aircon info request

Are you building something? Share your resources with the locals - for more in depth D.I.Y. head to The Lab

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

aircon info request

Postby mylesgm » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:58 pm

Going to be installing an air exchange system into my studio build shortly. The main question is what fan to use for the exhaust system. Will be building silencers for inlet and exhaust to suit of course but was thinking a 150mm centrifugal fan to pull the air out of the room mounted on the outside of the exhaust silencer.

Would this suit?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271841265336 ... 1436.l2649
Myles Mumford
Producer/Composer/Engineer/Sound Artist
Making records in sunny Melbourne

www.mylesmumford.com
mylesgm
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: aircon info request

Postby Kurt » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:22 am

That fan doesn't tell you how much air it can move but from memory centrifugal fans are noisier than normal fans, though they can deliver more pressure. A few minutes "research" on the interwebs leads me to believe that a human exerting moderate effort needs around 10 cubic feet per minute (in a closed system) so a very low volume, low speed, low noise fan should do the job admirably!

My pre-coffee head maths works that out to @ 20 cubic metres per hour, per person.
Kurt Neist
Chief cook and bottle washer - Metalworx
Kurt
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Chinagraf » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:16 pm

Yeah squirrel fans are noisier than axials. You can get 150mm in line axials like this one -
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150mm-6-HYDR ... SwHjNV7sDb

I had one at my old place for feeding air from the control room to the booth, savde on having two aircon head units.
Mine had a dual blade inside though. Also found it worked better to push air into the room with a passive out vent rather than pulling air in.
Also once you work out the volume you need you can get a higher specced fan and run it at a lower speed with a fan controller to cut down on noise further if you need to.
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby mylesgm » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:58 am

Thanks chaps!
Myles Mumford
Producer/Composer/Engineer/Sound Artist
Making records in sunny Melbourne

www.mylesmumford.com
mylesgm
Valued Contributor