recommend female TRS to Female XLR

Are you building something? Share your resources with the locals - for more in depth D.I.Y. head to The Lab

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

recommend female TRS to Female XLR

Postby Wiz » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:37 am

Heres the thing.

I run a multicore in my studio. Its a 16 X 4. I use the 4 to send back headphone mixes via my patchbay.

So I run a cable that is female XLR and needs to end up female TRS, so I can plug a set of headphones into it.

Over the years I have used many different types of cables, adapters and they all have one thing in common, they all end up broken and suffer from poor connection at the female TRS end of things.

I want to build the following

A small box that I can clip to the mic stand, the has a female XLR to female TRS connectors.

I want a really REALLY good TRS connection that can be mounted in a box.

Anyone know of one, I wont be replacing in a couple of months time?

thanks

Peter
Peter Knight

Cant ego loquemur Latine

http://www.peterknightmusician.com
Wiz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: recommend female TRS to Female XLR

Postby Junction » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:44 pm

Peter, what about the panel mount 1/4" Neutrik sockets; NJ3FP6C They are very solid and a whole lot less breakable than what you have probably been using. The only annoying thing about these, is they are locking, so you have to push the red tab to extract your headphone plug

Element 14 have them, part no: 212180, you might be able to find a cheaper source elsewhere.

... and then what about mounting it into a small diecast aluminium box and either have an xlr socket on the other side of the box or a couple of meters of mic cable back to your multicore box.

Just a thought
Junction

Postby Wiz » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:16 pm

Junction wrote:Peter, what about the panel mount 1/4" Neutrik sockets; NJ3FP6C They are very solid and a whole lot less breakable than what you have probably been using. The only annoying thing about these, is they are locking, so you have to push the red tab to extract your headphone plug

Element 14 have them, part no: 212180, you might be able to find a cheaper source elsewhere.

... and then what about mounting it into a small diecast aluminium box and either have an xlr socket on the other side of the box or a couple of meters of mic cable back to your multicore box.

Just a thought

thanks Michael will chase it up...

thanks again

cheers

Peter
Peter Knight

Cant ego loquemur Latine

http://www.peterknightmusician.com
Wiz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby mylesgm » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:37 pm

That is essentially what I do. I run xlrs everywhere in my studio and then have a little junction box that has an xlr on one side and a pair of trs on the other for the headphones. All female inline trs sockets suck.
You could always make up a few of these boxes that have xlr m and f and trs sockets all paralleled together so that you can easily gender change or connector change anything.
Myles Mumford
Producer/Composer/Engineer/Sound Artist
Making records in sunny Melbourne

www.mylesmumford.com
mylesgm
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to D.I.Y.