ok need advice on a great stereo channel strip ( or 2 mono)

A place to ask the basic questions, a place for students, newbies, and everyone else.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

ok need advice on a great stereo channel strip ( or 2 mono)

Postby amnesia » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:52 pm

I own modular gear and whilst they are analogue I still want to add something before they hit my Fireface 400

I am trying out some Empirical Labs Mike E and LilFrEQs at the moment

But want to see what else people would recommend.

I have been looking at the Chandler Tone Control ( will need 2 for stereo) and DAV Electronics BG1 as an option but then I dont have limiter/comp

I love the idea of tape compression too

Love to hear peoples thoughts, and again its SYNTH only for me , no vocals, snares etc

I am mainly doing avant electronics, so not so note based music as such if that helps, mainly transient sounds etc

Ross
Ross Healy
Electronic Artist/Sound Designer
VICMOD RECORDS
http://www.vicmod.net
MODULAR VIDS
http://www.youtube.com/user/cray56
amnesia

Postby Ben M » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:22 pm

Hi Ross

I like the idea of of the overall chain - Pre/eq through 2 track 1/4" or 1/2" (or 3 track if you need to sync). It would help to smooth some of those transients. And give those modulars heaps of depth.
Why not start with some german pre's up front, then 2 x pultec epq1's followed by a fat 1" 2 track? Only teasing.
But that would be my 2 cents.
Ben M
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby jkhuri44 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:55 pm

Ben Moore wrote:Hi Ross

I like the idea of of the overall chain - Pre/eq through 2 track 1/4" or 1/2" (or 3 track if you need to sync). It would help to smooth some of those transients. And give those modulars heaps of depth.
Why not start with some german pre's up front, then 2 x pultec epq1's followed by a fat 1" 2 track? Only teasing.

might sound like a blatant plug, but hit up heathen, selling some of his gear, that pendulum compressor he has does ridiculous things to electronic music :-) or one of his German EQs...very nice. Would suite IDMy sorta stuff. They would provide the sorta colour u might like.
Jamil Khuri
Amusement & Audio Engineer
"it's not awesome unless its 240bpm with distorted 909 kicks!"
jkhuri44
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

might sound like a blatant plug, but hit up heathen, selling some of his gear, that pendulum compressor he has does ridiculous things to electronic music :-) or one of his German EQs...very nice. Would suite IDMy sorta stuff. They would provide the sorta colour u might like.
Jamil Khuri
jkhuri44
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Jamil Khuri
jkhuri44
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby amnesia » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:56 pm

cheers Ben

I am new to outboard grear well at least havent touched any for 15 years.. Can you give me some names / brands to look at?
Ross Healy
VICMOD RECORDS
MODULAR VIDS
amnesia

Postby heathen » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:28 am

Hey Ross,

What's your budget? What sort of analog sound you after, gritty and in your face or more of a smoother "big" sound? Budget really is everything, the more you spend the better it sounds, it sux but that's life, heh.

As Jamil said (thanks for the plugs man, heh) the ES-8 does great things to audio but it is bloody expensive, it's big and smooth. On the other hand as an example a Smart C2 with the "crush" button on will give you a gritty and in you're face sound at the touch of a button, you just need an eq after it to shape the output sound. Very expensive option also.

I'd probably look into a pair of SSL channel strips, very expensive also but probably just what you're looking for. Though Myles idea would sound great too, probably better, heh.
Heath Smith
heathen
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby mylesgm » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:30 am

Not sure which idea was mine but yeah my idea's are always better...

M
Myles Mumford
Producer/Composer/Engineer/Sound Artist
Making records in sunny Melbourne

www.mylesmumford.com
mylesgm
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby heathen » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:33 am

Ooooops, sorry Myles, I meant Ben's idea. Great when you have a good idea you don't even know you had hey?
Heath Smith
heathen
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby mylesgm » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:41 am

I love good ideas...problem is remembering which ones were good ideas and which ones I thought were good ideas at the time.
Myles Mumford
Producer/Composer/Engineer/Sound Artist
Making records in sunny Melbourne

www.mylesmumford.com
mylesgm
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby heathen » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:47 am

Yeah gotta agree there.
Heath Smith
heathen
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby jkhuri44 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:08 am

i think ur gonna want something with some colour/clarity...some German vintage eq action would be great....getting the tops of any electronic work, especially chirpy IDM high end would do with some rounding off through some phat german stuff imo.

as for compression, i cant recommend the ES8 enough, sounds farkin sick.
Jamil Khuri
jkhuri44
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby vanderlae » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:27 am

Colour, smoothing out and widening/fattening. Distortion is one way.

