Filter - plugin?

Moderators: Thirteen, rick, Mark Bassett

Filter - plugin?

Postby Chinagraf » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:57 pm

Anyone know of any filter plugins that actuslly sound good? None of the ones I've tried sound as good as the ones in my old synths. I have a Frostwave for mono stuff, but I need something stereo, preferably automatable.
Anyone having any joy or should I hunt down an Akai one?
Thanking youse.
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Filter - plugin?

Postby Futureman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:11 pm

I recon the Frostwave one is pretty bitchin.. Even better the the MS-20 it's based on!

It's set the bar quiet high IMO.

If you are comparing a plugin to that, you might be looking for a while.
Mike de Vrees

Purveyor of old stuff
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chinagraf » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:30 pm

Yeah Mike, don't I know it. Frostwave is no go for filtering stereo sources though. Unless you want the left and right frequency un-synced (is that a word?)
What about Sherman - stereo one of those is a bit of coin though I think. The Akai can take it's clock from midi I think? MAybe ebaying I go.
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby lonearranger » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:41 pm

The MS20 in the korg analog collection is available as an audio plugin as well as vsti. Automation should work as per normal. See if korg still have demo available.

Cant recall if any of the NI synths can be used as plug in filters - but certainly you could use any of the filters in REAKTOR as audio plugs.

Cheers
Michael Luchich
Alternation.com.au
Walcha NSW
lonearranger

Postby Sammas » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:54 pm

I really like the soundtoys filterfreak and the Sonalksis TBK-1. Perhaps the TBK-1 a little more as there really isn't much too it (simplicity is a beautiful thing sometimes).

You can demo both, but soundtoys will need an ilok and account to do so.
Sammas

Postby Futureman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:28 pm

The Akai one is a bit sterile in my opinion. Like it's incredibly well built, got a nice pro feel, and great MIDI specs. But not earth shattering sound.

The MAM warp9 is mono, but great MIDI specs.. (Maybe a bit of a head F to use some options) and based on the WASP synth, so sounds like nothing else. 12dB/octave.. no self oscillation.. bit it's High pass is to die for.

Ask NoFi (Julian) about the Sherman, I think he picked one up recently.

The Electrix Factory ones... ughh.. avoid.

(I do realise that you want a plug-in, but Just thought I'd mention all the hardware ones I've used)

What about a MoogerFooger pedal. sure, it's mono and only LowPass but can be bought from the US for about $320AU delivered.
Mike de Vrees

Purveyor of old stuff
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby no-fi » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:49 pm

filterbank is great! it's a really crazy thing. very unpredictable. been using synths for years, and I don't understand some of the things this unit does sometimes. but while it has 2 separate filters in it, it's not stereo.. and I'm sure the double version you can buy is not at all stereo linked with its controls.

I don't think the electrix filter factory is that horrible. does a certain thing, and works pretty well. main issue is in stereo mode it's only a 2 pole filter. this might not do what you want.

if you want to go up a bit in price, there's the schipmann ebbe und flut and the mutator. pretty sure these are both stereo, but $$$$.

moving away from analogue, you could do a lot worse than a nord micro modular. you can set that up to do all sorts of stuff, including stereo filtering, and I think it always sounds very good for anything that doesn't involve the oscillators.

no real opinions on any software, sorry.
My name is Julian Higginson and I approve of this message.
no-fi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby RustyO » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:13 am

Chinagraf wrote:Anyone know of any filter plugins that actuslly sound good? None of the ones I've tried sound as good as the ones in my old synths. I have a Frostwave for mono stuff, but I need something stereo, preferably automatable.

FabFilter?
SoundToys?

tbh, I've not really used many vst filters, they never seem to cut it so well.

Chinagraf wrote:Anyone having any joy or should I hunt down an Akai one?

I could probably hook you up with one.

Sammas wrote:I really like the soundtoys filterfreak and the Sonalksis TBK-1. Perhaps the TBK-1 a little more as there really isn't much too it (simplicity is a beautiful thing sometimes).

I'll second the SoundToys FilterFreak. Pricey, but I quite like them.

no-fi wrote:filterbank is great! it's a really crazy thing. very unpredictable. been using synths for years, and I don't understand some of the things this unit does sometimes. but while it has 2 separate filters in it, it's not stereo.. and I'm sure the double version you can buy is not at all stereo linked with its controls.

Used to have a Sherman once upon a time, they can be a wild beast to tame.... I'l have to get another one some day.

no-fi wrote:I don't think the electrix filter factory is that horrible. does a certain thing, and works pretty well. main issue is in stereo mode it's only a 2 pole filter. this might not do what you want.

Personally not a fan of the Electrix, but thats just me.

no-fi wrote:if you want to go up a bit in price, there's the schipmann ebbe und flut and the mutator. pretty sure these are both stereo, but $$$$.

Mutator = yummy, but about US$1k at the moment? If you can find one... Ebbe und Flut seems quite nice as well, but never played with one, costs e1,000 from the maker.
Rusty O'Hara
Likes kittens, dislikes the giant ball of fire in the sky and knows for a fact that there is a rabbit in the moon.
RustyO

Postby Hybrid88 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:00 am

My vote goes for the Rodek/Sherman Restyler, really great little box if you're looking for a stereo filter.

http://www.rodec.com/productdetails.php?code=74

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t_LhkTKUOg&feature=player_embedded
Richard Antel

Fine connoisseur of all things synth.
Hybrid88
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to Vintage Synth Forum