........The live sound must have been done very well as it hasn't got in the road of the recording which really has a great sense of the room and space. And the video editing etc
Whatever the style of music being played, this is a great example of the level of quality we all should aspire to.
All respect to the players, sound crew and Keith's high standard of live recording and video production.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jhWeJP1 ... Tj3c-DsTQA
Chris Hallam.
https://soundcloud.com/hallamsound
Whatever floats your boat.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Respect; this is what it's all about.......

Postby rocklogic » Tue May 14, 2013 6:06 pm

I just saw this - my goodness. Even with all that youtube compression, this is amazing.

Big D is one of my top all time favorite guitarist - and is very underrated. How this guy does not get the recognition that he gets is outright shameful.

Awesome recording!!!
Mulyadi Robin
guitarist with too much gear.
i was a sound engineer, did some session work, and now all that is sadly just a hobby
rocklogic

Postby jkhuri44 » Tue May 14, 2013 6:25 pm

haha, i had no idea what it was you posted before I clicked, but when i saw Keith's name, i pretty much new it had to be John Cleary and the Monster Gentlemen.

I think i made a post the night after that gig many years ago on this forum about how amazing it was, it was one of the best live gigs i've ever seen....and that was me saying that watching this on a screen. I was interning at Keiths' studio that day. Top bloke, and seriously top notch crew. Lots of people involved who seriously know their shit.

@ Chris, pretty sure what you're listening to is New Orleans Blues/Jazz. Very unique, soulful and all round awesome.
Jamil Khuri
Amusement & Audio Engineer
"it's not awesome unless its 240bpm with distorted 909 kicks!"
jkhuri44
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby Manning » Tue May 14, 2013 6:39 pm

Man, I thought I was the only person who'd ever heard of Big D, I'm truly delighted to have company.

He's freakishly good. Great video as well.
Manning Bartlett, Studio Laughing Duck, Glenorie NSW
http://www.studiolaughingduck.com
Manning
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to Live Sound Forum