What's wrong with this Neumann mic ?

A place to ask the basic questions, a place for students, newbies, and everyone else.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

What's wrong with this Neumann mic ?

Postby NYMo » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:09 pm

Hey..I don't know too much about Mics...like refurbing them...but I know where they plug in ;)
There is a. Mic. I'm interested in on EBay which is a Neumann Gefell M592 tube mic for around $1k.
It was up there for a week but wasn't snapped up..is it a good mic ( for Acc guitar ) ??
Is there something wrong with it ?
I is it a complete dog ?
Looked pretty reasonable to me for a vintage tube mic.?
I await the brains trust.
Cheers
JNN
John NYMo Nyman

Not too old to Rock n Roll...not too young to die !
NYMo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: What's wrong with this Neumann mic ?

Postby Text_Edifice » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:52 pm

I would guess there's nothing wrong with it - maybe unknown / incorrectly labelled (m582)?

If it came without a power supply that's pretty normal money for an m582 on ebay (I think) and maybe not that great a deal?
Dave Carter

http://www.twitter.com/davecarter
Text_Edifice
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby NYMo » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:15 am

Thanks Dave...it's got the psu and the full Monty..I is it too doi with the capsule it comes with ...a M 62 ?
Cheers
JNN
John NYMo Nyman

Not too old to Rock n Roll...not too young to die !
NYMo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Text_Edifice » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:07 am

my understanding is that the m62 capsules are very very similar to those found in km54's and basically the same as an gefell m94 with a slightly different mount.

As above, not sure if the m592 is the same as Gefell m582 but it sounds like it's very similar (tube mic with a similar circuit and capsule to a km54).

Sounds interesting to me - bearing in mind the capsule may need to be reskinned, power supply / mic may need work.

May have not sold because it would have not shown up on searches for gefell m582's?
Dave Carter

http://www.twitter.com/davecarter
Text_Edifice
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby mylesgm » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:05 am

I saw it. It definitely looks like an m582, the capsule is semi permanent fixed but is an excellent cardioid cap it just can't be swapped out for the others in the modular family. It's a great mic and that's a great price, I already have three so...
Myles Mumford
Producer/Composer/Engineer/Sound Artist
Making records in sunny Melbourne

www.mylesmumford.com
mylesgm
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Djembe » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:56 am

I say that one on Ebay. I already have an M582 and was tempted by that one too. They are excellent mics and the interchangeable caps make them quite versatile. That particular one with the M62 cap is an older model with the cap fixed, meaning as it is, you can't swap the caps. It is possible to get it modified to a threaded mount.
I already had the threaded mount on mine, but sent it to Andreas Grosser who modded it to also accept the U70 large diaphragm head. He also upgraded some other components for lower noise response.
If it's working OK it would be a good buy at that price, but you never know with mics of that age.
Blair Greenberg
Djembe
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Return to You've gotta start somewhere.