DIY

Are you building something? Share your resources with the locals - for more in depth D.I.Y. head to The Lab

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

DIY

Postby chris p » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:34 pm

Yes, there's lots of build and schematic forums out there, and I don't think its worth duplicating them here, but my interest was sparked by MDFU Chris's confessions on his current work. Rick / Mark, would you consider a new forum section for the DIY community here at TRM? This could be the first post?

For the newbies .....

Why DIY?

More than anything else, building it teaches you how to work with it. You know what it does, how it does it and whether fiddling the dials a certain way will have a chance of working or not.

You can also make sure the internal parts are up to scratch, and socket any IC's for future upgrades.

And most fun of all, you get to hack the design to make the thing do what you want it to do. Its uniquely yours.

Why not DIY?

It's not spectacularly cheaper, especially when you factor the value of your own time into the equation.

Most projects require patience to work it through, and often do not work the first time. Tossing you half-built kit into the bin is an expensive mistake. You've got to persevere, sometimes.

High voltages kill you. You need basic safety awareness before you do anything that involves high voltages (including mains power and many tube projects). Remember mains power devices may require (strictly speaking) the services of a licensed electrician and/or power authority signoff.

It's hard to get decent looking front panels. Your studio will lack that polish that comes from mass produced engraved front panels. A criticism of the FMR RNC is that it looks "too DIY".

My DIY

I've built a pair of the Gyraf SSL4000 stereo compressors.

I've built the Paia M/S stereo microphone.

I'm building a 1U set of 4 JLM baby animal preamps (with 1:4 input trannies and the 99V opamp if you want the gory details), with variable impedance.

I've had lots of fun building a Neveitis 1073l, a Vintagifier NCC1702 and a rip-off Palindrometer IO/01 (if you don't know, don't ask!).

Some Links

JLM Audio is the best. As they say, never take your JLM to a friend's place to A/B against their Neve preamp. Let them live with their illusions.
www.jlmaudio.com

Paia is more hobbyist in nature, but that doesn't stop them from making excellent kits. Their theremin is quite reknowned.
www.paia.com

Gyraf is probably one of the most well known DIY sources, with good info and links to sourcing pre-made PCBs.
http://www.gyraf.dk/gy_pd/gyraf_diy.html

The DIY community
http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/index.php

- - - 0 - - -

If I can get my image server working, I'll post some photos. In the meantime, if anyone else in DIY wants to play, post away.
chris p
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby JulienG » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:55 am

Thought I might pitch in my own DIY effort, I'm making a custom console out of SSL 5k modules, it's still in the design stage so if people know anywhere I can try for additional modules (Currently looking ~10 inputs 2 aux with the modules I have) would be much appreciated.
JulienG
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Kris » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:13 am

There were a few 5000 modules on ebay a while back but I think your best bet would be audiojunkie.co.uk.
Kris

Postby mfdu » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:53 pm

there's been good thread on racking ssl5000 modules on the prodigy forums.

they had to chop the original motherboard into three or four sections, and then tie them back together again point-to-point. there were internal photos of the process and the finished result. i just can't find the damn thread for you!!!
but here's one on the actual schemo's :
http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/viewto ... t=ssl+5000

in short - i'd love to know other people are doing it them selves. means i'm not the only one running around with shredded fingers covered in scars from the soldering iron!!!!
maybe we'll be able to help each other in our testing and fault-finding?

chris.
mfdu.
mfdu
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby tall_phill » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:31 pm

I've built some Jlm 99v preamps. Got some 1176 clones in the works (in slow-mo). An old spring reverb to rack up and other bits to play with.

It great fun and an excellent way to learn about the tools you use on a daily basis.
tall_phill

Postby heathen » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:06 am

[quote="Kris"]There were a few 5000 modules on ebay a while back but I think your best bet would be audiojunkie.co.uk.[/quote]

Do not buy anything from audiojunkie as I think he probably really is a junkie from what i've read on some other forums, people paid for modules and never ever recieved them, there were/are quite a few who have been ripped off. I don't know whether this has changed and if they were re imbursed but this bloke is trouble, from what ive read.
heathen
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Ausrock » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:37 pm

I don't that an actual DIY forum here is necessary.

If someone has a project under way, or knows of something specifically of interest over at The Lab, why not just start a thread about it. If we make a habit of starting the thread titles with "DIY-_______" then it won't be hard to track them down here.

8)
Ausrock
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby mfdu » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:11 am

i'm inclined to agree. whenever i've wanted to bling it up with the posse, i make a thread (or hijack someone elses!)

speaking of which - anyone know "CEI"?? ex ABC, apparently. i just got two tapedecks with preamps, intending to salvage the pre's.
bugger it - i'll make a thread.

chris.
mfdu
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Mark Bassett » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:53 pm

We now have a D.I.Y. section to the forum...

Mark
Mark Bassett
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Ausrock » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:28 pm

Whoooop............Snooooort......................We now have a DIY forum.

DAMN.........reverse psychology works on the forum admin......hehehe.

ChrisO
Ausrock
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Mark Bassett » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:51 pm

DON'T send us piles of cash
Mark Bassett
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby JulienG » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:52 am

Mark Bassett wrote:DON'T send us piles of cash

Monopoly money OK?

But seriously, I must drop round with a beer when I'm up your way in January.
JulienG
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Return to D.I.Y.