acoustic batts that don't shed

Are you building something? Share your resources with the locals - for more in depth D.I.Y. head to The Lab

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

acoustic batts that don't shed

Postby rob » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:26 pm

No, I don't need acoustic batts for my shed ... well maybe I do. But I do want to find some readily available batts that I can lay on the topside of some timber panels or clouds that are going to be hung in the 'bro's new restaurant ceiling space. I don't have any control over the side facing down ... sigh .... but I figure soaking up stuff that might bounce around in the quite high concrete super ceiling space would be worthwhile. But I don't want fibreglass raining down into diner's meals and I don't really want to encase them.
Ideas?
I need the solution in Cairns ...
rob
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Re: acoustic batts that don't shed

Postby Sammas » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:44 pm

Polymax HD. It is cross-woven polyester like tontine acoustisorb apparently used to be. I spent a few nights sleeping on a 100mm one when I moved house(!). Not a fiber to spare. And it was pretty damn comfortable too!

I would be surprised if it couldn't be sourced from somewhere in Cairns.
Sammas

Postby SteveL » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:10 pm

I'm using Fletchers FI48 panels at the moment (48kg/m3 density). Although it is a fibreglass panel, it is bonded with a resin and there is absolutely no shed whatsoever. I have used tontine and rock wool as well, and I must say the Fletchers is the easiest to cut/fit and probably the cheapest too. I believe it is a 703 equivalent. Nice to work with and definitely changed my view on working with fibreglass panels. They're going into all my ceiling clouds.
Steve Lindsay
SteveL
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Ben M » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:11 am

Hey Rob,

Try Autex.
http://www.autex.com.au/acoustics/quietspace-panel/

They also cover in a range of colours so you can custom to your install.

A mate of mine put it in his restaurant and it did wonders to quash reverberant noise.

Cheers
Ben M
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to D.I.Y.