Waldorf Blofeld first impressions.

Moderators: Thirteen, rick, Mark Bassett

Waldorf Blofeld first impressions.

Postby Thirteen » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:31 pm

Not vintage of course, but I have a Waldorf Blofeld here that Dave from Innerclock has loaned me, and it is a pretty interesting synth. I put it up against my Waldorf MicroWave 1, and it certainly has the heritage. I currently have the PPG wavetables and presets loaded into the Microwave, so I was alternately playing the two modules to compare them. What I noticed sonically is that the Blofeld is very spacious, with some presets having a huge stereo image, and the arpeggiator ROCKS. It isn't as warm as the MicroWave, presumably as the Micro has analog filters, but for that classic German synth sound the Blofeld is fantastic. There are huge level disparities among the presets, so it can bite you if you aren't careful. It is also very nice physically, big screen and easy to edit. I am going to set it up with my Virus Indigo (turning off the internal FX) and the MicroWave again on the weekend and get a bit deeper into it.
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby rachelp » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:56 pm

Is Blofeld multitimbral? Does it handle big globs of layered patches very well?
The price is good - I like Waldorf products, they're always seemingly nice to work with.

rachel
rachelp

Postby Thirteen » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:40 pm

Don't know, I have just been experimenting with the basic sounds, I haven't really thought about trying layered stuff. I will give it a go...
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Return to Vintage Synth Forum