Another Gumtree Scam?

Moderators: Thirteen, rick, Mark Bassett

Another Gumtree Scam?

Postby Hybrid88 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:54 pm

http://melbourne.gumtree.com.au/c-Stuff-for-Sale-musical-instruments-Roland-Jupiter-8-JP8-Analog-Synthesizer-W0QQAdIdZ154078756


Well, interesting, it could be genuine, but then realistically how likely is that? Anyone know?
Richard Antel

Fine connoisseur of all things synth.
User avatar
Hybrid88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:51 pm
Location: Launceston, Tasmania.

Postby Futureman » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:41 pm

Scam!

Check out this reply

Quote

I'm really glad you're interested in this item. It used to belong to my husband the judge gave it to me after the divorce and I have no use for it. I just want to get rid of it as soon as possible because the money and time he spent on it was one of the main reasons for our divorce.I'm not really good at this stuff... all I know is it's working perfectly and has never had any problems.After the divorce I moved back to my mother's in London along with all my belongings ... this blasted thing included. I'll ship it using an international service at no charge for you. The listed price is the real price. I'll even send the shipping receipt to my husband so that he sees what happened to his beloved stuff.Because I can't explain much about the item technical stuff I'll offer a 10 day return option.
If you're serious about buying the item, email me back so that I can explain how this will work.
Mike de Vrees

Purveyor of old stuff
User avatar
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
 
Posts: 991
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:47 pm
Location: Sydney

Postby Hybrid88 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:44 pm

Futureman wrote:Scam!

Check out this reply

Quote

I'm really glad you're interested in this item. It used to belong to my husband the judge gave it to me after the divorce and I have no use for it. I just want to get rid of it as soon as possible because the money and time he spent on it was one of the main reasons for our divorce.I'm not really good at this stuff... all I know is it's working perfectly and has never had any problems.After the divorce I moved back to my mother's in London along with all my belongings ... this blasted thing included. I'll ship it using an international service at no charge for you. The listed price is the real price. I'll even send the shipping receipt to my husband so that he sees what happened to his beloved stuff.Because I can't explain much about the item technical stuff I'll offer a 10 day return option.
If you're serious about buying the item, email me back so that I can explain how this will work.

So, what's your point? I still don't see that as proof of legitimacy of the sale, lets just say that when dealing with a synth of this caliber I treat such ads with a very healthy degree of scepticism. I've also sent a reply, we'll see what they say...

You thinking of buying?
Richard Antel

Fine connoisseur of all things synth.
User avatar
Hybrid88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:51 pm
Location: Launceston, Tasmania.

Postby Hybrid88 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:07 pm

Ha, well this is interesting. I just sent a reply to the ad and got a reply in literally minutes, verbatim what you got Futureman.

Now what I will say is this, this e-mail is exactly what a person interested in this synth wants to hear, classic scam psychology, tell 'em what they want to hear. Also if you look into it deeper, you get key points/phrases that are "playing into your hands" so to speak. Examples; It's a woman selling, now not to be prejudiced but how many women do you know that truly know the value of a JP8? My point being a potential buyer will think they can get it cheap. They have added a bit of a back story to make you believe it's real, then phrases like "all I know is it's working perfectly" (another sweetener, and if she knows nothing about it how does she know it works 100%?!), "I just want to get rid of it as soon as possible" / "this blasted thing" (again makes you believe she wants to get rid of it at a cheap price, and the inclusion of a sense of urgency would give a big reason for a potential buyer to want to act quick), "I'll ship it using an international service at no charge for you" (show me any Jupiter-8 seller who actually suggests themselves international shipping, and free?! no way), "The listed price is the real price" (I didn't even ask about this?), "I'll offer a 10 day return option" (oh how convenient, ha ha...) and finally, "If you're serious about buying the item, email me back so that I can explain how this will work" - classic scam talk, probably involves sending money via some dodgy electronic payment method or some shit, just like the last lot of scammers on Gumtree.


Well anyway, believe what you want, I think I'll keep my cash right where it is though - I'm the first person who wishes deals like this still existed but...
Last edited by Hybrid88 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Richard Antel

Fine connoisseur of all things synth.
User avatar
Hybrid88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:51 pm
Location: Launceston, Tasmania.

Postby Futureman » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:14 pm

Here's Pt 2

"The shipping company we will use is called TNT and is a well known shipping company here in europe.Let me explain how the transaction will go step by step: first I go to TNT with the package and start the delivery procedure, after I give them the package for you, TNT will send you a notification to let you know the process has been initiated,and give you instructions on how to complete the payment to their company's payment agent. After they secure the money they will release the package to be delivered to your address and keep the payment until you receive and check and test it.If all is ok with the item you need to contact TNT to give them the OK to pay me, if not, an agent will come to your house to refund your money and get the package to send it back to me.If everything is clear send me your name and address and I will go to the nearest TNT office and start the delivery procedure.Please let me know soon because I have alot of offers for this item and I would like to get rid of it as soon as possible."




