Neve 1073 fader resistor, Shep SN8 version

Are you building something? Share your resources with the locals - for more in depth D.I.Y. head to The Lab

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Neve 1073 fader resistor, Shep SN8 version

Postby Chinagraf » Sat May 05, 2012 6:42 pm

Hi guys,
I'm racking my Shep SN8 and want to add a 5k pot supplied by our generous overlord. The shep doesn't have the 5K resistor on the inside connector between pins E & K like a 1073, but I checked the pins and got the same resistance with a multimeter (well 4K7). I traced it to the resistor on the circuit board marked with the red arrow. I think this is Shep's version of the Neve resistor on the inside connector? Anyone agree?
The end at the red arrow connects to pin K and the other end to pin E.
So, to add a 5k fader I need to remove this, can I just cut the wire that goes to pin K, or do I need to disconnect both ends?
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Neve 1073 fader resistor, Shep SN8 version

Postby rob » Mon May 07, 2012 11:12 pm

only need to cut one end of the resistor. So you should be finding that pins K and L are linked ie dead short. You need to find how to also break this link if you want to add a level pot.
Once you do this then the pot is wired with E to the CCW terminal, K to the CW terminal and L to the wiper.
rob
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby Chinagraf » Tue May 08, 2012 12:10 am

HI Rob, thanks for the info. K & L just have a pin soldered across them on the connector which is easy to remove.
Cheers.
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby rob » Tue May 08, 2012 8:34 am

oh, and the original has a 5K1 from K to E. You still want to keep this in place. I wonder if that is the 4K7 you are seeing in the Shep?
rob
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby Chinagraf » Tue May 08, 2012 1:39 pm

Hmmm, I'm not really sure. The harness was already made for this years ago when I bought it.
The way it has always been with the harness and power supply it came with was with the pcb resistor, which reads 4K7 between K and E, and K & L are just straight shorted together with a little bit of wire.
There has never been the resistor between Kand E on the inside of the Amphenol socket like the Neves have.
I guess I'll leave it as it is without snipping the pcb resistor, add a pot and see what it does to the HPF.
Thanks again Rob.
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to D.I.Y.