panning in an untreated room

A place to ask the basic questions, a place for students, newbies, and everyone else.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

panning in an untreated room

Postby jithknot » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:17 pm

Ive been contemplating on getting monitors for my tiny bedroom so that i can mix, but i know my room acoustics are poo.
but i was thinking of getting a pair anyway, just to check panning and dynamics, and then mix on my headphones.

is this even worth doing? am i being stupid?

i would love everyone's suggestions and critiques on this.
Jithin Chand
jithknot

Postby 13thbeach » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:34 pm

Always good to cross reference in any situation, but I'd say save your dollars use your lounge room stereo .... if you have one.
Mat Robins
Coloursound Recording Studio
13thbeach
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Mac » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:29 pm

and then your car......and then your other cheap stereo......etc etc....
Cameron Milne

______Vault Audio Sunshine Coast_________
Mac

Postby mark rachelle » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:39 pm

i think that its a good idea to get some reasonable monitors, after all its a better perspective and most people listen to music in less than ideal places, so your circumstances are not just yours, anyway after all what is ideal?, certainly listening on other sets and different places will be the key to finding the right balance.
mark rachelle

Re: panning in an untreated room

Postby Ben M » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:18 pm

What about a set of those new fancy auratones? Or those tiny Genelecs? The car can be an valuable reference.

jithknot wrote:is this even worth doing? am i being stupid?

I want my own little pirate radio station in the studio with radio hardware/limiters/etc were I can transmit as I mix to the crap stereo in the corner. Is this being stupid? :)

More seriously, I'd check into those fancy auratones and keep them nice and close to you when you mix (closer than nearfield).

All the best
Ben M
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby jithknot » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:14 am

thanks for all your suggestions guys.
i think i misinterpreted my question.
what i meant was
i want to mix n my little bedroom (which has horrible acoustics hehe)
so since its silly to completely depend on monitors to mix, i was wondering if it was logical to use monitors, just for panning, and dynamics, and then use headphones for everything else
Jithin Chand
jithknot

Postby heathen » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:58 am

Use both, get a good compromise between the 2, then start checking it on other systems in different places. After a while you'll start seeing similar problems in your mixes because of where it's mixed, this is a good thing as it means you are being consistant and making the same issues each time.

keep these in mind as you can learn to compensate for room issues. The room in my old house was shocking, was long and narrow but I still pulled a good sound most of the time. Having a good room with good acoustic properties just takes most of the compensatory stuff and guesswork away and you can be more certain of where you are at.

So yeah it's a good idea to use both for sure. I always like having 2 sets of monitors and headphones to check things, once a mix starts sounding good on all 3 sets you know you're in the ballpark.
Heath Smith
heathen
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby reddirt » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:02 am

Focal have a new small monitor due - $999 - check the A-wave site. It may be a good option and would serve as a 2nd monitor if you eventually get bigger.
The small size may suit poor acoustics.
I have the Avantone mixcubes which are good for checking reverb / compression/ panning and balance however they are hard work on bass and maybe a small full range monitor such as the Focals which possibly have some bass ability but won't over excite the room may cover that ground a bit better.
I have no experience with them so it's pure conjecture from me at this stage.
Cheers, Ross
reddirt

Return to You've gotta start somewhere.