Something like the Culture Vulture would be ideal - instantly make your tracks fatter.

There are plenty of other things that will do similar thought. Cranesong HEDD192 for one, I use that and love it.

Also Chandler TG2 (EMI/Abbey Road) - it's just a stereo preamp but it's a bloody awesome and when you push it the sound is really thick and very tasty. And I'm selling mine. $2650

Like this:

David Spall
vanderlae
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby tunetown » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:44 pm

The API 7600 is quite possibly the best full channel strip i've used. It is the full strip used on the Legacy console.

Check it out http://www.apiaudio.com/7600.html .

You can also multiple strips into a nice console with the addition of the 7800 master section. http://www.apiaudio.com/7800.html .

Its a great way to start small and build over time.

Cheers
tunetown
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chris H » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:50 pm

Being Synth only i think a nice transformer balanced eq would be the go. Also inductor based eq has a lot going for it in the tone department.
The Purple Audio 4 Band Inductor eq is a bit of kit that would fit the bill. Depending on your budget, sooner or later you could get a pair of comps to add to your chain.The Purple Audio Action FET Compressor would do the job.

There is Plenty to choose from in the 500 type options inc Buzz Audio, Inward Connections Pendulum
Chris Hallam.
https://soundcloud.com/hallamsound
Whatever floats your boat.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: ok need advice on a great stereo channel strip ( or 2 mo

Postby Chris H » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:54 pm

amnesia wrote: edited............
I am mainly doing avant electronics, so not so note based music as such if that helps, mainly transient sounds etc..........

Ross

........forgot to mention the SPL Transient designer could be a usefull addition to your kit.
Chris Hallam.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: ok need advice on a great stereo channel strip ( or 2 mo

Postby jithknot » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:59 pm

Chris H wrote:
amnesia wrote: edited............
I am mainly doing avant electronics, so not so note based music as such if that helps, mainly transient sounds etc..........

Ross

........forgot to mention the SPL Transient designer could be a usefull addition to your kit.

+1

those things are darn good
Jithin Chand
jithknot

Postby Gian » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:18 pm

If you wanted to go 500 series modules, you could get a 6 space lunch box and put in...

2 x TG type pres
2 x eqs
2 x compressors

there are lots of brands that will work. I just have JLM Audio stuff in my 6 space lunchbox.

but you could get JLM TG500 for pres, get his PEQ500, and then into his new FET compressor FC500.

I just like JLM stuff.

Not sure of your budget though.
Gian Parodi
It's the first watt that counts
Gian
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby HA_DA_JA » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:46 pm

I was thinking of waiting for Rupert Neves' Portico II channel strips to hit Australia and see how they sound?
Dale Smith
HA_DA_JA
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby amnesia » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:40 am

Thanks everyone, appreciate the advice/

I have spoken to a few friends who have suggested the Avalon 747sp

I was also keen to try the the Thermionic Rooster, not sure who stocks them in AUst/ Melb,

I did look into the JLM 500 series

I guess my budget is $4500
Ross Healy
VICMOD RECORDS
MODULAR VIDS
amnesia

Postby jkhuri44 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:31 am

amnesia wrote:Thanks everyone, appreciate the advice/

I have spoken to a few friends who have suggested the Avalon 747sp

I was also keen to try the the Thermionic Rooster, not sure who stocks them in AUst/ Melb,

I did look into the JLM 500 series

I guess my budget is $4500

not sure the Avalon is gonna do much for you...especially in the type of sounds your coming up with...it is very clean sounding? just my opinion though. would be good to have clean outboard of course though...
Jamil Khuri
jkhuri44
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby no-fi » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:54 am

do you really need fine dynamics and EQ control on a recording input for modular gear? (post processing is another story) But at the time of recording you should be able to get a lot of that right just with a modular.

