Gyraf compressor parts.

Are you building something? Share your resources with the locals - for more in depth D.I.Y. head to The Lab

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Postby astrovic » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:17 pm

no need for a group buy on this:

get the PCB's from one of the guys at the Lab

get the VCA's from another guy on the Lab

get most of the parts from Mouser or Digikey, get anything else from Jaycar or Altronics. (or vice versa, depending on how crucial you think it is tio get to best Nichicon caps yada yada)

get any add-on boards off the Lab as well, and repeat with parts.

That said, a group buy wouldn't hurt - it would be especially handy if a big collective Mouser/Digikey order was made to spread out postage costs (and if enough people got involved, some quantity break costs come into play. But I'm prolly dreamin' here).

I think all up my GSSL cost me about $300. Defintely not more than $400. But no turbo boards here, just a sidechain filter board which doesn't add a lot in the grand scheme of things.

I ordered parts at the same time as ordering for a pair of G1176's, which spread my postage costs across two builds

...or you could pm MFDU and ask what he wants for his?
astrovic
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby no-fi » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:09 pm

I've just built one, minus getting it in the box...

Depending on where you buy the bits, and how far you want to go on quality, I reckon you could get it finished for around $200-300. though you could double that with the purusha case, and sifam meters, and not being careful on shipping costs, etc etc.

Almost all of it, you can buy from Jaycar.... and there's actually a BOM up online that even lists all the jaycar parts numbers you'll need.
no-fi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby AndyCroz » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:35 pm

well thats much more inspiring then. i was dreading a big fork out for the project but this is very do-able. cheers guys.

Andy
AndyCroz

Postby AndyCroz » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:37 pm

hey i just found this on ebay, is this the same type of meters we need for the gssl?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VU-DATA-VU600A-M ... 638Q2em122
AndyCroz

Postby Thirteen » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:07 am

AndyCroz wrote:hey i just found this on ebay, is this the same type of meters we need for the gssl?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VU-DATA-VU600A-M ... 638Q2em122

That looks like a really interesting unit... However the GSSL needs a volt meter, not a VU meter. You can use a cheap meter for the GSSL, I use Sifam meters because they have nice ballistics, and from measurements I have made they are also quite accurate in this application. It is fine to use a cheap edge type meter, it of course won't change the sound, but there is an edge meter on my Summit TLA-50 and it is sluggish and vague. i would suggest a regular meter over an edge type meter.
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Previous

Return to D.I.Y.