non audio question....

A place to ask the basic questions, a place for students, newbies, and everyone else.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

non audio question....

Postby harry » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:20 pm

hey guys,

i thought id mix it up a little and ask you all an 'automotive' question as im sure many of you are mechanically minded....

i'm looking at a car (alfa romeo 156.....have read the horror stories but they are quite nice)

and on checking its history - i noticed that it had a 'cylinder head reco' at 120000k

Is this something to worry about? and what would it say about the rest of the engine....
the car drives well and no smoke on cold start, good power... but it just got me thinking that should a car with 120000ks have a head go as a normal thing... or has the car been thrashed and or left with low oil...

i was assuming that if it has all been fixed it should be like before (good),

any ideas?

Harry.A
harry
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby rick » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:02 pm

any ideas
only one
dont buy an alfa if you dont already know the answer ;0
Last edited by rick on Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick O'Neil
I think we went to different schools together
turtlerockmastering.com
we listen
rick

Postby headman » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:03 pm

I have an Alfa 147 Ti, and don't believe all you read. Sure, they are not like a Toyota or Mazda or any other car for that matter (boring is what they are), but Alfas these days are a really great car (that means they don't rust like they used to), and handle like a dream. One thing though every 60.000 klms you need to get the timing belt changed so that means now, not next month, or sometime down the track. That costs about $1,200, but go to an Alfa mechanic, NOT a Dealer. The service is every 20,000 klms and costs about $320, make sure you use Selena racing oil, you will need to top it up before the next service, but that too is par for the course. Manual gearbox is better than selespeed. Join the club, it's a great car and used 156's are a good price now as new models are about to hit.
headman

Return to You've gotta start somewhere.