Custom Panel supplier?

Are you building something? Share your resources with the locals - for more in depth D.I.Y. head to The Lab

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Custom Panel supplier?

Postby Futureman » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:34 pm

Hey all.

This is my first post here, so be gentle.

I'm building a bit of custom gear etc, and need a 1 off panel made & silkscreened (or engraved)

Does anyone here know or recommend a good CNC place / manufacturer in Sydney (or Australia, or even the World if they are cost effective)

Basically, I'm building a Ucapps Midi Sequencer.. similar to this

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=5855.0

I want to build a desktop version, so only need the face plate made up.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Mike
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby mfdu » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:30 pm

barney has had some done. also astrovic. i tend to go down the commando path - use the schaeffer Front Panel Designer software and bash the metal gently with a large blunt drillbit.

the complexity of the panel you require is far beyond anything i would every attempt.PM astro or barney and see who they've used . . . .

chris
mfdu
mfdu
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby astrovic » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:25 pm

The midibox - niiiiice. Always wanted to do one myself, but can't see it happening for a fair ol' while.

I've only worked with rack boxes so far, haven't gone as far as to custom order any boxes or panels. So I can't be of much help.

Kev (www.diyfactory.com), a DIYer from way back and a fellow Melburnian, has said good things about Elgee http://www.elgee.com.au/menu.html - maybe check them out? I know they're in Melbourne, but it might be worth a look.

That's all I got, I'm afraid.

Oh, and Schaeffer can drill and label for you, but it is international and expensive.

A final though (they keep popping into my head) - hopefully Rick or Rob (www.proharmonic.com.au) will pop along and read this - they are liekly to have some thoughts. Guys?
astrovic
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby rob » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:42 pm

yep, elgee is the shot, they are usually busy, but if you can wait, do pretty good custom work

i'd be getting the panel machine din plain aluminium, then after the machining is completed, anodised black. This will mean all the edges will be black and no raw metal showing

the black anodising will then allow you to take to an engraver ( trophy places are the go ) and have it laser engraved.

This laser engraving can only be done on black anodising.

but you need some way to supply the machining diagram, elgee will cope with just a hand drawing with measurements, but the engravers will want the artwork in coreldraw or you'll pay them a bucketload of $ to design it for you. If you can do the artwork yourself in coreldraw the laser engraving is very cheap for a one off.

Silkscreening is expensive for a one off as all the costs are in the setup. And real machining engraving.....forget it!

Rob
rob
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby TimS » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:40 pm

Mike,
My dad is a retired fitter/machinist/toolmaker and might be able to help you out.
I'll speak with him and get back to you.
TimS..
TimS
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Futureman » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:25 pm

Cool.. I'll check out elgee. Sounds good.

Thanks for all the advice.

Much regards

Mike
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to D.I.Y.