Lol. I'll see how far I can take this..
Would be great to get a Jup8 for 1k. I gots a feeling it aint happening today tho.
Mike de Vrees

Purveyor of old stuff
User avatar
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
 
Posts: 991
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:47 pm
Location: Sydney

Postby Hybrid88 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:24 pm

Futureman wrote:Here's Pt 2

"The shipping company we will use is called TNT and is a well known shipping company here in europe.Let me explain how the transaction will go step by step: first I go to TNT with the package and start the delivery procedure, after I give them the package for you, TNT will send you a notification to let you know the process has been initiated,and give you instructions on how to complete the payment to their company's payment agent. After they secure the money they will release the package to be delivered to your address and keep the payment until you receive and check and test it.If all is ok with the item you need to contact TNT to give them the OK to pay me, if not, an agent will come to your house to refund your money and get the package to send it back to me.If everything is clear send me your name and address and I will go to the nearest TNT office and start the delivery procedure.Please let me know soon because I have alot of offers for this item and I would like to get rid of it as soon as possible."

"...here in europe" err, are we in Europe now?!

This is probably some stupid guy on a computer on the other side of the world somewhere scamming Europeans, Aussies, Americans etc, wouldn't be surprised in the slightest.

Futureman wrote:Lol. I'll see how far I can take this..

Would be great to get a Jup8 for 1k. I gots a feeling it aint happening today tho.

Ha ;) Yep, I've got to agree with you there.
Richard Antel

Fine connoisseur of all things synth.
User avatar
Hybrid88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:51 pm
Location: Launceston, Tasmania.

Postby Hybrid88 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:39 am

Just got this email

"Thanks for your interest in "Roland Jupiter 8 JP8 Analog Synthesizer" but unfortunately this Ad has been deleted. Visit Gumtree again to find more ads that match what you're looking for.
Good luck and thanks for using Gumtree."

Oh dear ;)
Richard Antel

Fine connoisseur of all things synth.
User avatar
Hybrid88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:51 pm
Location: Launceston, Tasmania.

Postby Jason Dirckze » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:33 pm

Simple rule, if it looks too good to be true, it most definitely is...
Jason Dirckze
Registered User
Registered User
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 10:23 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Postby Futureman » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:31 pm

Jason Dirckze wrote:Simple rule, if it looks too good to be true, it most definitely is...


Mostly, but not always.

I once picked up an Arp odyssey for free.. a 101 for $200, a Yamaha CS-5 for $50 , a Korg micropreset for $5!, a SH-1000 for $50 and a friend picked up a TB-303 for $50! from the local papers, and that was 3 years ago...

I was fine answering to that ad, who knows.. some pleb sells a JP8 for $1k, i'm sure that happens. it was the reply that set off the alarm bells.

Regards
Mike
Mike de Vrees

Purveyor of old stuff
User avatar
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
 
Posts: 991
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:47 pm
Location: Sydney

Postby Starxi » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:20 pm

The gumtree scams have been popping up for a long time.
They try their luck with other vintage studio gear like lexicon 480L, U47 mics etc.
Any I've answered are always a similar story.. always supposedly in London.. I assume its the same people responsible.
I've found if you copy the description and paste it into google search you often find the same ad plastered over sale sights in other countries and even the original ebay ad.

Best bargain I ever got was a Juno-60 for $150.
The Taurus I for $800 wasnt bad either..
Matt Mayhm.
Starxi
Registered User
Registered User
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:50 pm

Postby NYMo » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:32 pm

Hi there,

Best thing I ever got was a red sh 101 in a cash shop in Maroochydore for $70 !

cheers

N
ymo















y
John NYMo Nyman

Not too old to Rock n Roll...not too young to die !
NYMo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 1023
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 1:54 pm
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland

Postby rachelp » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:05 pm

I got my System 100 out of the trading post for $200 many years ago......


rachel
rachelp
Registered User
Registered User
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:39 pm
Location: Western Sydney

Postby Futureman » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:06 pm

rachelp wrote:I got my System 100 out of the trading post for $200 many years ago......


