buying vintage synffs from US Ebay

Moderators: Thirteen, rick, Mark Bassett

buying vintage synffs from US Ebay

Postby jkhuri44 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:27 pm

Hey guys,

i know a few of you have some old korg and roland gems lying around...

just wondering if you guys have had success buying some bargains on US ebay?!? lots of bargains on juno's, korgs, and the like ...dunno why, but ppl's is getting rid of this shits!!!

Anyone have any advice or stories to share regarding this would be greatly appreciated....I is planning on heading into some scary territory!!!
Jamil Khuri
Amusement & Audio Engineer
"it's not awesome unless its 240bpm with distorted 909 kicks!"
jkhuri44
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby Thirteen » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:07 pm

Which machines are you looking for?
Steve Jones
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby rachelp » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:30 pm

I bought several choice items on ebay from OS. Not only music gear, but a Lalique Crystal cat, which was as expensive and as fragile as any bit of
audio gear! I checked out the seller well beforehand and they were easy to deal with. The International transaction I did was
via a Bank Draft, which might also be known as an Internal Money Order. This goes by post and takes about 5 days (3 in a rush)
and costs about $25-$30 and takes about 15 minutes at a Commonwealth bank. So you get the draft drawn on an Australian bank in US Dollars.

Bear in mind the Exchange rate.

Next way is to wire the money using a Telegraphic Transfer or "swift". In this case you need the seller's full name and address postal
details, their bank name and branch address, bank acct number and what is known as a 'routing number' or swift code. Adding
a reference code or string might cost extra. This is more expensive but goes through in 48 hours.

Watch out f you deal with Western Union. I spent $35 on a wire and it went to the seller's acct and they charged him USD $50 to process
his deposit and that was on an USD $500 purchase (Waldorf Pulse).

Now you can avoid a lot of unneccessary futzing about with Fedex and friends, unless you are deleriously paranoid.
Depending on the size of the gear, US Post is brilliant and it will not incur a customs impost unless you are unlucky.
I got my Dimension-D from the UK and it did not get held up, nor did the Pulse. When I imported the Piano Bass, it
came via USPS and cost about USD 80 to ship. My Toft mixer came via the very expensive BAX and it also went through customs
as well. So although I got the mixer cheaply on the Pilot program, I did get slugged for shipping and customs duty.

My advice is to get the gear as well packed as possible and to allow for shipping and customs when you cost out what you
are trying to get over here. A lot better luck with small items that can get through the post. If you are importing a MemoryMoog,
I would of course pay a premium to get it shipped point to point even at a greater cost.

rachel
rachelp

Re: buying vintage synffs from US Ebay

Postby Futureman » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:14 am

jkhuri44 wrote:just wondering if you guys have had success buying some bargains on US ebay?!? lots of bargains on juno's, korgs, and the like ...

I actually find that jap stuff is more common & cheaper over here... korg / roland / yamaha etc...

It's the American stuff like Moog / Arp / Sequential that is cheaper over there... thats my experience anyway.

There is a SCI Pro 1 on ebay australia right now.. that'll go for way more than it would in the US.

Make sure you pay with paypal, that way you are covered more than with a money order (Which is not supported by ebay)

my 2cents anyway.

Regards
Mike
Mike de Vrees

Purveyor of old stuff
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Thirteen » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:50 am

Australia was flooded with Roland gear in the 80's, Europe and the US got a lot less per capita, that's why Roland gear fetches so much in Europe. I have heard that NZ got lots if Korg gear. Strangely enough Bob Moog's wife told a friend of mine once that they were surprised because a large number of Moogs came to Australia back then too. I agree with Mike, if you want Japanese synths then Australia or Japan is a good place to look.
Steve Jones
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby jkhuri44 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:06 pm

thirteen,

gradually, i'd like...an Alpha Juno1, Korg Polysix, Waldorf Pulse, Ensoniq ESQ1, Roland Juno 60 or 106,
Vermona DRM1 Mk3...and a 909...an Oberheim Matrix 6 or 12 would be nift as well.....eventually, obviously not all at once, hahaha

but yeah, just was wondering what ur opinions were, and also what the best way to go about purchases and stuff, vintage keyboards are frail?? i think....and a bit bigger than microphones and such, hence my questions, thanks for your response rachel, lots of stuff to keep in mind!

