where do you get cases?

Are you building something? Share your resources with the locals - for more in depth D.I.Y. head to The Lab

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

where do you get cases?

Postby Damien » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:26 pm

im trying to find rackmount cases for diy/small run units.

its the case to make mic pres/ comps im after, not rack cases to hold rackmount units.

2/3/4 ru.

and pro etching/screen printing.

can anyone help?

we have a few projects on you'll all hear about soon.

cheers,

damien
Last edited by Damien on Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damien
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: where do you get cases?

Postby TimS » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:15 pm

Damien wrote:im trying to find rackmount cases for diy/small run units.

2/3/4 ru.

and pro etching/screen printing.

can anyone help?

we have a few projects on you'll all hear about soon.

cheers,

damien

Damien,
As you are in Melbourne, I'd highly recommend Chris Hine at http://www.caseman.com.au
I have purchased several custom made rack cases from him in the past - a 10 unit custom guitar rack (Racks menu page 3) and a 11 unit for PA/FOH rack (Racks menu page 9)
He does excellent work and is very reasonably priced.
Would highly recommend him.
Well worth giving him a call and discussing options.. very approachable guy..
He has examples of all his work on his website.
TimS..

Here is an image of my 10 unit guitar rig.

(Simon, you might recognise your PCM 80 there!!)

And one final one for th gear spotters ;-)
TimS
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Damien » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:35 am

ive edited my original post. its not flight cases, its the acyual 19" rach units im after.

i think you may need some more gtr stuff. isnt there some space left in one of those racks........ nice rack (..)
Damien
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby otto ruiter » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:17 pm

I've used these guys for custom panels before, they do a good job.

http://www.elgee.com.au/menu.html
otto ruiter

Postby harry » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:30 pm

Hi Damien,

don't know how you feel about globilization but there is a guy called purusha in slovenia that frequents the groupdiy forum.

he makes all kinds of cases for the projects there and can offer say a 1 ru case with holes punched front and back with proper painted front (can do colors)
for like 60 euro.

He does do custom cases if you provide the artwork - there needs to be a minimum of 5 cases.

I've got a run of cases i will do eventually (dual 1176 type comps using sifam meters) so maybe if it happens we could bundle our order and save on shipping..

anyway check out the black market section of groupdiy.com to check out his cases

p.s i've obtained quotes from local guys and got prices of $120+ for the case (nice case though) $25-50 for holes punched and $100+ for screen printing or $45+ for anodized aluminum (not as nice)

hope this helps....
harry
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby TimS » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:28 pm

Damien wrote:ive edited my original post. its not flight cases, its the acyual 19" rach units im after.

i think you may need some more gtr stuff. isnt there some space left in one of those racks........ nice rack (..)

No worries Damien - I just had a look - I see you meant 19" rack enclosures..
My mistake..
Cheers,
TimS..
TimS
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby astrovic » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:12 pm

harry wrote:p.s i've obtained quotes from local guys and got prices of $120+ for the case (nice case though) $25-50 for holes punched and $100+ for screen printing or $45+ for anodized aluminum (not as nice)

hope this helps....

ouch...I'll stick to buying my cases from Altronics, punching them myself and attempting to print onto them using the toner transfer method.
astrovic
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby jmedigital » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:06 pm

When I look up toner transfer method all I get is PCB's. How are you doing toner transfer method on metal work. Care to share? Thanks.

Stuart.
jmedigital

Postby astrovic » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:19 pm

Have a look at the post by Ssltech in this thread on the Lab:

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/viewto ... ight=super

I've been trying it recently - it's hit and miss (only had misses so far :x ) but it can work if you get it right - each attempt I get closer to getting it right
astrovic
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby jmedigital » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:55 am

Great, thanks.
jmedigital

Postby mfdu » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:08 am

i usually just get cases from jaycar or dick smiths (recently got three 3RU's for $40 each from DSE) - they'll become 2 LA2A's, and a pair of gssl 9k pre's with forssell opto comps (and eventually JLM eq's, to create channel strips)

then, i use the schaeffer software 'front panel designer' ( http://www.schaeffer-ag.de/index.php?la ... Itemid=241 - freeware) to lay out templates - there's a number of existing files available at http://www.nrgrecording.de/html/schaeff ... nformation

from there, it's all stepped drill bits, nibblers and my own effort to bring it all together.

mind you, i don't worry about lettering - it's all for my personal use, so i dig the 'black box special' look of 'em.

but re. lettering, another option (if you ain't got your own engraver) is just take the front panel and artwork to your friendly neighbourhood locksmith - they usually have engraving machines. . .

chris
mfdu
mfdu
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby jmedigital » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:22 pm

Thanks for the info Chris. I've have been using letraset rub on transfers mainly, and with patience I have got good results. I use to be able to get big sheets with small/fine white lettering but lately it's been getting harder to find them (I'm in Canberra if anyone happens to know where I can buy them). Do you have any pictures of the engraving stuff so I can see how it looks?

Stuart.
jmedigital

Postby mfdu » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:18 pm

nah, i'm afraid i don't have any engraving i can show ya - all my boxes are unlabelled, because i'm the only engineer who uses my studio . . .

but front panel designer is great for layout of front and rear panels. i thought that might help you out a little . . .

regards,

chris.
mfdu
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to D.I.Y.