I'll give you $400 for it! think of that.. doubled your investment! lol
Mike de Vrees

Purveyor of old stuff
User avatar
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
 
Posts: 991
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:47 pm
Location: Sydney

Postby Hybrid88 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:01 pm

Ahh, damn these deals are insane, please no more people - I can't believe these kind of deals still happen in Aus. About the best I've ever done is get an Arp Odyssey Mk1 for $789 Aus and I thought that was pretty good for these times, but really everything else I've paid top dollar for, sometimes more, 'bout due for a proper bargain I think...
Richard Antel

Fine connoisseur of all things synth.
User avatar
Hybrid88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:51 pm
Location: Launceston, Tasmania.

Postby harry » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:17 pm

why oh why am i never around when there are Arp's going cheap......

i need an Oddssey!!!!!!!! everything will be okay when i get an Oddssey..... that murky, reedy bass sound... like on all my favorite disco records.....

just a thought - there are so many of you on this forum with nice synthsesizers - what kinds of things are you making with them?? would like to hear some stuff....!


anyway - enjoy your lovely Arp's fellow turtlerockers....

harry arvanitis
harry
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 8:51 pm

Postby rachelp » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:49 pm

I nearly sold it all in 2001, when I first tried a plug. But something made me stop. I think what Steve said is right, about having a potential room full of vintage boat anchors - the System 100 takes up about 20% of my little bedroom studio. It sits on a table on its own and could be considered to be a kind of white elephant,
given the technological status of it, such as it is. But I think of it as a kind of unique musical instrument and so it stays - because I kind of like it!

Oh, and it does give the cat somewhere to sleep - she has always found a spot underneath the table....

rachel
rachelp
Registered User
Registered User
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:39 pm
Location: Western Sydney

Postby Hybrid88 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:15 am

harry wrote:why oh why am i never around when there are Arp's going cheap......

i need an Oddssey!!!!!!!! everything will be okay when i get an Oddssey..... that murky, reedy bass sound... like on all my favorite disco records.....

just a thought - there are so many of you on this forum with nice synthsesizers - what kinds of things are you making with them?? would like to hear some stuff....!


anyway - enjoy your lovely Arp's fellow turtlerockers....

harry arvanitis

Well, consider that the deal actually took me close to 12 months of organising with the seller, and it needs a total overhaul, likely costing close to 1k to get it working perfectly I guess, so really all up it's probably not such a great deal. But still definately worth it, lots of interface mods on it too. As it is now though it barely works at all, so not so easy to make music with it at this point ;)


rachelp wrote:I nearly sold it all in 2001, when I first tried a plug. But something made me stop. I think what Steve said is right, about having a potential room full of vintage boat anchors - the System 100 takes up about 20% of my little bedroom studio. It sits on a table on its own and could be considered to be a kind of white elephant,
given the technological status of it, such as it is. But I think of it as a kind of unique musical instrument and so it stays - because I kind of like it!

Oh, and it does give the cat somewhere to sleep - she has always found a spot underneath the table....

rachel

System-100 is plainly awesome, I've been looking for a Model 103 Mixer for more than a year now with little luck - those little mixers are hopelessly rare.
Richard Antel

Fine connoisseur of all things synth.
User avatar
Hybrid88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:51 pm
Location: Launceston, Tasmania.

Postby rachelp » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:20 am

Hybrid88 wrote:System-100 is plainly awesome, I've been looking for a Model 103 Mixer for more than a year now with little luck - those little mixers are hopelessly rare.
And they are surprisingly good - not cheap sounding and tinny like you'd expect. The spring reverb and effects loop are just nifty!
I sort of equate (and some people will kill me for this) the (complete) System 100 with the ARP 2600. There's a sort of similar feel to them, but I prefer the Roland.


rachel
rachelp
Registered User
Registered User
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:39 pm
Location: Western Sydney

Postby Hybrid88 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:25 am

rachelp wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:System-100 is plainly awesome, I've been looking for a Model 103 Mixer for more than a year now with little luck - those little mixers are hopelessly rare.
And they are surprisingly good - not cheap sounding and tinny like you'd expect. The spring reverb and effects loop are just nifty!
I sort of equate (and some people will kill me for this) the (complete) System 100 with the ARP 2600. There's a sort of similar feel to them, but I prefer the Roland.


rachel

Yeah, I agree with you there, similar smooth classic analog sound character going on with both the 2600 and Sys100 - the whole discrete factor really does make a difference, the System-100 has a great sound, very different to a chip based SH-101 for example.
Richard Antel

Fine connoisseur of all things synth.
User avatar
Hybrid88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:51 pm
Location: Launceston, Tasmania.

Postby Jason Dirckze » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:51 am

harry wrote:just a thought - there are so many of you on this forum with nice synthsesizers - what kinds of things are you making with them?? would like to hear some stuff....!

Would be a good thread!

