An older AWA lands on the bench

Are you building something? Share your resources with the locals - for more in depth D.I.Y. head to The Lab

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

An older AWA lands on the bench

Postby Alastair Reynolds » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:47 am

For those who love the old AWA gear, this is the latest addition awaiting some love.
Serial Number 4, AWA Consolette. No Case, No power supply and in need of a lot of work.
These used 8 x 6AU6 pentodes in triode mode for the preamps and drivers.
So I have 4 and 14, Evan's one as featured outside the Byer Motel is S/N 103 (and by the look of it in better condition than my other one).(Edit Evan's is 103, S/N 25 is with Dave Crittle at Retrovox in Wagga)

Old number 4 is going to take a while I think. It was found sitting in the bottom of a dusty old cupboard in a garage in Lithgow, where it has been for about 40 years
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Alastair Reynolds on Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alastair Reynolds
Broadcast Radio Engineer
Master of the Dark Arts (Broadcast)
Alastair Reynolds
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Re: An older AWA lands on the bench

Postby Junction » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:27 pm

oh nice one Alastair, its a shame the aluminium face plate is badly banged up, not so easy to fix that, the rest I am sure you'll be able to fix, now I want one, what do you need two of them for?
Junction

Postby EvLoutonian » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:47 pm

The panel isn't actually too bad.. But the busted meter makes things look worse.
Would that version have been plain aluminium originally?
Mine is type 2G52107 & has painted blue panel, with just some aluminium features showing through.
Evan Lorden, Well Worn Workshops, Melbourne
EvLoutonian

Postby EvLoutonian » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:50 pm

Funny, I'm daunted enough with the prospect of just connecting the thing up properly (to PSU/feeds in / out etc from tag board tabs).. You on the other hand, Alastair, obviously know no such fear!
EvLoutonian

Postby Alastair Reynolds » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:07 pm

2 ? Stereo of course :p
The front panel will probably come up pretty well as a lot of what looks like damage is actually paint splashes and grot. Only a few actual gouges. Luckily I also have a spare Simpson Meter for it.
So Make up a nice case, build a power supply, about 250V at 200mA and 5 Amps for the heaters and lights, change all the attenuators (All fornicated) lube the switches, source an input transformer for Channels 1&2, new valve sockets blah blah blah and put aside a week to play .
Alastair Reynolds
Broadcast Radio Engineer
Alastair Reynolds
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby EvLoutonian » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:16 pm

Keep us posted!!
I wanna see some pics as you go.
(-:
EvLoutonian

Postby Drumstruck » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:25 am

Nice to see these getting restored - look forward to seeing the end job Alastair :-)
Ian Dare
Drumstruck
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby EvLoutonian » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:00 pm

Any progress on this project?
(~:
EvLoutonian

Postby Alastair Reynolds » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:11 am

Sadly none yet,it's on the list along with the A80-24,2 x RME 200 (mono class A discrete broadcast),the RME 300s,RME 400, a PR&E BMX-10,the Gatesway tube console, and the Ampex and Studer 2 tracks. I really need 6 months off work to get everything finished. I can hear Greg Hooke's laughter ringing in my ears.I also need an acreage with a big shed.
Better buy a lotto ticket or pray for an obscure relative to leave me a mind numbing inheritance.
Alastair Reynolds
Broadcast Radio Engineer
Alastair Reynolds
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby EvLoutonian » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:12 pm

I'll join in on the praying!
I'd love to see some pics of the various projects!
(at whatever stage of repair)

Here's hoping some spare time comes your way.
;-)
EvLoutonian

Postby Hookemeister » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:18 pm

I can hear Greg Hooke's laughter ringing in my ears.

As Mel Brooks says... "we mock the things we are to be"

so I'm not laughing and if I was, it would be at myself... I'm in exactly the same position... too many things to do and too little time.

Maybe when we retire Alastair...
Greg Hooke
Hookemeister
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Paul Maybury » Tue May 13, 2014 5:33 pm

Hi Alastiar, do you have any old RME broadcast limiters by chance?
I had the pleasure of using one recently, it was very nice. An opto design I think, solid state with whopping great transformers and truck loads of gain.
I have never seen another one.
Cheers,
Paul
Paul Maybury
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Alastair Reynolds » Wed May 14, 2014 9:17 pm

Yes I do actually,an RME 34A1 Broadcast Limiter and some RME limiting DAs.(Brick wall with 5 outputs at +24dB)
The 34 is A relatively simple device with a no-docs / black epoxy secret gain control section ala Optro "patent".
It has an on off switch, GR meter and I/p &O/P level and a few internal adjustments.it uses obscure P700 series 7 pin connectors, the same as Quad 50E amps for I/O try finding them these days. I must get it out and fire it up one day and put a picture up.It's in the limiter/ collection of things to get around to, along with some BIG-1 s, some Gates Solid statesman's AGC &Limiters,a Moseley TFL 280,,A Transmission Products 216, a Harris/Gates MPC 100 (Multiband comp/limit),a Dorrough DAP 310, a CRL AM stereo enhancer,prep and C-Quam limiter, some LA-4s ,1178,Orban 418,,Audimax 4440 &4450,a drawmer 1960, Various Analog &Digital Optimods, some TC DB-Max and P2 Level Pilots,a DBX 165,Valley 610,an ARX afterburner and some Symetrix 422 & 565 boxes. Yes I like limiters,but I like consoles,tape machines,cart decks as well.

I've got silicon well represented but really need to expand the thermionic side of things.Some of Norms STC or RCAs or the like. I've got the bits to build a 436C clone and a Sta-level clone, but not the time to do it.
Mostly as you see it's transmission limiters and the like and pretty well all mono and for AM,though the TCs and Digital Optimods do OK on FM and DAB or Streaming.
Maybe Rick can start a show us your limiters thread. I've seen some drool worthy ones in Linear and at the Tasmanian's old joint in recent times,far more impressive that the junk I've got, and of Course ,Norms legendary collection.
Alastair Reynolds
Broadcast Radio Engineer
Alastair Reynolds
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby EvLoutonian » Wed May 14, 2014 9:41 pm

Holy shit-sticks, Al!
That's a whole lotta comp's!
Hey, I've always been curious to see a pic of more "Transmission Products" gear.
I've got a couple of those "Type 1" 40dB preamp cartridges in a rack (with the T.P power supply module & one Trimax Type 1 cartridge). But I've never seen anything else from them..
Hmm, I say let's get this LIMITERS thread happening.
Your collection alone is worthy of a whole thread, I'd say!!
EvLoutonian

Postby Paul Maybury » Wed May 14, 2014 9:51 pm

Hi Alastair,the RME 34A1 sounds like it's the same as the one I used. From memory it had screw terminal i/o, though that might have been a mod. It was very useable for recording with great tone.
The RME limiting DA sounds like a great solution for headphone distro.
I am a big fan of old limiters too, currently refurbing and modding some 400 series CBS Volumax and Audimaxs. Initial results are very promising!
I vote for a "show us your limiters" thread.
Cheers,
Paul
Paul Maybury
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby EvLoutonian » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:35 pm

Hey Al..

Had a chance to work more through that AWA Consolette restoration, or other (big collection!) limiter projects list?

KEEN TO HEAR MORE!
EvLoutonian

Return to D.I.Y.