AWA BAR2 Direct Outs

Are you building something? Share your resources with the locals - for more in depth D.I.Y. head to The Lab

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

AWA BAR2 Direct Outs

Postby Text_Edifice » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:37 pm

Hi everyone - bit of a long shot but could anyone give me some advice on how to add direct outs to an AWA BAR2?

I have a pile of 1:1 awa transformers that would balance the outputs but the output section looks like it is an additional gain stage so not sure this it will be as easy as just tapping the individual channel outputs.

Cheers
Dave Carter

http://www.twitter.com/davecarter
Text_Edifice
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: AWA BAR2 Direct Outs

Postby mylesgm » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:22 pm

Hey, great units!
Rob has modified mine and you need to tap the output of the individual channels, not exactly sure what Rob uses but I do know it's some sort of buffer and balancing circuit rather than simply hanging a 1:1 tx on it. Use the summing amp driving the main output transformer as it was intended. JLM has some useful modules you could explore too.
Myles Mumford
Producer/Composer/Engineer/Sound Artist
Making records in sunny Melbourne

www.mylesmumford.com
mylesgm
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: AWA BAR2 Direct Outs

Postby Text_Edifice » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:32 am

Thanks Myles - I'll have a play around with it. Everything inside the unit is super clearly laid out and labelled (including a lovely -12dB H Pad add in board that's sitting disconnected) so i can see where you'd tap each channel. Will have a look at some of Joe's bits and pieces for buffering / balancing.
Dave Carter

http://www.twitter.com/davecarter
Text_Edifice
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to D.I.Y.