Is a name change in order?

Moderators: Thirteen, rick, Mark Bassett

Is a name change in order?

Postby Thirteen » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:35 am

Looking at a lot of the threads here it's obvious that a lot of folks are using newer gear, and in particular some of the more boutique interesting stuff like Rachel's Octopus, the Blofeld, DIY sequencers and stuff like that. I called this the "Vintage Synth Forum" to try and keep down the traffic about some of the lamest consumer boxes on the market at the moment, but now I wonder if it would be better to call the forum simply "Synth Forum" or Electronic Music Forum" to make it more accessible to everyone? I don't know if it is even possible to rename a forum once it is in place, I will have to ask Mark, Rick and Ryan if it can be done, and what they think of the idea.

does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
Steve Jones
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby jkhuri44 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:40 am

yeah, im probably partly to blame for what this has become, LOL

i just ask on this part of the forum, coz i assume that ppl with vintage synth gear....are....yep, you guessed it, using gear to write electronic music...

and i suppose the problems that come with that are diff to the 4 problems in a live room, about to bash out a song...

my apologies. :P
Jamil Khuri
Amusement & Audio Engineer
"it's not awesome unless its 240bpm with distorted 909 kicks!"
jkhuri44
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby Thirteen » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:48 am

jkhuri44 wrote:yeah, im probably partly to blame for what this has become, LOL

i just ask on this part of the forum, coz i assume that ppl with vintage synth gear....are....yep, you guessed it, using gear to write electronic music...

and i suppose the problems that come with that are diff to the 4 problems in a live room, about to bash out a song...

my apologies. :P

Nothing to apologise for, nothing wrong with virtual instruments as such, and your posts on Cubase timing are very relevant to most of us. That's why I am wondering if broadening the forum beyond old gear might be a good thing, because even vintage synth users now also use computers and new gear as well, I think that Electrofetish is the only purist that I know when it comes to this stuff, and even he has some new gear sneaking into his room now ;-)
Steve Jones
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby rachelp » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:37 pm

I like the "vintage synth" tag. The name doesn't matter - it's all about the mindset....

What migh be better is to have a "computer recording" forum section instead, for the VI and sample fiends.
These days, it would seem that every hardware synth is "vintage" compared to a computer rig!

rachel
rachelp

Postby Thirteen » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:47 pm

rachelp wrote:I like the "vintage synth" tag. The name doesn't matter - it's all about the mindset....
These days, it would seem that every hardware synth is "vintage" compared to a computer rig!
rachel

Except that expensive computer software becomes "vintage" every time there is a major OS update ;-)
Steve Jones
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby headman » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:21 pm

MIDI is practically vintage these days. 1983 seems such a long time ago. I vote to keep it the "Vintage Synth Forum", it has that certain something.
headman

Return to Vintage Synth Forum