Volts RMS

Are you building something? Share your resources with the locals - for more in depth D.I.Y. head to The Lab

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Volts RMS

Postby Chinagraf » Tue May 01, 2012 1:51 am

Looking at transformers for making these splits, and wondering for line levels acoustic guitars with pickups and keyboards, a tranny with a max input voltage of 5V rms should be enough, shouldn't it?
Thanks
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Volts RMS

Postby rob » Tue May 01, 2012 10:40 pm

5V rms is around +16dBu. Typical electric guitar level is around -20dBu, with some pickups giving peaks around 0dBu. Keyboards are a bit more of a wild card, but you'll be DI-ing these yeah?
So, yes these should be fine. But do note that the figure on its own is pretty meaningless as saturation or distortion in a transformer is very frequency dependent. Other specs such as flatness of frequency response and how dependent the response is to various loading conditions is also fundamentally important. In this application the quality of the shielding is important, you don't want hum pickup on high gain mic lines.
rob
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby Chinagraf » Wed May 02, 2012 11:31 pm

Thanks Rob. Yes, keys and acoustic gtrs are all di'ed. Is MU metal shielding the only sort to have, or can those ones with the copper tape on the winds work as well? Although this is just a little 8 way that is going to be permanent in a little venue, so I guess I could just suck it and see..
Cheers
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby mylesgm » Thu May 03, 2012 10:30 am

Build it into a steel case with ground lift and shielding/hum pickup shouldn't be a problem.
Myles Mumford
Producer/Composer/Engineer/Sound Artist
Making records in sunny Melbourne

www.mylesmumford.com
mylesgm
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Alastair Reynolds » Fri May 11, 2012 8:20 am

Harbuch do some nice little DI transformers in mu-metal cans not too expensive,or jensens,sowters,lundahls etc if you have the budget.there are plenty of ccts on the inter web.I made some nice ones 20 years ago using sennheiser transformers in little die cast boxes.they sound better than any active DI and never need batteries
Alastair Reynolds
Broadcast Radio Engineer
Master of the Dark Arts (Broadcast)
Alastair Reynolds
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Return to D.I.Y.