I'm working on a remix at the moment, still in the arrangement phase, and no vintage analogue in there yet. I seem to always reach for my Access Virus for synth duties these days
Jason Dirckze
Registered User
Registered User
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 10:23 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Postby NYMo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:03 am

Hi there,

What about the ones that got away ?

I nearly had a EMS Synthi 100 for $3k...and I've got a photo of me, with it, to prove it !
Thats one loss I really regret :(

Cheers
N
Y
M
O
John NYMo Nyman

Not too old to Rock n Roll...not too young to die !
NYMo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 1023
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 1:54 pm
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland

Postby Hybrid88 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:42 pm

NYMo wrote:Hi there,

What about the ones that got away ?

I nearly had a EMS Synthi 100 for $3k...and I've got a photo of me, with it, to prove it !
Thats one loss I really regret :(

Cheers
N
Y
M
O

Lets see the pic of the lovely Docter Who machine, not that I don't believe you - just like to see it.
Richard Antel

Fine connoisseur of all things synth.
User avatar
Hybrid88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:51 pm
Location: Launceston, Tasmania.

Postby NYMo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:15 pm

Hi there,

Its not in electronic form yet...but I will do it asap.
(which in my life means, within a couple of weeks !)

The only piece of it I ended up with was the manual... and that was 20 inches wide !

Cheers
N
Y
M
O
John NYMo Nyman

Not too old to Rock n Roll...not too young to die !
NYMo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 1023
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 1:54 pm
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland

Postby Hybrid88 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:43 pm

NYMo wrote:Hi there,

Its not in electronic form yet...but I will do it asap.
(which in my life means, within a couple of weeks !)

The only piece of it I ended up with was the manual... and that was 20 inches wide !

Cheers
N
Y
M
O

Even the manual would be worth a fair bit these days, would be insane if you had the synth though.
Richard Antel

Fine connoisseur of all things synth.
User avatar
Hybrid88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:51 pm
Location: Launceston, Tasmania.

Postby a.d.a.m. baby » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:39 am

rachelp wrote:I nearly sold it all in 2001, when I first tried a plug. But something made me stop.


Ha ha, thats about when people started telling me "time to get rid of all that old crap (JP8, SH-2, etc) before its worth nothing!"...


NYMo wrote:I nearly had a EMS Synthi 100 for $3k...and I've got a photo of me, with it, to prove it !
Thats one loss I really regret :(


Hi NYMo, I think Andy Bagley was drooling over that one too?
User avatar
a.d.a.m. baby
Registered User
Registered User
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:49 pm
Location: Gold Coast

Postby NYMo » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:20 pm

Hi there,

Adam...anyone would drool over that !

Andy and I worked together in '94 ( he makes great electro too !)

Cheers
N
Y
M
O
John NYMo Nyman

Not too old to Rock n Roll...not too young to die !
NYMo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 1023
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 1:54 pm
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland

Postby Starxi » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:47 pm

Was the Synthi 100 in Australia?
Matt Mayhm.
Starxi
Registered User
Registered User
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:50 pm

Postby NYMo » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:39 pm

Hi there,,

Starxi...it was in Brisbane in 94.

I understand that it was sold to the US for a LOT of money !
(without manual ;-)

Cheers
N
Y
M
O
John NYMo Nyman

Not too old to Rock n Roll...not too young to die !
NYMo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 1023
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 1:54 pm
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland

Postby Hybrid88 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:48 am

NYMo wrote:Hi there,,

Starxi...it was in Brisbane in 94.

I understand that it was sold to the US for a LOT of money !
(without manual ;-)

Cheers
N
Y
M
O

Probably the one Jack Dangers got, have a look at this -

http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/synthi.php#synthi100


What I can never understand about the EMS synths is, is it even possible to get a melody out of them? - seems a hell of a lot to pay for what is essentially just an FX noise maker nice though they are.
Richard Antel

Fine connoisseur of all things synth.
User avatar
Hybrid88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:51 pm
Location: Launceston, Tasmania.

Postby Starxi » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:17 am

What I can never understand about the EMS synths is, is it even possible to get a melody out of them? - seems a hell of a lot to pay for what is essentially just an FX noise maker nice though they are.


Yes you can, but its tricky getting them to scale correctly with standard CV/Gate converters.
They run on 0.32v/oct. The internal oscillator boards need calibrating to scale the oscillators relative to each other too.
One of these will help.. http://www.synthi.co.uk/synthi_Units.htm
You can get the DK1 or DK2 keyboard too..
Matt Mayhm.
Starxi
Registered User
Registered User
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:50 pm

Next

Return to Vintage Synth Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


cron