Moog Satellite

Moderators: Thirteen, rick, Mark Bassett

Moog Satellite

Postby Sheer Noise » Mon May 12, 2008 11:05 am

Hi all,

I've found something else cleaning out another section of the garage... must have picked it up at a garage sale as well... Don't really remember buying it, not like my other three "finds"...

On the front it says "Moog Satellite Synth" . On the back it has a model number 5330 and "Thomas Organ Co." branding along with the Moog branding. Any ideas what this is and if it's worth handing over to Steve.... I'll post some pics once I get home and have access to the good camera.

Dave
Sheer Noise
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Futureman » Mon May 12, 2008 1:51 pm

Cool..

I'll take it off ya..

It's the runt of the moog family.. innit?

Slap it up on ebay, some sucker will pay heaps for the "moog" name.

(Does that mean i'm a sucker?)
Regards
Mike
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby rachelp » Tue May 13, 2008 4:53 pm

The Moog satellite is fairly cheesy. It's a lot like the Realistic/Radio Shack Moog mono Synth MG-1 that many people seem to rave about.
Except the Satellite is a bit more lofi.

It may be possible to gut the Thomas and get the Moog bit out, but I don't know why. These Thomas Organ/Synth combos go for between $200-$600 depending on condition.

I personally don't like 'em much, having some slightly better Moog gear, but some people get excited over these. I think it might be fun to
film someone playing it while it is on fire and capture the whole thing for YouTube ;)

rachel

(edit) just to clarify, I would never actually advocate burining a musical instrument!
rachelp

Postby Sheer Noise » Wed May 14, 2008 10:13 am

Classic... it's actually in really bad condition so I'm not going to bother fixing it up... another one for the parts pile I guess! :)

Still trying to work out if it's worth fixing up the 101... maybe some tripped out raver will pay me big bucks for it... doubt it.

Dave
Sheer Noise
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby no-fi » Wed May 14, 2008 10:18 am

heh.

what is it with trashed moog satellites?

I have one in parts only condition too, that looks like somebody used it to skateboard down a flight of stairs on. I bought it years ago when I had no analogue gear, to try and fix up... but it was a right shocker - after a bunch of pain and hassle, it was easier to just buy a working synth....
:-)

though it's probably something I could look at fixing up now.. the repair would include making a new case, and probably throwing out all the preset stuff in favour of more knobs. I think I'll put it at the bottom of my repair list. I did get the service manual at some point.
no-fi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Sheer Noise » Wed May 14, 2008 10:24 am

no-fi, PM me if you're interested in buying another for parts. ;)
Sheer Noise
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby jkhuri44 » Wed May 14, 2008 10:39 am

... maybe some tripped out raver will pay me big bucks for it

As you said Dave, not likely....Raver and Big-Bux dont go in the same sentence :P
jkhuri44
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby Futureman » Wed May 14, 2008 1:00 pm

no-fi wrote:though it's probably something I could look at fixing up now.. the repair would include making a new case, and probably throwing out all the preset stuff in favour of more knobs. I think I'll put it at the bottom of my repair list. I did get the service manual at some point.

Thats what you need Julian! Another project! Shouldn't you be working on the P5 or the JD-800 or the SP or the Expander or the.... LOL.

(Sparks up soldering iron...)

much love.
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby rachelp » Wed May 14, 2008 7:27 pm

Sheer Noise wrote:Classic... it's actually in really bad condition so I'm not going to bother fixing it up... another one for the parts pile I guess! :)

Still trying to work out if it's worth fixing up the 101... maybe some tripped out raver will pay me big bucks for it... doubt it.

Dave

I might be interested in the 101, but they do always seem to go for silly prices. I have an MC-202 that I bought in about 1985 for $80,
as they were a runout sale because no one liked them back then. Now I see the 202 go for around 700-800. It is a good synth, but
not that good. The 101 is a decent instrument in its own right, but likewise, seems like the x0x mystique keeps the prices up. But then
again, I get large offers for my System 100 all the time and I didn't actually pay that much for that ($200!).

rachel
rachelp

Postby no-fi » Wed May 14, 2008 8:51 pm

Futureman wrote:Thats what you need Julian! Another project! Shouldn't you be working on the P5 or the JD-800 or the SP or the Expander or the.... LOL.

pfft! you can give me crap about not finishing some projects when you find a way to make your minimoog's mod section work! you've been at the current stage with your rebuild for what, a whole year now?

The JD800 is done... Do you want to buy it? Xpander is on hold, because I really need to remake the power supply PCB (the original is made of stupid crumbly cheese or something) and the P5 seems to be mostly working... I just keep forgetting to order the parts I need for it. And the SP-12, well there's a whole thread on here about that one.. it'll be going soon enough once I sort out what to do with those PALs. just wait and see!

much love to you, too.
no-fi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Futureman » Wed May 14, 2008 10:29 pm

no-fi wrote:pfft! you can give me crap about not finishing some projects when you find a way to make your minimoog's mod section work! you've been at the current stage with your rebuild for what, a whole year now?

LOL!!!

Hey... that hurt... and for the record it's been more like 9 months...

All I hear from you is excuses excuses... "This is crumbly" this is "Not well designed" bla bla bla... "the ring fell off my pudding can"... "my teeth hurty because of the cold ice-cream"

It's time for some tough love my friend..

I think we need to have an intervention.

(kisses)
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby no-fi » Wed May 14, 2008 10:57 pm

you're just jealous, because I'm going to have a working SP-12!

look, it's OK to just cry sometimes, you know. Go and just cry allllll that jealousy out, till its all gone.. Now go and pat your emulator and tell it that it's still funky, and that you will always love it. even if it wasn't built as an awesome drum machine.
:P
no-fi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Futureman » Thu May 15, 2008 12:18 am

hmmmm.. sounds like the 1st stage - Denial...
..Anger will soon follow.

We need to group together everyone... lets be strong for Him. Julian might say hurtful things soon, but it's only his inner turmoil speaking, not his true self.

We believe in you Julian.. we believe.. . .
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby no-fi » Thu May 15, 2008 1:08 am

....anger??? naaah... I'm too relaxed today to really get angry.

PS, I don't mind if you buy that other moog satellite synth in ths thread. I'm pretty sure mine has everything I actually want, for what I'd do with it if I ever decided I wanted to make it live again, and I know you haven't bought any new gear for at least a week..... And you never know - with a bit of honest work, it could end up being your first fully working moog!!

(reassuring shoulder pat)
no-fi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Futureman » Thu May 15, 2008 1:31 am

aah.. Acceptance.

Your recovery has been swift..

As for the Busted Moog, Nah.. I don't want it.. Anyway, I got 2 working moogs.. (Didn't I mention the mod section is fixed?)

Catch ya soon. we should meet up for a beer with Shaz...

(Sorry for hijacking this thread, I guess I should have appologised a while ago)
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby no-fi » Thu May 15, 2008 10:39 am

you have two?
....what else did you buy??
:-)

yeah - when is that gig you're playing this month?
no-fi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to Vintage Synth Forum