Drumagog

A place to ask the basic questions, a place for students, newbies, and everyone else.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Drumagog

Postby Paul Maybury » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:02 pm

Hi, I am about to enter the unknown and mystical (to me at least) realm of drum replacement for a mix that has the wrong tom sound.
Does anyone have experience of the above software and it's built in samples? Particularly for toms.
Cheers, Paul
Paul Maybury
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Drumagog

Postby Ben M » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:54 pm

I can help Paul. I use it off and on.
Do you mean Tom samples in the demo library?
Ben M
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Paul Maybury » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:47 pm

Hi Ben, thanks. As far as I can tell the demo only comes with 1 snare and 1 kick. I think the versions that you pay for contain more samples than that, but not sure if a: they include toms and b: if these toms sound any good?
I had a play with the demo, it's pretty easy to use, so that's a plus.
Which version do you use, Ben?
Do I need to make or acquire an external sample library? I am trying to do this with the least amount of screwing around as possible. I just want better, more appropriate tom sound for one particular record I will start mixing in the next week.

Cheers, Paul
Paul Maybury
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Kurt » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:19 pm

Hey Paul, I bought it, after tossing up between Drumagog and Trigger. Doesn't need an iLok was what tipped me to Drumagog. There are quite a few samples you get with a full license. I think you would find something suitable for pretty much any style of music and you can create your own gog files from other libraries if you need to.

Edit: I think there are 8 sets of real toms and a few sets of electronic ones.
Last edited by Kurt on Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kurt Neist
Chief cook and bottle washer - Metalworx
Kurt
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Ben M » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:20 pm

I think I have version 5.
There is a sample library for free download. It should contain around 50 samples. (However, there is probably more sounds available for download these days but I tend to use my own).
The Tom sounds are ok (I don't use them tho). A bit basketball like. But you can do some tuning and eq-ing to get what you need.
You can enter your own samples easily enough. Very likely to be a tutorial online.
Ben M
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Kurt » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:26 pm

I downloaded all the available samples when I bought it, I have 606 gog files.

Ben M wrote:I think I have version 5.
There is a sample library for free download. It should contain around 50 samples. (However, there is probably more sounds available for download these days but I tend to use my own).
The Tom sounds are ok (I don't use them tho). A bit basketball like. But you can do some tuning and eq-ing to get what you need.
You can enter your own samples easily enough. Very likely to be a tutorial online.
Kurt Neist
Chief cook and bottle washer - Metalworx
Kurt
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Ben M » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:21 pm

The last time I would've downloaded their files would've been 2010. I have some other folders called rock snares and kicks. But like I said, When I use it I mainly use my sounds.

Kurt wrote:I downloaded all the available samples when I bought it, I have 606 gog files.

Ben M wrote:I think I have version 5.
Ben M
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby dave01.cooper » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:10 am

Hey Paul,

We own both Drumagog 5 & Trigger 2 and I can honestly say Trigger is the way to go as you can multi blend samples all together. This is a great feature because as Ben has said, the toms & even some snr/kick samples sound a bit basketbally so getting some to work with others is very handy. Drumagog is semi-solid & has nice samples but I found it quite buggy with HD10 & OS X 10.8.5, didn't like opening and closing the plugin window & would crash more often than not...

However - they all have their problems.

I'm still yet to print a whole track with either Drumagog, Trigger or even old Digidesign Soundreplacer that each sample is in 100% correct phase with the original track. There is always a few which slip out. I've tried every settings option (well at least I think I have!) & even contacted Slate (trigger) about this issue and they seemed to think that it was an ok tolerance if you have some 400 snare hits in a track if 10 of them are out of alignment. Personally I don't think so because what if you're using it as a live plugin and not printing?

All I'm saying is if you are printing them, check the alignment with the original just to be sure. More often than not you'll find it's slipped sometimes half to a full wavelength behind the hit.

Cheers
Dave Cooper

E - dave @ soundmachinestudios . com . au
W - soundmachinestudios.com.au
dave01.cooper
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Paul Maybury » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:21 pm

Thanks Dave, I finally installed Drumagog last night and appears to be running well with Logic 9.
Easy to use and it does help with the one specific application I bought it for!
I had fun playing with the Synth section.
Paul
Paul Maybury
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to You've gotta start somewhere.