One word that changed my life

Moderators: Thirteen, rick, Mark Bassett

One word that changed my life

Postby harry » Wed May 28, 2008 6:31 pm

Innerclock
Thank you for saying it forum members..... guess it means im not at all crazy - just need an MPC now, or perhaps an ATARI ST...
and p.s - Cubase can go and get....
harry
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Futureman » Wed May 28, 2008 6:52 pm

wow.. you serious? I just sold a whole Atari ST bundle a few weeks ago.. including cubase and all.

I do only use my computer as a glorified multitrack (Protools) and use only hardware sequencers...

I'm interested in how complex your sequencing gets? You could consider an Alesis MMT-8.. they are relatively bullet proof.
(Mine has crashed twice since i had it and lost everything, but you could do a Sysex dump or audio dump every now and again)

http://www.mmt8.com/

If your sequences are getting all fancy and the like, then, yea, maybe a MPC is the go for you.
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: One word that changed my life

Postby beatmad » Wed May 28, 2008 9:49 pm

harry wrote:Innerclock
Thank you for saying it forum members..... guess it means im not at all crazy - just need an MPC now, or perhaps an ATARI ST...
and p.s - Cubase can go and get....

I've never used the Atari ST but it seems to still be the preferred option for many people, especially if you're trying to sync a lot of hardware. The MPC3000 with Rohan Mansell's Vailixi OS is an amazing machine. I love all the sync options. I tried slaving it via SMPTE off the computer which gave me better timing than midi (using innerclock's test a maximum 25 samples at 16/44.1k). I can slave the MC4B off the MPC via the tape sync output, so can get the old and the new working perfectly together. I would love to have a linear sequencer with mod cons that could be master allowing me to map out structures easily, lock all the hardware to it and still retain the accuracy of timing my ear has become accustomed too. But alas, other than the Atari, I don't think it exists. I still find it hard to believe that with all the advances in music technology, a dedicated music computer with Atari/MPC benchmark timing doesn't exist. I always feel like the computer and the hardware are separate things but that they should work seamlessly together. I'm thankful that the likes of Innerclock and Mansell labs are keeping the timing issue on the agenda, especially when most have given up or don't even see it as an issue. I'm hopeful that at some point it will translate to better sync/sequencing options between computers and hardware.
beatmad

Postby harry » Thu May 29, 2008 10:19 pm

hey beatmad,

how does an mpc 2000xl compare?
harry
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby harry » Thu May 29, 2008 10:20 pm

hey beatmad,

what's different about the 3000 in your opinion?
harry
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby beatmad » Fri May 30, 2008 6:53 pm

harry wrote:hey beatmad,

what's different about the 3000 in your opinion?

Firstly, if you record the 3000 into an audio editor and measure the space between clicks at 120bpm it does not budge. About 2 or 3 samples either way is normal at 44.1/16bit. I did some quick tests on a friends xl and it moves around somewhere in the vicinity of 20-60 samples which is still pretty respectable. I believe there are differences in the sound of the converters too. The 3000 seems grittier to my ears, not as NICE if that makes any sense. In many ways they are the same to get around. Another thing I noticed straight away is that with vailixi in the 3000 you can access the 16 levels function for dynamics, pitch etc. while the loop is playing. Maybe the xl has an OS update but the one I used had to be stopped first which was a pain. There are other advantages with Vailixi. All the sample editing and filtering can be done in real time. There are 64 midi channels and you can send midi clock from all 4 midi out ports. It glues everything together. It shouldn't be overlooked that with the 3000 you're still getting OS updates via Rohan Mansell. Being a part of that is a small revolution in itself to me. For more questions you should check out the mpc forums. I believe Rohan is on there a bit.

All technical things aside my final word in layman's terms would be this. When I make a beat in the 3000 I'm grinning within 5 minutes EVERY time. I always feel that the beat is EXACTLY what I want, I never have to question that. Beyond that it's just different flavours, all good ones. I hope that helps.
beatmad

Return to Vintage Synth Forum