Sequencer Idea

Moderators: Thirteen, rick, Mark Bassett

Sequencer Idea

Postby Futureman » Thu May 08, 2008 5:19 am

Hey all..

I need some input from you kind fellas.

Me and a mate are building a simple midi & CV sequencer..

It's simple, but gonna be pretty high tech.. it'll be stand alone, with a heap of crappy funtions (yea, I talk up our work) and it'll have a touch screen with a colour display.

What sort of sequencer are you people looking for / using?

We are toying with the idea of a sequencer that records CV & Gate as well as midi.. something that you can plug your old crappy CV synth into, play it from it's own keyboard, and listen to it's sequence without messing about with cables etc...
This would have a dedicate midi in just for sync.. (Could have Din sync too)
Also, with an emphasis on real time performance / recording.. (+step time for the slackers)

Do you recon there would be much demand for this?

Price would be lowish.. approx $400US.

your input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Mike
User avatar
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
 
Posts: 991
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:47 pm
Location: Sydney

Postby wez » Thu May 08, 2008 9:28 am

mike, don't know much about your sequencer - sounds great, but what would i know - but dude.... your website! that is too too cool, one of the funnest bits of web i've seen in ages. nice work!

wez
User avatar
wez
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 1185
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 10:38 pm
Location: Slightly to the left.

Re: Sequencer Idea

Postby rachelp » Thu May 08, 2008 12:24 pm

Futureman wrote:Hey all..

I need some input from you kind fellas.

Me and a mate are building a simple midi & CV sequencer..

It's simple, but gonna be pretty high tech.. it'll be stand alone, with a heap of crappy funtions (yea, I talk up our work) and it'll have a touch screen with a colour display.

What sort of sequencer are you people looking for / using?

We are toying with the idea of a sequencer that records CV & Gate as well as midi.. something that you can plug your old crappy CV synth into, play it from it's own keyboard, and listen to it's sequence without messing about with cables etc...
This would have a dedicate midi in just for sync.. (Could have Din sync too)
Also, with an emphasis on real time performance / recording.. (+step time for the slackers)

Do you recon there would be much demand for this?

Price would be lowish.. approx $400US.

your input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Mike



I would like something with a x0x style interface, like the TR-707 matrix and dedicated press keys like an MC-202 or 303 for programming.
Also, following the x0x idea, 16 note patterns and the ability to edit on the fly/change patterns in edit mode/pattern linking etc.....

Ideally it won't be like the 202 and have the laggy CV/Gate problem. I am also interested in a device similar to the Flame Clockwork,
which I am considering buying. Also, if it can produce lots of gate gate pulses, via clock division 8/16/32 notes and swing, that would be terrific.
Lots of output options would be nice. 1 or 2 channels! I do not know the exact details, but storing CV/Gates is expensive, so if you have a solution
that is cheap and works, it would be excellent.

I do not know how much all that would add to your production costs. Given I am also considering something like a Mobius, it would be much nicer to
get an Aussie product instead. Oh, it should have lots of memory for sequences, too and some sort MIDI dump!

Good luck and please let me know if you actually do something. Would like to have one.... If I won the lottery I would love to invest in a product like this!


rachel
rachelp
Registered User
Registered User
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:39 pm
Location: Western Sydney

Postby electrofetish » Thu May 08, 2008 3:40 pm

I will order one now
Touch screen is pretty fancy

Will you make numbered keyrings like the x0x guys?
User avatar
electrofetish
Registered User
Registered User
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:44 pm
Location: Sydney

Postby Futureman » Thu May 08, 2008 3:51 pm

If you want something like a mobius etc (which i've also got) or an xoxbox (That too) check out www.Ucapps.de
And check out the Seq 3.. I've just finished building one of them, and they are the best sequencer i've ever used AMEN... very very impressive.
(That's not what i'm gonna sell, they have a strick policy on that)

They have the potential for 48 ! ! trigger outs.
Awesome shuffle..
Actually, I can't praise this sequencer enough.. too much to mention.. 128 different scales.. 64 midi tracks at once! slides... potential for CV outs... 4 midi outs!.. 96ppq internal resolution... every option you could poke a stick at.. 2x big LCD screens... approx 50 buttons + 17 encoders... EVERYTHING.

