A pub with no console

Are you building something? Share your resources with the locals - for more in depth D.I.Y. head to The Lab

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Re: A pub with no console

Postby rick » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:38 pm

oh dont talk to me about the mayans
there are freight tankers full of heavy stuff rocket ship mastering stuff that i cannot possibilly ever afford
heading to my gps spot on the planet as we speak

i figure if i keep moving around every other day they wont find me and i wont have to try them :)
what i cant try i cant buy !
or is that what i cannot buy i should not try .. either way

i cannot tell if my new studio is vietnam or afganistan right now .. seemed like a good idea at the time
but the home office is starting to question the war offices scheduling and troop movements :)
Rick O'Neil
I think we went to different schools together
turtlerockmastering.com
we listen
rick

Postby Chinagraf » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:13 pm

rick wrote:my problem is i want everything , then i get the shits because everything is messy
then i go about streamlining it so i have relitively nothing , then i want everything again just in case and on it goes

Sounds very familiar....
If you have any offcuts of granite around the size of a record keep one. They are awesome for putting in the barbie or oven till they get mega hot then you cook pizza on them. Makes for an amazing crust.
I'll check out the car wax stuff...my ferarri is in the shop at the moment ;)
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby rick » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:18 pm

rick wrote:If you have any offcuts of granite around the size of a record keep one. They are awesome for putting in the barbie or oven till they get mega hot then you cook pizza on them. Makes for an amazing crust.

thats best thing i have heard all day ... that idea is coming home in the car tonight
err...the ford this is
( my ferrari is actually parked with my unicorn and the rest of my imaginary things )
Rick O'Neil
I think we went to different schools together
turtlerockmastering.com
we listen
rick

Postby Chinagraf » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:40 pm

Ok, so I'm a bit bored at the studio so I took a 3d pic of the room. If you cross your eyes so the 2 pics make one in the middle it's just like lookin through a viewmaster when you were a kid.
For the younger members that was something us old folk had before things like Avatar....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby cavedata » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:05 pm

DwaneHollands wrote:> I
I'm looking to build a bunch (32) 430mm x 430mm broadband panel absorbers which look like canvas prints/paintings. This is kind of a room mockup of what I'm trying to achieve. but more like one picture across 9 panels.
Anyways, I'm suggesting a canvas print of whatever you want on it in full colour. The results are stunning. The texture is just beautiful and authentic, but you can have your logo or any type of photo, so you have total control on the content. You could even go to Harvey Normans and get them to print them up and just box frame it. Although our supplier has told us that our inks are lightfast to 75 years! (that was the salesy part - sorry)

However, Harvey's could be the same anyways!

It's a suggestion. Enjoy your weekend and your beautiful studio!

Hey Guys , been looking at doing something similar, except painted rather than printed. My nephew is a dab hand with airbrush / spray painting on canvas - the concept is to some of his stuff in to absorbers.
[img][img][/img][/img]
Onley worry being will painted canvas interfer with the effectiveness of the absorbers ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave Carter
cavedata

Postby tony » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:37 pm

I have a bunch that are white cloth over a frame filled with absorption materials , then I have gotten artist friends of mine to draw on them with black pens. Seem to work ok, the drawings are strange range but as it is all the same medium/colour it works well enough for me. Also make for a talking point with clients. The only down fall is while they get done I lose them from the studio for a while, but that the price you pay for art.
Tony Brumpton
Tone Black Productions
http://www.toneblack.com
tony

Postby Kurt » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:00 am

I guess a heavy acrylic paint would stop high frequency absorption, but shouldn't affect mid/low stuff. The rule of thumb is if you can blow through it then sound can pass though. If the paint seals the surface it would reduce its efficacy.
Kurt Neist
Chief cook and bottle washer - Metalworx
Kurt
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Chinagraf » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:54 pm

GIK acoustic panels make custom printed ones also...but they are US based..
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby DwaneHollands » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:51 pm

This is my first prototype of a broadband absorber. I have 75mm insulation stuffed inside a 42mm frame, so it bulges a little. I think I'm going to make the frame deeper and go with a 68mm frame.

P1010862.JPG
Dwane Hollands

Hollands Print Solutions
www.hollands.com.au
DwaneHollands
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chinagraf » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:58 pm

Print quality looks damn fine..
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby DwaneHollands » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:07 pm

Chinagraf wrote:Print quality looks damn fine..

Yeah, I've been pretty impressed with how this canvas printing turns out. Close up it looks quite sharp, but even that image is not the full potential of the resolution. (although you can't tell from this photograph).

That was a test image I downloaded, and I knew it was only about half the resolution it needed to be, but I just needed to print something for a test. I can't wait to do something with full resolution. I mean from 2 feet away you couldn't tell the difference, but I love that fine detail and it will bother me if it's anything less. lol!

The vibrancy of the colours has impressed me no end!
Dwane Hollands

Hollands Print Solutions
www.hollands.com.au
DwaneHollands
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby prequalizer » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:24 am

Isnt canvas reflective and not good for sound absorption?
Old school of thought...
prequalizer

Postby DwaneHollands » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:03 pm

prequalizer wrote:Isnt canvas reflective and not good for sound absorption?

For certain frequencies yes. I'm told it will probably reflect upper mids. I'm looking to absorb lower mids to mids. From what I've heard it's all about balancing the rt60 for each frequency in order to achieve a good listening environment. The mistake most people make is they use the 'ole egg carton and absorb all the top end which further throws out the balance since top end is not as problematic as lower mids down to lows.

Running 3 x 3 spaced grids of these should give me some diffusion on the high mids.

But I could be wrong, won't be able to tell until I hang em all up.
Dwane Hollands

Hollands Print Solutions
www.hollands.com.au
DwaneHollands
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Futureman » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:39 am

Hey I just gotta say that your console-less approach has inspired me!

Since the baby is on the way, I've packed away my 32Ch A&H console and moved my gear to a much smaller room..

Tonight I was playing with hardware inserts via p-tools and hardware aux sends, and it was awesome.. Insert the DimD. done.. aux send to the Primetime. done. Insert a 1176 - done.

I like. The only downside is that the 'puter needs to be on for me to just muck around.. I was always happy to not have a obiously visible computer in my stoodio.. times change i guess.

Regards
Mike
Mike de Vrees

Purveyor of old stuff
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chinagraf » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:15 pm

Yeah Mike, I know exactly what you mean, that side of it is awesome. Except for when you recall mixes with outboard over the main buss, and forget they aren't turned on, and sit there for an hour swearing thinking your whole setup has crapped itself, then you look over and see no power lights on.
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Previous

Return to D.I.Y.