I totally understand the need for a limiter as modular synth sounds can go from not loud enough to way too loud with a single random knob twist, but a limiter is different to recording channel compression most strips will have.

maybe look into preamps that give "character" if you want to start somewhere. I have a friend with stereo great river pre (ME2-NV ??)and it sounds really nice over his stereo mixdown. I can't explain exactly what it does to the sound, but the music just sounds better and more "there" when it's engaged. I'd like one, some day... or some JLM kit equivalent if there is such a thing......
:-)

but the problem with going for these character preamps, is your choice will be personal. maybe worthwhile getting some different pres on hire, and see what you like the sound of best with your gear??
My name is Julian Higginson and I approve of this message.
no-fi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chris H » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:14 pm

Didn't know your budget, so my earlier comments were more cost efective options..... I've owned an Avalon 747 for about 8 yeard and they are a great sounding bit of gear that are quite versatile so for tone shaping and compression of your synth sounds it would be great. It does not add the crunch etc that some other options, would. Subtle saturation though can be achieved by gaining up on the input with the gain pot ant the 10db switch and using the valve topology.
Chris Hallam.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby harry » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:39 pm

Hey Ross,

i think there is a thermonic rooster or something similar at AWAVE in sth yarra - they are probably the only shop in melb with proper serious outboard and heaps of it - the guys are friendly and competitive as well,

but beware - when you walk in there it will be the best and worst day of your life!

i wont spoil the surprise(s) but i wouldn't be surprised if you walk out of there minus $4500 with something other than outboard....

the place is a 'time machine'.... it messed with my head - like i was in a magical dream world of my own making...
make sure you go upstairs to the pro audio room,

let us know what happens when you do,

disco harry
harry
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby amnesia » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:12 pm

Hi Harry

I live in Awave :-) But really have only paid attention to the synths. Will go check the Rooster Monday
Ross Healy
VICMOD RECORDS
MODULAR VIDS
amnesia

Postby Ben M » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:31 pm

harry wrote:but beware - when you walk in there it will be the best and worst day of your life!

the place is a 'time machine'.... it messed with my head - like i was in a magical dream world of my own making...

disco harry

Words of wisdom Disco Harry.

Amnesia I'd say keep your setup yours and original and don't buy into the general hardware outboard. Experiment with the things that feel logical and work up and original setup regardless of brands and models. I'd push the sound that you know and love like modular and analog from the good ol' days. There's a reason they had so much depth and dynamic.

Updated opinion if you can stretch your budget or if you care is - a pair of V72's or V76's into pultec's into driven fairchild 670 limiter into 1" 2 track. Just teasing again. Annoying isn't it. Welcome to the world of outboard envy.
Ben M
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Linear » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:08 pm

Hi,

I would recommend a Langevin Dual Vocal Combo. Forget what the name says - you get two channels of 40db solid state gain, some EQ options, and a pair of opto compressors that can be patched in separately. It's got manley transformers, is made in the US by manley and is ~cheap~. you could almost afford two with your budget...

I wouldn't recommend a culture vulture, unless you've already got a bunch of stuff. same goes with a transient designer, they're kinda one-trick ponies. (i have one of each).

V72 - wouldn't recommend that either. great for vocals, but only in some situations. Not sure about an avalon either, the comp is a bit ho-hum. eq is nice though.

i reckon forget the 500 series stuff too. everyone i know buys, then trades or sells them a short time later (kinda like kids used to do with cricket cards). opinions may vary, but they're a bit fadish to me. i don't know what it is that I don't like about them, the kinda look like small, cheap toys, or 'make-believe' outboard to me (particularly the tube stuff...)

your kilometreage may vary...

Chris
Chris Vallejo
Linear Recording
http://www.linear-recording.com.au
Linear
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby harry » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:34 pm

[quote="amnesia"]Hi Harry

I live in Awave :-) But really have only paid attention to the synths. Will go check the Rooster Monday[/quote]

Hey Ross,

yeah - the SYNTHS!!! - that's what i was referring to.. - every analogue synth you could ever want and then another dozen or two more.... his keyboards are newer than when they came out of the factory.... half the frontpanels have been repainted and relabeled - so yeah it's a total mindwarp - you walk in there and it feels and looks like the way a nice musicstore might have looked in say 1984...

how about some effects? like filters, delays, flangers, phasers?
harry
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby amnesia » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:56 pm

I have heaps of delays, phasers etc

I went to Awave today and had a go on the Thermionic Rooster and liked it, although its a shame it doesnt have more eq options.

I then had a listen to the Mercury M72s and liked that , need to go again tomorrow and have another listen

Would love a great stereo eq and compressor now to maybe add to the Rooster
Ross Healy
VICMOD RECORDS
MODULAR VIDS
amnesia

Return to You've gotta start somewhere.