obviously iinto stuff like Moog, ad Seq Circuits, but not to start with :P
Jamil Khuri
jkhuri44
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby rachelp » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:17 pm

jkhuri44 wrote:thirteen,

gradually, i'd like...an Alpha Juno1, Korg Polysix, Waldorf Pulse, Ensoniq ESQ1, Roland Juno 60 or 106,
Vermona DRM1 Mk3...and a 909...an Oberheim Matrix 6 or 12 would be nift as well.....eventually, obviously not all at once, hahaha

but yeah, just was wondering what ur opinions were, and also what the best way to go about purchases and stuff, vintage keyboards are frail?? i think....and a bit bigger than microphones and such, hence my questions, thanks for your response rachel, lots of stuff to keep in mind!

There's an Alpha Juno on ebat right now. There's an ESQ-1 as well (I think).
106 comes up all the time. Awave has a matrix 12 for $6000 (ebay) if you want it.

There is also a 909 on ebay now. USually there's not much requirement to go OS except for the rare stuff, I am finding. What you need is stupid people like me, who
like to track this stuff down, to tell you where it is. But I am not as well connected as Steve is!

rachel
rachelp

Postby jkhuri44 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:29 pm

hahaha, im waiting till a bit more cashola comes in before i make any self indulgient purchases..:P

i've seen all the one's u've listed, and dribbled, and bit my tongue as well

LOL

as for the oberheims, i've seen em a bit cheaper here and there, I kno a guy in Canada that seems to find shit at ridiculous prices too!
Jamil Khuri
jkhuri44
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby Thirteen » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:39 pm

jkhuri44 wrote:thirteen,

Have yo looked at the Waldorf Blofeld? If you want all those Germanic PPGish sounds it is a great little desktop unit for under a grand new.

I love Juno 106's, I often MIDI mine to a Waldorf Microwave 1 with the PPG wavetables loaded in, and it sounds like a synthesizer martini on a hot day.

Moog little Phatty's are groovy, the only troubling thing is some stepping and digital noise on high pitch patches.

I have seen the Mopho analog monophonic for sale at the moment for $550.00 new in Sydney.

Just a few new machines to consider....
Steve Jones
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby jkhuri44 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:43 pm

Waldorf Blofeld?

i checked out some vidz on utube, not sure it had a sound that did anything for me...then again the guy filming the example could possibly have been a douche...not sure though....

sounded a touch thin (on youtube), but then again, phat stuff like the Junos....sounds thick, even on youtube...

im keen on the Waldorf Pulse...as i was alerted by a peer that that thing does some serious sub bass damage...and I is all about sub bass...and lots of it....around 20Hz :P

i must be a mastering engineer's worst nightmare...!
Jamil Khuri
jkhuri44
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby heathen » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:55 pm

What about an Alesis Andromeda they were really meant to be the hottest thing a few years back.
Heath Smith
heathen
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby rachelp » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:59 pm

Pulse is unreal. It's practically a MiniMoog. There are very few 3 oscillator analogues and the Pulse is one.
It has a huge sound and excellent MIDI support. it can do sub bass no worries. It's a huge synth.

rachel
rachelp

Postby heathen » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:02 pm

I don't know anything about analog synths but a mate of mine who knows only marginally more has about 7 or 8 lying around, I'll have to ask him what they are, I don't think he uses them, he was just collecting them back in the late 90's, half I think were free.

Anyway they are probably sitting next to his 30 or 40 barbie dolls and sitting under about 20 cigar smoking gorilla stuffed toys up in the roof where he hides from his missus.

Could be a small fortune there just collecting dust, in synths I mean, the other stuff don't even ask.
Heath Smith
heathen
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Thirteen » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:04 pm

heathen wrote:I don't know anything about analog synths but a mate of mine who knows only marginally more has about 7 or 8 lying around, I'll have to ask him what they are, I don't think he uses them, he was just collecting them back in the late 90's, half I think were free.

Anyway they are probably sitting next to his 30 or 40 barbie dolls and sitting under about 20 cigar smoking gorilla stuffed toys up in the roof where he hides from his missus.

Could be a small fortune there just collecting dust, in synths I mean, the other stuff don't even ask.