Back to our sequencer idea..

Ideally, it's gonna have not much buttons etc, but all the interaction will be done from either the CV keyboard, or the Midi keyboard, and / or the touch screen. (did i mention it is colour?)

Storing CV is not that expensive.. Micro's are getting pretty fancy these days..

It won't have a keyboard, as you will be recording the keys from your keyboard, but it will have the ability to open up a window with a keyboard on it so you can program it from the screen, but this is a little bit less than ideal.. small screen.. squinty eyes etc.. think about the same size as the Nintendo DS's touch screen.

The screen will be used for options / transport ra ra ra.
The whole xox idea of note entry is very easy to implement, so prob will..
We really want to implement the idea of a phrase sequencer also.. so you bash out the riff in real time, it quantizes it (if you want) and spits out the bar (or more) in time with the beat..
Then you can switch between patterns on the fly without missing a beat..
Dumping via midi is easy peasy.

yep.. we are kinda forging ahead with this sequencer.... it's just ideas and prototypes the moment tho..

Regards

Mike
User avatar
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
 
Posts: 991
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:47 pm
Location: Sydney

Postby Futureman » Thu May 08, 2008 3:52 pm

electrofetish wrote:I will order one now
Touch screen is pretty fancy

Will you make numbered keyrings like the x0x guys?


No, you get a special pearl necklace, Ryan.
User avatar
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
 
Posts: 991
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:47 pm
Location: Sydney

Postby Futureman » Thu May 08, 2008 3:56 pm

wez wrote:mike, don't know much about your sequencer - sounds great, but what would i know - but dude.... your website! that is too too cool, one of the funnest bits of web i've seen in ages. nice work!

wez


Cheers buddy.. Most of the artwork comes from my extensive & crappy record collection.
User avatar
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
 
Posts: 991
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:47 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Sequencer Idea

Postby Futureman » Thu May 08, 2008 4:14 pm

rachelp wrote:
Ideally it won't be like the 202 and have the laggy CV/Gate problem.
rachel


If you want, this can be fixed on your 202.. (the CV & gate IN lag)
I did this to mine & Ryans.. not that a complicated procedure.
User avatar
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
 
Posts: 991
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:47 pm
Location: Sydney

Postby Chinagraf » Thu May 08, 2008 5:22 pm

Who on earth made your birthday cake? Awesome....
User avatar
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:09 am
Location: Melbourne

Postby rachelp » Thu May 08, 2008 8:56 pm

Put me on the list too. I am happy to be an "early adoptor" so long as I can get it refitted when your make design changes! Would work
great with my analogue monsters...

I think I will skip the "pearl necklace" though - IYNWIM, AITYD ;)


rachel
rachelp
Registered User
Registered User
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:39 pm
Location: Western Sydney

Postby jkhuri44 » Thu May 08, 2008 9:13 pm

IYNWIM, AITYD ;)



that must be the longest acronym i've seen!
jkhuri44
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
 
Posts: 2528
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:53 pm
Location: Dundas

Postby Futureman » Fri May 09, 2008 2:18 am

jkhuri44 wrote:
IYNWIM, AITYD ;)



that must be the longest acronym i've seen!


yea, and i'm trying to work out what it stands for.. lol.
User avatar
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
 
Posts: 991
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:47 pm
Location: Sydney

Postby jkhuri44 » Fri May 09, 2008 10:46 am

yah, i dont know what it stands for either!!

hahaa...


but...back to the thread....

the following would be a cool addition, if its even possible......

"can a sequencer trigger off other midi events other than just pitch and velocity??"

i've always been dreaming of a sequencer which it were possible to trigger things like a whammy effect spanning over 2 or 3 slots....or, slight pitch bends, or turn on an octave effect for just 1 beat, or delay the end of a sequence, etc...

is something like that actually feasible??? or....worse yet, am I that behind that something like this already exists without my knowledge?? :P
jkhuri44
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
 
Posts: 2528
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:53 pm
Location: Dundas

Postby rachelp » Fri May 09, 2008 10:48 am

Futureman wrote:
jkhuri44 wrote:
IYNWIM, AITYD ;)



that must be the longest acronym i've seen!


yea, and i'm trying to work out what it stands for.. lol.


