pads - inline with patchbay. cct help

Are you building something? Share your resources with the locals - for more in depth D.I.Y. head to The Lab

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

pads - inline with patchbay. cct help

Postby Damien » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:46 pm

i need to make some inline pads. to go after some pres, before my converters. im thinking of cutting some bantom leads in 1/2 and putting a resistor network inline. so i can patch the pad in/out. id like 10, 20 and 30db pads.

does anyone remember how to wire pads with resistors? what values will give me close to this. any pros/cons... etc...

cheers.

damien
Damien
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Thirteen » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:01 pm

At the bottom of this page...

http://www.ethanwiner.com/gadgets.html

There is a download link to a pad component value calculator for PC. I haven't tried it as I am in Mac though....
Steve Jones
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby rob » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:11 pm

always pros and cons.
there is never a free lunch when it comes to electronics
I'd have to do the maths when i've got a calculator in front of me, but the fundamental tradeoff is that you can't create a pad that has a medium input impedance ( say 10K ) and a low output impedance unless you want a pad that drops alot of level ( say 40dB ). So the first question is are your converters happy driving a low impedance, say 600 ohms?
The downside of creating a pad with a higher output impedance is you lose the ability to drive long cables without high frequency loss / or slew rate distortion. However "whats a long cable" and exactly what sort of high frequency loss are we talking about, all become variables in a big equation.
If you had space on the patch bay, what about creating some pads within the bay itself. Bottom row input / top row output. This avoids chopping leads and ending up with a big blob of heatshink in the middle to encase the three resistors you'd need for the pad.

Rob
rob
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

pads

Postby Damien » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:24 pm

we discussed pads in the bay, but i ave more leads to spare than patch points.... and a lead with a blob is more obvious that you are changing stuff...

impedance of the converters.. one is a an apogee ad16x, the other is a lynx aurora 16..

ill read manuals again...
Damien
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Alastair Reynolds » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:50 pm

Hey Damien, I've got an old AWA Table of attenuator values , I use it to make up all sorts of pads. I'll scan it and email it to you (and anyone else who wants it). It covers T section, Pi, H etc .

send me your email or I'll send it on and someone can post it up .
Alastair Reynolds
Broadcast Radio Engineer
Master of the Dark Arts (Broadcast)
Alastair Reynolds
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

thanks

Postby Damien » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:47 pm

thanks to all..

Alastair, thank you very much. i now have buckets of info and am off to buy some stuff..

dam its hard to buy components now as compared to years ago... bloody dick smith no electronics stores..
Damien
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Futureman » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:59 pm

I avoid Dick Smith like the plague... Jaycar is generally better stocked.

Regards
Mike
Mike de Vrees

Purveyor of old stuff
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to D.I.Y.