I've finally made some pages for my DIY projects

Are you building something? Share your resources with the locals - for more in depth D.I.Y. head to The Lab

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

I've finally made some pages for my DIY projects

Postby mfdu » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:18 am

hurrah!

finally made some DIY project pages on my website.

not much there yet, but i plan on uploading Bill of Material files and useful links for each project (1176, opto, la2a)

i haven't included the gSSL mixbus compressor, because i need to build another unit or two - my current unit is stuffed and i can't figure out why!

anyway, there you go.

chris.
mfdu
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby astrovic » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:51 pm

Hi Chris

Good stuff! If I'm not mistaken, I think I can see your 1176 and WHAT towards to top of your rig on the front page of your site.

I have a question for you - it looks to me like you've used the Vu meter from Altronics for your 1176 (part no. Q0490) - is that right? Have you have any problems with it? I'm currently building my 1176, and I can get the metter to display gain reduction (in GR mode)*, but I can't get it to display "vu" - I can't think of a better term for it right now- the meter just stays on the left and doesn't move.

I'm currently questioning whether it's the vu meter at fault, because otherwise my unit seems to work just nicely.

(It could be that I did the old trick ofgiving its lamp 38v of ac, which blew it up quick smart, but I'm doubting that that would otherwise affect the operation of the meter).

If your meters are working fine for you, then at least I know it's not the meter that's at fault, or otherwise my meter is a dud and I can order a new one (I'd much prefer the $19.50 Altronics meter to the $50+ sifam versions, if I can get away with it!)

Cheers mate - ad congrats on the site.

Chris (yeah, I know another one!)
astrovic
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby astrovic » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:30 am

Mdfu - just found your post somewhere else on this site that answers my question about the Altronics meter - looks like my meter is fine, it just doesn't work in Vu mode.

Cheers mate!
astrovic
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby mfdu » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:53 am

yes you're right - the cheap-ass altronics meters (and the cheap meters from rs components) are not rectified VU's - they wont show the output levels on the 1176 like you want. they will show GR tho.

if you want the real deal, ask rick. he's got proper sifam VU's, and they're a good price!!!!

chris.

how many damn chris's are on this forum????
mfdu
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby astrovic » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:55 pm

One Chris too many - and that one too many is me

Yeah, I think I'll ask Rick...better check with the boss first as the credit card is starting to look evil, and I'll want at least 2 (I plan to turn my single 1176 into a dual, so might as well make sure I have matching meters).

Cheers man
astrovic
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby mfdu » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:46 pm

have you found the 'front panel express' program? it's free, and is great for laying out front panels for your DIY gear. if you plan on doing your own metalwork, that is.

ummm - http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/download/index.htm

i changed my single 1176's to duals after i'd done the initial metalwork (needed to reduce the cost per unit by sharing PSU trannie and case) - got some FPD files i can send to you if you need . . .

chris.
(mfdu)
mfdu
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby astrovic » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:03 pm

Yeah, I've FPD it in bits and pieces, and do my own metalwork. I bought a drill press and a couple of step drill bits, so I'm set up nicely in that regard.

I'd love to see your fpd file - I got my single channel front panel together using mainly Corel and layout of parts on the front panel by eye, but I think going two channels will need to be a bit more "scientific" given that real estate on the front panel will be at a premium.

Cheers mate, and thanks for the help!
Last edited by astrovic on Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
astrovic
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby mfdu » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:48 pm

all my contact details are on my website. drop me a line. i will post the FPD files on my diy / g1176 page, so others can use them too.

i soooo have to get myself a stepped drill bit. it would really help!

just finished making rack ears for my tape decks. i used 3mm 50x50 angle steel, so those buggers ain't goin nowhere. but what a headache, measuring up and cutting and drilling.

now i know why i like the jaycar rack cases - 2mm aluminium front panels are a lot easier. and my nibbler tool fits. (only just)

chris.
mfdu
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Ausrock » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:50 pm

Gawd, one of these light years I may actually get some spare dollars and time to finish my DIY gear.

Fortunately, my dollars have been going towards music.............I've only recently produced my first ply snare shell prototypes and so far so good which is comforting as it's been almost 18 months of R&D to get to this stage.

(Another) Chris............:-)
Ausrock
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby astrovic » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:49 pm

Holy crap, it's Chris central!

Snare shells sound hard. I have trouble cutting wood in a straight line, let alone making it form a circle. Best of luck with this!

Chris (mfdu) - just sent you an e-mail. I need to make some rack ears for a bass preamp I've got (the existing ears have crapped out from years of abuse), but I'm not looking forward to it. On the to do list, I think...
astrovic
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Return to D.I.Y.