And stupid me, I typed the first bit wrong.

It should be:

IYKWIM, AITYD

a usual reply to an obscure reference such as "pearl necklace".......


So you should be able to google it now..... :/


rachel
rachelp
Registered User
Registered User
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:39 pm
Location: Western Sydney

Postby Futureman » Fri May 09, 2008 1:14 pm

jkhuri44 wrote:"can a sequencer trigger off other midi events other than just pitch and velocity??"

i've always been dreaming of a sequencer which it were possible to trigger things like a whammy effect spanning over 2 or 3 slots....or, slight pitch bends,


I've been noodling with my SEQ3, and it can record on each track 3 different events... traditionally Note,Velocity,Gatelength... but it can be CC's or anything.. so I guess that could sort of do what you want..

Regards
Mike
User avatar
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
 
Posts: 991
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:47 pm
Location: Sydney

Postby rachelp » Fri May 09, 2008 1:20 pm

The Doepfer MAQ 16/3 can also do this.


rachel
rachelp
Registered User
Registered User
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:39 pm
Location: Western Sydney

Postby jkhuri44 » Fri May 09, 2008 2:11 pm

man,i need to get into analog synths more...i know jacksquat about em!!

haha...

would loove a doepfer system 100 though!!! is the MAQ 16/3 a module that fits in the system 100??
jkhuri44
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
 
Posts: 2528
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:53 pm
Location: Dundas

Postby rachelp » Fri May 09, 2008 2:28 pm

jkhuri44 wrote:man,i need to get into analog synths more...i know jacksquat about em!!

haha...

would loove a doepfer system 100 though!!! is the MAQ 16/3 a module that fits in the system 100??


The Doepfer A100 series comes as 3 basic systems, which are preconfigured with modules to build various
analogue synths. The A100 1 & 2 are 6RU cases that come with loads of modules to get going right away.

I have the A-100 Mini System, which is only 3RU, but has all the modules required to create a 2VCO, 1 Filter, 1 ADSR, LFO, CV/MIDI and so on.
In effect it is like a Roland System 100M in architecture.

The MAQ 16/3 sequencer is a 4RU case that has 3 channels of 16 steps each (hence the name), but has MIDI output as well as CV/Gate.
it doesn't need another Doepfer synth to run - it can hook into any MIDI or CV/Gate analogue instrument.

The MAQ is clever sequencer - too clever in some ways and has some shortcomings that occasionally make it annoying, but I tend to use
it mostly a MIDI arpeggiator/step seq in its simplest form.

There are also the Doepfer A154/155 modules which combine to allow you to integrate an 8 step 2 channel seq into your A100, which is
specifically designed to be used with the A100, but the MAQ as I said can be used with anything. I currently use my MAQ to (perversely)
drive a Kawai K1R!


rachel
rachelp
Registered User
Registered User
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:39 pm
Location: Western Sydney

Postby innerclock » Fri May 09, 2008 2:39 pm

Just keep your OS lean and make sure the timing isn't compromised by all the fancy features. If it can't keep time properly - it's not worth having as a sequencer...... There are so many out there already that use Micros and poor code that screw with timing - nail that and you'll have a winner..... D.
User avatar
innerclock
Registered User
Registered User
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:26 am
Location: Sydney

Postby Futureman » Fri May 09, 2008 4:09 pm

innerclock wrote:Just keep your OS lean and make sure the timing isn't compromised by all the fancy features. If it can't keep time properly - it's not worth having as a sequencer...... There are so many out there already that use Micros and poor code that screw with timing - nail that and you'll have a winner..... D.


I hear ya... I'm quite the timing nerd, but you sir are the timing king.

How tight it is is Waaaaaay up there on the list.. Sloppy timing sure as hell gets me down.. It's like a good microphone or good speakers etc.... you don't know what it is until you hear a better one..

