Bedroom treatments

A place to ask the basic questions, a place for students, newbies, and everyone else.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Bedroom treatments

Postby chrisp » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:15 pm

Shame on you for thinking this is anything other than a recording topic!

The bedroom is a 3.5m x 6m box and of all places I am looking to place a vocal station in a corner (!!). The two options seems to be ...

Option A to face the talent diagonally into the centre of the room, record using a reflection filter and treat the corner behind the singer with corner baffles and acoustic tiles (I can hang doona-like material across the far wall as well) OR

Option B face the talent into the corner, use a reflection filter and hang the doona thing behind the talent (in which case I'm not sure that wall treatments would add anything).

Mic will be cardioid, wider rather than narrower, and the idea is to have a small floating platform under the mic stand.

I suppose there is an Option C which sees the talent face along the side of the long axis of the room with corner and wall treatment on the wall that would be straight ahead.

Any suggestions from the gurus on how to align the station and what materials I should be looking for?
Chris Preston
The man who gives meaning to the word amateur
chrisp

Re: Bedroom treatments

Postby chrisp » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:30 pm

... and just to confirm I am not looking for a free design service here (nod to Mark B) - the choice may well in the end be driven by the extraneous noise sources in the mic's pickup field. It's more a steer on the options than anything else
Chris Preston
The man who gives meaning to the word amateur
chrisp

Postby a.d.a.m. baby » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:07 pm

My fave mag, SOS, has a segment, example of here..
http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/ ... ames-welch

where they tackle these problems all the time. Free articles if older than 6 months. Often plenty of good tips.
a.d.a.m. baby

Postby rick » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:14 pm

really and ideally you want the singer with no walls or boundaries for 2meters plus in front of them and dead stuff behind 2 meters them and diffusion above them , that rarely if ever works out in practise .

I have sung into a corner and sung away from a corner , its more vibe not to look at the corner when you sing .

I have no idea whatsoever what the rocket science behind all those reflection filters is
I tried one just one time and thought , i must be catching a different train to everybody else ,

I want a clear open space in front of a singer with nothing coming back at me in a real hurry not a dead field two inches from the back of a mic .

it looks scientific so that must be it .

I hang my big mics upside because that looks scientific too so i probably should not though stones .
Rick O'Neil
I think we went to different schools together
turtlerockmastering.com
we listen
rick

Postby Trent Griggs » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:54 pm

rick wrote:really and ideally you want the singer with no walls or boundaries for 2meters plus in front of them and dead stuff behind 2 meters them and diffusion above them , that rarely if ever works out in practise .

I have sung into a corner and sung away from a corner , its more vibe not to look at the corner when you sing .

I have no idea whatsoever what the rocket science behind all those reflection filters is
I tried one just one time and thought , i must be catching a different train to everybody else ,

I want a clear open space in front of a singer with nothing coming back at me in a real hurry not a dead field two inches from the back of a mic .

it looks scientific so that must be it .

I hang my big mics upside because that looks scientific too so i probably should not though stones .

They are very expensive pieces of marketing. I use mine to drape a heavy blanket over, covering the top of the mic because it cops heaps of reflections heading straight down off my very live varnished wood ceiling, and it also dangles down each side of the reflection filter, stopping any rogue reflections coming in from the sides. Then I have two 3 meter high telescopic photographic light stands placed behind me with a heavy sleeping bag rigged off of them. It sucks, the vibe is claustrophobic and awful, and I hate it. The sound is uninspiring, but at least there's no comb filtering. But who cares, I still hate it :((

Working in a small room sucks, but vocals in a small room really sucks.
That being said it's a double room, I've never had my own space ever until now, it fits all my gear and I could swing more than one cat, plus I have very enviable views so no complaints here.
Trent Griggs

"The Original Tasmanian"
Trent Griggs

Postby Paul Maybury » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:47 pm

Heavy blockout curtain, deeply draped, hanging about 4" of the walls. Some soft stuff on the ceiling.
And an EV RE18 or 16.
Paul
Paul Maybury
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to You've gotta start somewhere.