DIY channel - suggestions for EQ?

Are you building something? Share your resources with the locals - for more in depth D.I.Y. head to The Lab

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

DIY channel - suggestions for EQ?

Postby chris p » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:52 pm

I've been playing with the idea of a DIY channel, based on the idea of a JLM preamp, a middle bit, and then the Gyraf 1172 compressor.

The missing middle bit would be a simplish 3 band EQ, high and low shelfs, middle maybe with some frequency options, or maybe not. Anyone know of something that might fit the bill?

The alternative might be to buy a vintage preamp, eq, and comp from Vintage City, and just focus on connecting it all together with a nice VU. I'm looking for something other than an "off the shelf" sound that's screams nice vocals.
chris p
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby mfdu » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:23 pm

gyraf has the PeQ1 and the calrec eq boards for sale - http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10776

or maybe baumans EQ250A (based on SONTEC MEP250A) - http://www.thediypill.phx.com.br/buyboards.htm

unsure if the voltages will play nicely - you may need one of those JLM power supply boards which can provide 5 power rails!

definately folks on prodigy have created DIY channel strips in the past, FWIW.
oops, i mean [i]for what it is worth.[/i]
chris.
mfdu
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby JLM Audio » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:47 pm

Just for general food for thought you can insert a compressor and passive EQ inline to a JLM dual 99v mic pre without adding any other audio stages. Only a side chain for the compressor and still get a mic pre with 70dB of gain.

JLM Audio

Postby chris p » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:29 am

Thanks Joe

Mind you, I only starting wondering about this when your own channel strip idea was ditched from the re-designed site - if that project is still in the pipeline, then I'm ready to forget this and just wait. Without giving away any secrets, is patience a virtue or should dreamers come back to earth?
chris p
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to D.I.Y.