We must hear more about this. We are waiting.
Steve Jones
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby rachelp » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:12 pm

Thirteen wrote:
heathen wrote:I don't know anything about analog synths but a mate of mine who knows only marginally more has about 7 or 8 lying around, I'll have to ask him what they are, I don't think he uses them, he was just collecting them back in the late 90's, half I think were free.

With bated breath....

rachel
rachelp

Postby heathen » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:13 pm

Thirteen wrote:

What the syths or the other stuff?

Well my mate is sort of like a Bower Bird though with a big bushy black beard who frequents Vinnies. Actually I think his missus made him shave the beard off, with his shaved head and beard he looked like...............uh we won't go there.

He's a muso but collects rediculous stuff, well it is to me, but not to him.

The synths I'll need to get him to write down names and model numbers, just out of interest.

Or maybe you're interested in stogie chompin gorilla? I'm sure his wife would be happy for someone to take a few off his hands. :)
Heath Smith
heathen
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby heathen » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:19 pm

Yeah actually I can remember playing with a few of these things (the synths heh) but had no idea what I was doing with them, all sorts of filters oscillators, half the sounds I ended up with were either out of my hearing range or just weird noise, anyway I'm sure you guys would know what to do with them.

I'll find out what they are and report back, may take a little while (week or 2) as I'm not allowed to call or visit as I'm such a bad influence, ummmmm yeah.
Heath Smith
heathen
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby heathen » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:23 pm

Oh yeah one more thing, Jamil IS a serious bass fiend of the worst possible kind. :)
Heath Smith
heathen
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby NYMo » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:25 pm

Hi there,

Jamil (you GS) ...+1 on the Pulse and if you can get the Pulse + ...even better !
(I'll stick with my Lunar Walnut Voyager;-)

Cheers
N
YM
O
John NYMo Nyman

Not too old to Rock n Roll...not too young to die !
NYMo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby no-fi » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:06 pm

Germany was always good to me for waldorf gear... I bought a pulse from there, and my microwave.

I don't rate the pulse very much. it's OK, but very "raaaa raaa raaaa" sounding, if that makes any sense. I didn't miss my pulse plus at all when I sold it. Put it alongside an SH-2 (which used to be cheaper!) and the SH2 stomps all over it. Even the 101 with just a single osc is light years ahead, IMO.

That said.... If anyone here is still interested in buying a pulse, my bandmate ed has one in storage that I doubt has even seen light for 3 years. Apart from that one time we were going through the old flightcase holding his mixer up maybe 6 months ago, and found it neatly racked in there.
:-)
My name is Julian Higginson and I approve of this message.
no-fi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Futureman » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:20 pm

no-fi wrote:"raaaa raaa raaaa"

Hey! I know that song... wasn't that a mid 90's dance track?

I'll sell you (Sydney based) my Novation K station for $350.. although it's not analogue..

I was going to list it soon for $400 start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHD06z0SBtM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSmDGT7-1zs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AokbvuYFzWU
Mike de Vrees

Purveyor of old stuff
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Thirteen » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:58 pm

heathen wrote:
Thirteen wrote:

No. The Barbie Dolls.
Steve Jones
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby seanolyte » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:10 pm

Looking at some of the eBay prices for vintage synthesizers is now frankly depressing.

Compared to hmm-- the $50 Jupiter 8 in a second hand shop a couple of decades ago which nobody wanted because new digital was all the rage.

Someone build me a time-machine, please?
seanolyte

GS?

Postby jkhuri44 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:30 pm

nymo,

im the opposite of a gearslut...more like a gear virgin...

im sick and tired of sequencing with VSTs.....filters make shitty clicks, the VST's are too small to see what the knobs are supposed to do.....i JUST got prescribed glasses, making reading small shit even worse....and obviously, the analog BS sounds really friggin good, hahahaha

that said, i would LIKE to be a GS :P
Jamil Khuri
jkhuri44
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby jkhuri44 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:08 pm

heath,

i checked out the Andromeda a while back, it looks beastly, i thinks they cost a pretty penny :)

and by the looks of things, has some cool new functions and sounds, which is nice!
Jamil Khuri
jkhuri44
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby heathen » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:10 pm

Thirteen wrote:
heathen wrote:
Thirteen wrote:

No. The Barbie Dolls.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm come to think of it I never really asked, probably better that way. :) Most of the stuff he does I don't ask about. Great bloke, odd interests.
Heath Smith
heathen
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to Vintage Synth Forum