ADA 4898-2 buy?

Are you building something? Share your resources with the locals - for more in depth D.I.Y. head to The Lab

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

ADA 4898-2 buy?

Postby Wiz » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:53 am

I am modding my Delta, and I will be using a lot of these... I am buying them in conjunction with a fella in the states.. we are looking at getting about 500 between us , majority him... but we are seeing about organising a group buy between some other people in the States... and I was wondering if any of you guys here wanted quantity of these?

cheers

Wiz

not looking to forward 2 or 3 here.. thinking lots of 50?
Peter Knight

Cant ego loquemur Latine

http://www.peterknightmusician.com
Wiz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: ADA 4898-2 buy?

Postby zenelectro » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:00 pm

Wiz wrote:I am modding my Delta, and I will be using a lot of these... I am buying them in conjunction with a fella in the states.. we are looking at getting about 500 between us , majority him... but we are seeing about organising a group buy between some other people in the States... and I was wondering if any of you guys here wanted quantity of these?

cheers

Wiz

- What price are we looking at for say 50 off?
- Have you considered getting any 4898-1's to replace singles (5534)?

WRT ADA4898-2 replacing 5532's :

- These are a pretty specific OPA for low noise / low impedance front ends, they will generate a fair bit of noise
with higher impedance circuits greater than 10k For example with 1 x 10k resistor feeding the OPA you will get 24nV/rt Hz That's not huge but worth considering.
- They will draw double current what the 5532 does so if using a lot in a console it will add up. You can get away
with quite a few but if you re chip everything be careful.

Cheers,
Terry Demol
T & L Technical P/L
Audio Design & Service
zenelectro

Postby Wiz » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:39 am

zenelectro wrote:
Wiz wrote:I am modding my Delta, and I will be using a lot of these... I am buying them in conjunction with a fella in the states.. we are looking at getting about 500 between us , majority him... but we are seeing about organising a group buy between some other people in the States... and I was wondering if any of you guys here wanted quantity of these?

cheers

Wiz

- These are a pretty specific OPA for low noise / low impedance front ends, they will generate a fair bit of noise
with higher impedance circuits greater than 10k For example with 1 x 10k resistor feeding the OPA you will get 24nV/rt Hz That's not huge but worth considering.
- They will draw double current what the 5532 does so if using a lot in a console it will add up. You can get away

Cheers,

The price goes down from about 7 -8 bucks USD to 3.21 USD depends on how many we can get... so far we are at about 700 so I would think we will hit the 1000 mark...

Re current draw.

Yeah, I am already running 8 channels of these and this and other mods I have done to the console, have turned out great, it sounds amazing.

I have a way over spec'd power supply to cope.

We are a long way down the track with these mods... 8)

cheers

Wiz
Peter Knight

Cant ego loquemur Latine

http://www.peterknightmusician.com
Wiz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby zenelectro » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:36 am

Wiz wrote:
zenelectro wrote:

cheers

Wiz

Cheers,

The price goes down from about 7 -8 bucks USD to 3.21 USD depends on how many we can get... so far we are at about 700 so I would think we will hit the 1000 mark...

OK great, that's a decent price. I'm interested in definite 50, probably more, lets see if you get the projected 1k.

Re current draw.

Yeah, I am already running 8 channels of these and this and other mods I have done to the console, have turned out great, it sounds amazing.

Yes, It's pretty straight forward to get significant improvements in console SQ if you are methodical and know
what you are doing - or know someone who knows what they are doing. Most pro consoles from a SQ perspective
are a compromise and are designed within huge cost constraints with maximal functionality. It's a tough design task.

I've upgraded a few, from simple opamp upgrades to complete custom built, discrete zero feedback master summing sections. These days the OPA's are getting really good so we are a bit spoilt for choice.

I've got an MCI600 coming up soon.

I have a way over spec'd power supply to cope.

We are a long way down the track with these mods... 8)

cheers

Wiz

Just a word of caution from experience. There is plenty of advise out there and and various 'techs' in the field
lean different ways sonically so to speak.

It is very easy to get caught up and impressed with a result that is super clean, detailed and so called transparent but also loose some of the musical character that the console had. IME there's a balance between musicality and
'resolution' or whatever you like to call it.

In the end the console is a musical tool - if you are making better music and enjoying it more, the mods are a success. It's easy to loose that perspective when you switch the right brain off and go into tech / modding mode!

Good luck Wiz.
Terry Demol
T & L Technical P/L
Audio Design & Service
zenelectro

Postby Wiz » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:26 pm

Hey Terry

all good advice for sure....

I will let you know how we end up with orders

cheers

Wiz