Neumann into be!@#$%^&?

Are you building something? Share your resources with the locals - for more in depth D.I.Y. head to The Lab

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Neumann into be!@#$%^&?

Postby astrovic » Wed May 23, 2007 1:39 pm

So, anyway, I was like in court in the Federal Court this morning, and I noticed the mics used to capture what the barristers say at the bar table. Neumann - niiiiiice.

And the, like, I turned around and noticed the mixing desk into which said Neumann mics were plugged - be!@#$%^&. I was, like, "dude, WTF?"*

I know that recording voices for Court transcripts doesn't need to be exactly high fidelity, but Neumann into be!@#$%^&? Just a little on the bizarro side to me.

Thought you guys would see the funny side in it.

*Of course, being in a legal place at the time, I said it in latin.

EDIT - damn, wrong forum, should have been in the general one. Rick & co, can you move this at your convenience?
astrovic
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Chris H » Wed May 23, 2007 2:46 pm

Why dont you approach the court tech services and offer to upgrade their crappy old worn out mics with nice new be!@#$%^& ones to match the console......??!!
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby toddd » Wed May 23, 2007 3:11 pm

did you get a sight on what model mics they were astro?
toddd

Postby astrovic » Wed May 23, 2007 4:28 pm

hehe great idea Chris H!!!

I didn't actually look too closely at them, but comparing against the mics in Neumann's catalogue, they looked like the SRM64 or SRM84 - "long neck" microphone for rostrum type applications, with a "bendy straw" bit in it (bad description, I know, but rostrum type mics don't exactly float my boat so I know nothing about them).

If it is SRM64, they're a discontinued product so I'm sure some shiny new Herringer's would a major improvement...:D
astrovic
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Chris H » Wed May 23, 2007 4:34 pm

My Neuman KM 85's came from some conference setup and have the goose neck optional fittings. Bet you it's them as they have a HPF built in, not electronic but in the capsule / diafram design, so a more pure electronic design. They are very sweet and smooth sounding.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby astrovic » Wed May 23, 2007 4:58 pm

They didn't look like a KM 85...didn't have that cylindrical SDC look about them. Unfortunately I was more interested in the utter rubbish some of the lawyers were spouting (with all the "lawyers on drugs stuff going around at the moment, you have to wonder sometimes), so my tech-head side was distracted, unfortunately.
astrovic
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby toddd » Wed May 23, 2007 5:37 pm

astrovic wrote:with all the "lawyers on drugs stuff going around at the moment, you have to wonder sometimes.

"at the moment" aaaahahahahahahahahaaha, you'd have to be on drugs to be a lawyer...

nb. sorry for making a lawyer joke.

disclaimer : the poster takes no responsibility for the views and opinions contained within said forum post.
toddd

Return to D.I.Y.