Ideally it's gonna be as simple as possible.. the touch screen is gonna be there because it's cheaper than buttons + encoders + LCDs.
User avatar
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
 
Posts: 991
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:47 pm
Location: Sydney

Postby Futureman » Fri May 09, 2008 4:13 pm

I'm thinking about assigning a key on the keyboard (user assignable if you wish) to an erase function..

That way, you can bash out your riff, and keep on adding to it.. if you want to erase/wipe a section, hold down that key for a bit.. understand? It's a bit better than going to the unit, and doing it from there.

I already do that on my MAM SQ-16 with an Akai note separator connected to the output of the sequencer.. so if i record a Low C, it won't get played back.. handy me thinks. (It's a monophonic sequencer)
User avatar
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
 
Posts: 991
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:47 pm
Location: Sydney

Postby no-fi » Fri May 09, 2008 4:38 pm

no idea how you'll do a colour touchscreen sequencer for $400, but if you can, then count me in.
:-)

I think I need one of those midibox things you were telling me about the other day, too.
no-fi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
 
Posts: 515
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:21 pm
Location: sydney

Postby NYMo » Sat May 10, 2008 11:45 am

hi there,

Yeah...count me in as well !

Cheers
N
Y
M
O
NYMo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 1023
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 1:54 pm
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland

Postby electrofetish » Fri May 16, 2008 12:40 pm

Futureman wrote:
innerclock wrote:Just keep your OS lean and make sure the timing isn't compromised by all the fancy features. If it can't keep time properly - it's not worth having as a sequencer...... There are so many out there already that use Micros and poor code that screw with timing - nail that and you'll have a winner..... D.


I hear ya... I'm quite the timing nerd, but you sir are the timing king.

How tight it is is Waaaaaay up there on the list.. Sloppy timing sure as hell gets me down.. It's like a good microphone or good speakers etc.... you don't know what it is until you hear a better one..

Ideally it's gonna be as simple as possible.. the touch screen is gonna be there because it's cheaper than buttons + encoders + LCDs.




Is it finished yet?
User avatar
electrofetish
Registered User
Registered User
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:44 pm
Location: Sydney

Postby Futureman » Fri May 16, 2008 1:22 pm

electrofetish wrote:

Is it finished yet?


Yea! Just finished the last batch of 100, but they have all been sold... I'll put you on the next waiting list ok.
User avatar
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
 
Posts: 991
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:47 pm
Location: Sydney

Postby no-fi » Fri May 16, 2008 1:37 pm

awww... ryan didn't get one???

damn. that sucks.
ryan. you've totally got to make sure you get one of the next batch!


I really like it as a sequencer, though I have to say, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by no-fi on Fri May 16, 2008 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no-fi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
 
Posts: 515
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:21 pm
Location: sydney

Postby Futureman » Fri May 16, 2008 2:22 pm

no-fi wrote: Mike - it was kinda unnecessary making that colour screen keep on flashing up a picture of your penis while in pitch slider mode.... surely if you like the idea of men rubbing your penis, you could just go to oxford st, and have it done for real, by people who don't throw up a bit in their own mouths when it happens?


Ok... things got a little uncomfortable on this list...
User avatar
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
 
Posts: 991
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:47 pm
Location: Sydney

Postby electrofetish » Fri May 16, 2008 4:19 pm

Futureman wrote:
no-fi wrote: Mike - it was kinda unnecessary making that colour screen keep on flashing up a picture of your penis while in pitch slider mode.... surely if you like the idea of men rubbing your penis, you could just go to oxford st, and have it done for real, by people who don't throw up a bit in their own mouths when it happens?


Ok... things got a little uncomfortable on this list...


Not sure if no-fi understands that this is a (G rating) forum?
Think of the children, poor little Timmy.
User avatar
electrofetish
Registered User
Registered User
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:44 pm
Location: Sydney

Postby Chinagraf » Fri May 16, 2008 5:30 pm

Timmeh!
User avatar
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:09 am
Location: Melbourne

Postby rick » Fri May 16, 2008 5:43 pm

errm... cut it or lose it
User avatar
rick
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3440
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 8:02 pm
Location: Sydney

Next

Return to Vintage Synth Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


cron