Childhood Piece

A place to ask the basic questions, a place for students, newbies, and everyone else.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Childhood Piece

Postby DwaneHollands » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:37 pm

Hi Guys,

I recorded another short orchestration piece. I wrote the main melody when I was 14 or younger. Can't remember exactly. But i'm 30 now, so I have been playing it for YEARs! lol. "That's it! I gotta record it finally!"

I think my top end is a bit shrill. Any comments or critics welcomed. It is a little rough with timings etc.

regards,

Dwane

http://www.hollands.com.au/R21Studios/A ... dPiece.mp3
Dwane Hollands

Hollands Print Solutions
www.hollands.com.au
DwaneHollands
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby TimS » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:12 pm

that was cool..
needs some nice largish chamber reverb to give it some space..
Tim Spencer
Pressurepoint Studios
TimS
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby DwaneHollands » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:10 am

Cool.

I've got some bricasti m7 impulse responses but not a very good plugin that loads them. Basically just let's me adjust wet dry levels. (load cab ir's in there for example)

should I apply the same chamber impulse to every instrument, break it down into groups of instruments (strings vs trumpets) or down to each instrument (each violin, each cello etc)
Dwane Hollands

Hollands Print Solutions
www.hollands.com.au
DwaneHollands
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chinagraf » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:29 am

Have you tried SIR (impulse response plug - free) for running the M7 impulses?
You should just setup one instance (plate or hall depending on your preferences)on a send and send varying levels of each instrument to it. Have a look at an orchestra layout and send a bit more of the instruments at teh back (like percussion) to the verb. If you are using all midi/samples and they are a bit dry/flat it also helps to send everything to a real small room as well to get a little space on them.
I use 'studioB far' on my M7 for this sort of thing all the time.
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby DwaneHollands » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:33 pm

Hey Andy!

Thanks for those Tips. Interesting about the little room technique. I'd set that up as a separate Auxillary right? and just blend with the Large Cathedral Auxilery. Or SMALL ROOM into Large Cathedral?

Unforutnately, I'm on Mac and no FREE version of the SIR plugin on mac. Just PC at the moment. Running in Reaper. At least it does VST though, as there's more FREE VST's than RTAS! I'll do some more searching for a FREE VST IR reverb plugin.
Dwane Hollands

Hollands Print Solutions
www.hollands.com.au
DwaneHollands
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chinagraf » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:08 pm

If it's a lot of tracks I would set it up on an aux send and blend to taste. Not so loud that you can hear it as a seperate effect, but loud enough so you don't really notice it, but if you mute the short reverb you notice 'something' has gone.
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Chinagraf » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:12 pm

Can't edit, so..it also helps to wind a little top end off instruments that are seated at the back of the 'orchestra' to create a bit of back/front depth (because top end drops over distance)
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby DwaneHollands » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:57 pm

Sorry for the late response. Have been thinking that this is probably the key to being able to build bigger, thicker orchestration. I find I stop adding extra parts (divisi parts) too soon since there's not enough room for any more. I will experiment with this.
Dwane Hollands

Hollands Print Solutions
www.hollands.com.au
DwaneHollands
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to You've gotta start somewhere.