Fix 106

Moderators: Thirteen, rick, Mark Bassett

Postby tweakeasy » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:59 pm

Jason Dirckze wrote:I'm traveling too much for work. We're driving to Amsterdam tomorrow to film in a brothel.

Sounds classy. Surely you'd rather be home playing synths?

:)
Michael Callanan

[insert witty slogan here]
tweakeasy

Postby Futureman » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:43 pm

beatmad wrote:I'd like to hear the arpeggiator on the 60, I've heard the Jupiter 4 and that's awesome, so snappy. I use the arpeggiator on my monomachine to trigger the 106 which works alright. Definitely not as snappy as the Jupiter but a very versatile arpeggiator. On Vintage Synth Explorer it says the 60 uses a special sequencer called a JSQ-60. I'd imagine these are pretty rare. Anyone got any examples?

JSQ-60's are pretty average, and pretty common.. If you want one, I know of about 2 not being used. (They can't slave to anything.. only master)

MSQ-700's are way cooler sequencers for DCB stuff (J60 / some JP8's) and even MIDI..

The J60's arp has up/down/up&down and also 1,2 or 3 octave range.. loads of fun... and yes, very snappy.
The Jup4's is a bit weirder in that the range is always the whole keyboard.. but you do get a random mode AND you can have portamento on the synth, which is pretty magical.

For the coolest arpeggiator in the world (IMHO) check out the midibox sequencer.. DIY, but damn damn cool.. the arpeggiator is a cracker.. insane possibilities... and you can expand if you want.. Mine have 8 trigger outs, 2 dedicated midi in's, 4 dedicated midi outs for all those omni synths.
I've made 2 SEQ's, and helped 2 friends make theirs..
What I like about the midibox stuff is if you have a good idea, it'll get implemented.. so it keeps on growing.

Mike de Vrees

Purveyor of old stuff
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby beatmad » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:01 pm

Futureman wrote:
JSQ-60's are pretty average, and pretty common.. If you want one, I know of about 2 not being used. (They can't slave to anything.. only master)

Hmmm I think I'd need a Juno 60 or it would be pretty useless. Yeah I noticed it only works as master which sucks.

MSQ-700's are way cooler sequencers for DCB stuff (J60 / some JP8's) and even MIDI..

I've seen a couple of those go on Ebay and wondered what they were like. They look pretty cool :)

The J60's arp has up/down/up&down and also 1,2 or 3 octave range.. loads of fun... and yes, very snappy.
The Jup4's is a bit weirder in that the range is always the whole keyboard.. but you do get a random mode AND you can have portamento on the synth, which is pretty magical.

I have a Jupiter 4 a friend lent me and I think the random element is what I love about it. It just seems to make it's own music

For the coolest arpeggiator in the world (IMHO) check out the midibox sequencer.. DIY, but damn damn cool.. the arpeggiator is a cracker.. insane possibilities... and you can expand if you want.. Mine have 8 trigger outs, 2 dedicated midi in's, 4 dedicated midi outs for all those omni synths.
I've made 2 SEQ's, and helped 2 friends make theirs..
What I like about the midibox stuff is if you have a good idea, it'll get implemented.. so it keeps on growing.

I'd like to check that sequencer out. It seems well spec'd.
Peregrin C
beatmad

Previous

Return to Vintage Synth Forum